This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seti@home & murc, part 7

For once, let's not crash the old thread before firing up a new one, all right?

To kick off: here's a little gem I found in my mailbox:

From: david nadelson <email address snipped to protect the guilty>
    Subject: Seti@Home teams

Noticed your Seti group for Matrox users. I'm part of another group, "Knights
    Who Say Ni!," that's much more fun, with a theme that's more interesting than
    a corporate advertisement. Consider merging your group with ours - we are
    16th overall (over 290,000) and have the highest work unit per day average of
    anybody (over 2500 and growing every day). Check out these sites, and think
    about presenting this offer to your team members!

Our group's home page: www.knsw.net/seti
    Our status page: http://www2.4dcomm.com/lizard/seti/stats

david
    "KWSN - Sir Also Not Appearing In This Film"
    I told him I'd post his message to the forums, so there.
    For the record, here's what I replied:

David,

> Noticed your Seti group for Matrox users.

Sorry, it's not my group. SteveC is the founder of the Matrox Users group.

> I'm part of another group, "Knights Who Say Ni!," that's much more fun,

I somehow doubt that, but I'm sure you've done some thorough investigation
    to arrive to that conclusion.

> with a theme that's more interesting than a corporate advertisement.

Eeew, my gawd! Even more interesting? Well, I guess if you say so...
    It's more like a loosely coupled bunch of nerds than a corporate adver-
    tisement though, but perhaps the distinction is irrelevant for someone
    from such a fun group.

> Consider merging your group with ours - we are
    > 16th overall (over 290,000) and have the highest work unit per day average of
    > anybody (over 2500 and growing every day).

Let me state at this point that I admire the way KWSN has been slicing
    through the ranks lately. And in fact, it *does* seem like a fun group.
    Let's just say I don't like the style of this particular e-mail.

It's great that you're enthousiatic about your group. However, twisting
    that into petty insults towards other groups scores amazingly high on
    my annoy-o-meter.

> Check out these sites,

I did. There's a typo.

> and think about presenting this offer to your team members!

I'll post this one to the message boards, and let them decide for
    themselves. Okay?

> Our group's home page: www.knsw.net/seti
    > Our status page: http://www2.4dcomm.com/lizard/seti/stats

Regards,
    Martin
    Anyone else got this?

Martin

[This message has been edited by Ees (edited 18 April 2000).]

LOL, why not ask them to merge into our group, Steve? Tell them we might not get the average highest WU a day, but some of us are way way faster than they are

Martin, laat je niet gek maken, he? Hoofd koel houden!

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Dear Sir Anal,
      I'm sorry, but you are sadly mistaken at what the purpose of seti is and what the MURC is all about. I for one happily decline.

If anyone wants to contact this team leader, here ya go: SirAnole@knsw.net
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

if i were to put my 2 cents worth in i'd have to say 'find yourself another patsy & i mean that in the nicest possible way'. it looks to me that mr nadelson thinly disguised offer of lets join hands & sing 'we are the world' as a grubby attempt to use our stats to improve their standing with little consideration of our own 'fun' quota. murc has a specific purpose to which i'm proud to be a member. a purpose which i'm sure is lost on you. if you didn't know seti has a purpose too, again to which i'm proud to do my bit. i'm sorry, but i think this person needs to learn a little respect for our endeavours and is not to be cheapened by some half-arsed propaganda exercise. i apologise fellow mucrers i think i need to go wipe the froth from my chin now.

------------------
        Asus P3V4X bios 1.03, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @733, 160M pc100 sdram, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
        Win98SE 4.10.2222A, DX7a.
        Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,

Comment

ees,
          Are you trying to stop me from joining a "fun group!" their web site is www.kwsn.net/seti/ did they send the wrong url or was it your deliberate mistake.

breezer (whose units are staying at murc)
          Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Looking like that, who in his/her right mind would ever consider joining these 'fun-knights' ??

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Ni!

Comment

Breezer,

My quote was cut-n-pasted, so the error was his. That's the typo I referred to in my mail, and that's why Greebe is Knights Who Say NI compatible

Of course, UBB's automagical hyperlinkification was a bit unfortunate in this case...

Jorden: it's a reference to (and picture of) a scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. See this transcript for example. I like it, actually...

Martin

Comment

No need for that; "Sir Anole" was CC-d in the message "David" sent to me, so I happily sent him my reply as well

Martin

BTW: your typos are KWSN-compatible...

Comment

To wrap this up:

I received some very courteous responses from both David and Sir Anole, apologizing for the annoyance they caused us. I'd also pointed them to this thread, which was a bit of a shocker to David (could cancer's post have something to do with that ?).

Of course, I accepted their apologies, and wished them the best of luck.

Ni!
                    Martin

Comment

I temporarily have 35 machines crunching units for the cause and am trying to hit 100 units in a day.
                      With a bit of luck we may overtake FurSeti in a few days, before scarfy gets us (doh!).

breezer
                      Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

i hope i didn't overstep the bounds of good taste/etiquette/social graces with my original message. sorry guys I didn’t mean to pop a blood vessel on this one its just that my loyalties are with murc not some bunch of rampaging primate bafoons. bugger there i go again…
                        cheers.

------------------
                        Asus P3V4X bios 1.03, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @733, 160M pc100 sdram, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
                        Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,

Comment

It could have been my reposting of their pic and Brian's answer
                          When I chose to go out
                          I always leave the light on
                          when I have to stay in,
                          you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
                          now that I'm living on my own,
                          and while they've never been more right,
                          can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

<FONT SIZE=1>... and now for something completely different ...<FONT SIZE=5>

Ni !

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                            LG BH10LS38
                            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

side tracking for a bit on the original topic, my average wu time is a approx 16hrs! you can see my specs in my signature, this doesn't seem right, is there any way to improve this?
                              cheers.

------------------
                              Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.03, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @733, 160M pc100 sdram, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,

Comment

Working...
                              X