Multiple Processor Setup Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Processor Setup Questions

I'll be bringing my NT machine on-line this weekend if everything goes well. It's got dual P-150's in it (and 256 MB RAM if I can find all my spare parts). Because of it's speed (or lack there of) I was thinking that NT4 would be better than Windows 2000 Pro. Has anyone noticed a difference in performance between NT4 Workstation, Server and Terminal Server? I'm leaning towards putting plain old server on it, though TS would be kind of cool to have running.

Second, what's the best way to set up SETI on it? I've got a couple of my other machines set up with the command line version and a nice healthy cache of work units (I went with 15 SETI directories each). I think I read somewhere that you should just start up an instance of SETI for each processor. I also noticed that SETI has the command line option -cpu N where N is the CPU number. Which method is better/more effecient? I would think that manually assiging one to each CPU would prevent NT from doing something dumb and dumping both on one processor so it could do something else on the other.

The only other usage of this server is going to be (possibly) to take over the ICS duties from my laptop and to backup a few extra-important files like my MS Money Data file. Anyone want to take a guess as to how long it'll take this thing to crunch a WU?

------------------
    A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

A few computers, some with Matrox stuff...I'll add details later.

Well, I haven't used it, but -cpu N seems to work, if you not afterwards plays the affinity...
    I don't remember if this works in NT4, but atleast in win2k programs started from a bat/cmd-file inherits the affinity-settings from the bat-file. I have killed off NT4 so I can't test it...

As for speed, I run slowly with 7h/unit if only executing one unit at a time, and 9h/unit if running two instances of setiathome. This on dual-p3-600 and win2kpro.

Comment

Hi Charles,

just setup two SETI dirs as I suggested in the other thread and run two batches that can be linked to your autostar folder.

Both instances will take as much of your CPUs as available, i.e. if you don't run anything else, every instance will take one CPU.

I do it like that 24/7 on my Dual P3 working rig ...

Cheers,
      Maggi
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
      X