Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding the stupid SETI icon in system bar

CHAAS

I know The_One personally ,he was (just left his old job)a network manager (something like that) at his job and therefore he has the authority to install programs as he wishes I believe.The reason that he hides them is to stop any users from interfering with them ,not to keep it covert from anyone above .
    Of course The_One is better qualified to answer so I'll see if I can get him to answer
    Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
    2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Missed you at our refugee thread in Off Topic on AT, Assim

I thought you would be looking for some of us to show up there... snif

Jord
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hiding the stupid SETI icon in system bar

Is there any way to hide the SETI icon when running the screensaver version.
      the Techs at school see then and shut it off...
      Ive already Disabled the ScreenSaver, but the damn icon is giving me away. Is there anyway to get ride of it. If so this means like 80 pIII 600's and 120 p233mmx crunching 24/7 for the team.... And me of course.

Comment

Dyre,

I think Seti Spy will let you hide the command-line version, which would be even better.

No first-hand experience though, and I dunno about hiding the screensaver version.

Martin

Comment

can the cmd version be set up to start on restarts and stuff?

I dont have time to check on these systems, so they basically need to be started and work all the time by thmeselfs.... even after reboot. thats why im running the screensaver version now.

Comment

Dyre

Sh*t! I thought you were kidding when you said 80 PIII 600's! :Q
            *runs away & hides*
            Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

But i need to get them running w/ out anyone knowing

Nope on the NT thing, they all run 95 (Stupid School. i dont understand that)

Comment

Isn't the screen blanker version capable of ... errrm ... blanking the screen ?

Even the MAC version offers it, but 1 minute is the smallest timeframe before going to a black screen. I think the PC version offers immediate blanking.

Screenblankers will extend the lifetime of your monitors ...

... snip ...

D'oh !

Hit me ... you were asking how to hide the icon ... Moooooo !

Sorry, I slightly missed the target.

But isn't the icon exchangeable like the big desktop ones ?
                If so, you could use any AntiVirus icon to get your ticket to the big WU crunching farm.

CYa,
                Maggi
                Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

If you are running Windows NT or 2000, it should be possible to install the SETI client as a system service. You can do this manually, or by using FireDaemon: http://www.firedaemon.com/

Jan M.

Comment

Oh Oh Oh!!!
                    Now there is an idea!

Comment

Dyre, to answer one of your questions:

Since you are running Windows 95, you can put the coomand line version in your startup folder and when the computer starts up, it will run the seti progrma everytime. As far as hiding it, not sure about that one.

Dave
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Hey Dyre, I found this cool ass program that is exactly what you are looking for and more. Check it out.

http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~ngkf/trayer/intro.htm

Dave
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Dyre

>>>Oh Oh Oh!!!
                          Now there is an idea! <<<<

Uh-oh!

We're in trouble.....

Comment

Check this out, especially Dyre.
                            http://anandforums.gisystech.com/mes...hreadid=166626

The part I'm referring to starts 6 or so messages down.
                            I'm not sure how strict the SETI program is about getting actual permission before running the client on machines that you don't own, but sounds like you might need to check it out.

Hec

Comment

Working...
                            X