Fastest murcers for May 16-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest murcers for May 16-23

<TABLE BORDER=1><TR><TH>name</TH><TH>wus</TH><TH>hours</TH><TH>average</TH></TR><TR><TD>Rags</TD><TD>44</TD><TD>91.15</TD><TD>2h 4m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Manex</TD><TD>148</TD><TD>428.73</TD><TD>2h 54m</TD></TR><TR><TD>jms</TD><TD>70</TD><TD>350.64</TD><TD>5h 1m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Mark F.</TD><TD>110</TD><TD>613.62</TD><TD>5h 35m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Guyver</TD><TD>47</TD><TD>262.98</TD><TD>5h 36m</TD></TR><TR><TD>KvHagedorn</TD><TD>64</TD><TD>360.95</TD><TD>5h 38m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Eye MD</TD><TD>28</TD><TD>160.90</TD><TD>5h 45m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Andrew Gallagher</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>87.66</TD><TD>5h 51m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Jorden</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>49.84</TD><TD>6h 14m</TD></TR><TR><TD>sleepingdragon</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>93.32</TD><TD>6h 40m</TD></TR><TR><TD>hominid skull</TD><TD>11</TD><TD>74.03</TD><TD>6h 44m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Jakob Kruse</TD><TD>44</TD><TD>301.30</TD><TD>6h 51m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Greebe</TD><TD>64</TD><TD>438.30</TD><TD>6h 51m</TD></TR><TR><TD>CHHAS</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>160.22</TD><TD>6h 58m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Atelier Media</TD><TD>49</TD><TD>350.64</TD><TD>7h 9m</TD></TR><TR><TD>minsoo</TD><TD>23</TD><TD>167.52</TD><TD>7h 17m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Ackerot</TD><TD>20</TD><TD>148.63</TD><TD>7h 26m</TD></TR><TR><TD>msanto</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>59.91</TD><TD>7h 29m</TD></TR><TR><TD>paulcs</TD><TD>69</TD><TD>525.96</TD><TD>7h 37m</TD></TR><TR><TD>Winwiz</TD><TD>79</TD><TD>613.62</TD><TD>7h 46m</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Martin
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Back up to 4th even with slower times!!

Mark F.

------------------
      OH NO, my retractable cup holder swallowed a DVD...
      and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
      --------------------------------------------------
      and burped out a movie

Comment

What seems to be the most efficient OS for crunching WU's? I've got some extra hardware at home that I still dont' have doing anything, and at this point I could put just about anything on it (K62-400@66FSB, dual P-150, maybe a P-200).

Charles

p.s. Don't worry, I'll never end up on the fastest murcers list with that dual P-150 (not to mention a couple of P-166's here at work).

p.p.s. Manex: Don't think I've given up on catching back up to you!
        A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Comment

Charles, I didn't think for a minute that you had given up! Since we've been running neck and neck here lately, I find myself checking the stats page a little more often than usual! I've also been keeping a closer watch on my clients to make sure they are still crunching since SETI has been having a few server hiccups of late. BTW, does anyone know if the newest unix version of the client (the one that is silent to the shell window) is any faster than the previous version? I kind of like the "% complete" messages to the shell window, so I know where my clients stand in the crunching process. If the newer version is faster, then I'd consider upgrading...

Eric
          ABIT BF6, P3-600E FC-PGA @800, 128MB Crucial 7ns SDRAM, IBM Deskstar 10GXP, Matrox Millenium G400 DH 32MB, Sound Blaster Live!, D-LINK 10/100 Ethernet, Adaptec 2940UW, Plextor 32X CDROM, Plextor 4X/12X CD-R, SCSI Zip Drive, Motorola Cybersurfr Cable Modem

Comment

Manex,

I don't know if it's faster, but you can easily force the new client to behave like the old one: add "-verbose" to the startup-command, and hey presto.

Either that, or check the state.sah file for the "prog=..." line. 'grep prog state.sah' or even 'bash -c "while true; do grep prog state.sah; sleep 10; done"' should get you started.

CharlesWA: in the older versions, the linux-client was much faster than the DOS-client, but I don't think the difference (if any) is that big now. Win2K seems to be relatively efficient, but that's not really an option on that kind of hardware

Martin

Comment

Charles,
              on my fastest machine Win98 seems to be a bit more efficient than Win2k or NT. Win98 crunches them in four and a half hours, and 2k in ~five hours.
              This is with commandline v2.4.
              jms

Comment

Well after a little reconstruction, I am now averaging just under 5hrs per unit.

I took out that now definitive POJ (piece of JUNK) BE6-II, and put back the solid BE6. Also installed WMEB3, in place of W98SE and it seems to be flying along at a good pace..

Go Team!!

Guyv

------------------
                Favorite Quote from the past: "I am Pentium of Intel. Precision is Futile. You will be aproximated!"

OK, Here's the rig...

ABIT BE6
                PC Power & Cooling 425W ATX PS
                PIII650E@866 (1.65V) with Alpha P3125S Cooler and 2 27CFM 4500RPM+ Fans
                2xVantec Slot Coolers (40CFM each)
                2xUnder the drive HD Coolers
                2x128MB PC133HSDRAM
                2xMaxtor DiamondMax Plus 20.4GB UDMA/66 Drives
                2xQuantum Atlas 10K Ultra160/m 18.2GB Drives (Moved to Server Being Built)
                Adaptec ASC-29160 Ultra160/m controller (Moved to Server being built)
                Matrox G400MAX (not OC'd)
                MAG DX-715T
                SBLive!Retail
                3Com 3CR990-TX-95 NIC
                3Com USRobotics 56K Voice Faxmodem Pro (USB/Serial)
                HP Deskjet 895CXi (USB/Parallel)
                HP 6200Cse Scanner (USB/SCSI)
                Iomega ZIP 100 ATAPI
                Imation LS120 ATAPI Iomega Jaz 1GB SCSI (Moved to Server being built)
                HP 8200i ATAPI
                Matshita 3X DVDROM ATAPI
                Kenwood 52X TrueX Ultra SCSI (Moved to Server Being Built)
                Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 Dolby Digital Sound System
                3Com HomeConnect USB DC

Did I get too much? No!
                Did I spend too much? (Total package about 6.25KUSD) - I'd say that's a Yes!
                Am I having too much fun? Absolutely!

Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                - 6.1 Digital Audio
                - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                - LS120 IDE Floppy
                - Zip 100 IDE
                - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                - NEC FE950
                - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Far more impressive than my little $250 (US) shopping trip. I got an In-Win Full Tower case (with 300 watt ATX PS), ASUS P3V4X motherboard, ASUS CPU Temperature probe, and 3 standard 80 mm (I think) case fans.

What's the HSDRAM going to do that SDRAM won't do? I was thinking of picking up a couple of 128 MB sticks of Micron/Crucial PC133 CL=2 SDRAM in a couple of weeks. I've got assorted PC100 stuff right now (but that won't stop me from going to 133 FSB with my CPU!). Should I be looking for HSDRAM instead? Or waiting for VCSDRAM??? I know my board supports all 3 types. Where'd you get the HSDRAM from?

Also, how do you like that Alpha cooler? If it'll fit on my board, I'm going to get one on the way for my system as well. Do you have a Peltier, or is the Alpha sufficient on its own?

Thanks,

Charles

Comment

After some careful measurements I concluded that the Alpha wouldn't quite fit on the ASUS P3V4X. It would have interefered with the DIMM slot closest to the CPU by just a few milimeters. Oh well. I've got a Global Win VOS32 on the way from 2CoolTek. That should be almost as good. I'll keep everybody posted on my upgrade process. I don't have time to totally migrate my hardware tonight, so I'm not going to risk losing Seti time .

Charles

Comment

Don't bother with Vertual Chanal. As for HSDRAm vs Crucial, well how far above 133 are thinking of going? If not much them go for the cheaper solution. A peltier shouldn't be neccessary for most OCing.

CPUs for OCing are a real crap shoot. I got a 650E the same week and from the same place as Guyver and can't get it to run at 133MHZ . In the same system a 550 was no problem at 133, so I know the CPU is the problem. Also it's not heat as it will post but won't finnish loading Windows, too fast to be a heat issue. Oh well won't complain about running over 800 without stability problems.

Keep cranking it up,
                      Mark F.

------------------
                      and burped out a movie

Mark F. (A+, Network+, & CCNA)
                      --------------------------------------------------
                      and burped out a movie

Comment

Mark F,

If I mange to get this guy (retail PIII 450, don't have the stepping/batch info handy) running at 133 FSB (600) then I'll be really happy. The P3V4X will let me run the CPU FSB at 133 and the memory at 100 (as well as keeping PCI and AGP in spec), which is what I'll initially try. Of course none of this is going to happen until my nice new cooler gets here in a few days.

As for retractable cupholders, I can't find mine!!! Is it possible that I don't have one? Sure, one drive will eat a DVD or a CD with no problems, but it's cupholder doesn't work! The other drive will eat 4 CDs, but it doesn't have a cupholder either!?!? How can this be.

Comment

Sorry for the delays.. I'm rebuilding my main (non-server) system right now. I'm doing this from my firewall (NetIce Defender) a compaq presario 5204 (updated to a k6-2 400) that I've got all of $50USD invested in.

The Alpha cooler is nice, but takes up a lot of real-estate.

With all the fans going on in there, the case temp never rises above 34C, and the CPU hovers in the 36C area. No peltiers necessary.

Mark - sorry to hear that you have problems with your 650E.. I guess I just got lucky... You are quite correct in that it's a crap shoot. I've blown a lot of money on non OC'able processors (PIII600, PIII700E) - a lot of money... sheesh...

Anyway,

The HSDRAM is a little more pricey, but in the proper board handles at least 150FSB at CAS3. At 133FSB, CAS2 with 2 sticks of 128MB is not a problem at all. Now if only the BE6 would run @ 150 (the BE6-II took a serious dump at anything higher than 133 with my configuration - mostly due to the SCSI I thought, but now there's no scsi, and still 140 appears untenable.

Heck, it could be my fancy-dancy HSDRAM causing the problems, or it could be my Processor is stable @ 133, but not at 140... These are the games we play, and mostly they are fun - with the occasional frustration overload.

Guyver
                          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                          - 6.1 Digital Audio
                          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                          - LS120 IDE Floppy
                          - Zip 100 IDE
                          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                          - NEC FE950
                          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

Working...
                          X