Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of performance can I expect from a 3-way Xeon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of performance can I expect from a 3-way Xeon?

I will finally get access to a 6-way Xeon under development at work. Everything works on it, so I have proposed my SETI "stress test" and they have agreed to weekend and night stress testing!

What kind of performance can I expect from three 550MHz, 512KB cache Xeon's?

Currently, on my dual Celery 366->>528MHz I just run six CL instances and let NT arbitrate. Should I do this on a Xeon, or should I just run three CL instances, with an affinity to only one CPU each?

Thanks, and hopefully I will be able to stay ahead of Xeno the Great!
    Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

run three CL, performance is the same as a p3 550, if you get xeons with more cache then you will see some speed diference, aprox 4-5 hours.
    Stefan

Comment

Thanks jsb,

Too bad I won't have access to the 2MB cache CPU's. Those are for development only, and have to go back.

So let's see, if I can get the best case of 4 hours, then I can do about 18 WU's a day on that machine. Add my ~15 units from my other machines, and I get over 30 a day! Woohoo. I may crack the top ten for awhile after all.

I will also be loading a dual PPro with 1MB cache 200's up some time this week. I will run two CL instances on that.
      Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

Sorry jeepman if i was a bit unclear, with 550 and 512 cache I don’t think you will manage to do times better than around 7.30. I managed to do some around 6-7 when I overclocked my 500 to 560. average with my 500Mhz is 7.50 the latest 500 Wus.

Stefan

Comment

Jeepman

I don't want to break your heart but while you where contemplating your future I moved ahead. I think your gonna need more than those Xeon's if you want to stay ahead of me. Chear up though, you're gainning on Guyver.

Taking about speed kings what about <font color=red>Team scarfy #28</font>, what's his trick?? There's no way he's straight!!

Comment

Never mind Scarfy, check out Cassiopeia Seti Group and workers@pse, both are running 8000+ WU with only 5 members!

------------------
            P3 500, 224 MB ram, G400 16SH, SB Live Value
            Maxtor DM 40+ 30GB, IBM Deskstar 16GP 10GB, Maxtor 4320 13 GB
            6h40min avg on the last 10+ SETI WUs
            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Scarfy has 104257 WU with 2 members? Ummmm.. how?

------------------
              Cheers,
              Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Working...
              X