Windows Faults and Options to Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Faults and Options to Repair

What a crash of Windows on Holly's PC can't do to give me an option to write something here in the FAQs
    (Btw, thanks Microsoft for Windows Media Player 7, as it did crash her PC in such a way that we can't start it anymore, not even in Safe Mode, which says alot !! )
    <hr>
    One very usefull option is to restore the Windows registry from DOS. How to do this?

Start your PC, and press CTRL (or F8 repeatedly if the CTRL trick doesn't work), until you see a Windows Startup menu. Choose DOS command line in safe mode.
    Upon reaching the command-line, type scanreg /? and press enter.

Scanreg will give you a couple of options. (Backup, Restore, Fix and Comment)
    You might want to backup your already damaged registry, but try the fix first: scanreg /fix [enter] ... The scanreg program will now try to fix your registry. Do know that it can only fix non-real-time apps, so any damaged links to .vxd files and the lot won't be fixed!!

Reboot Windows... still no luck? Then go back to the command prompt in DOS and type scanreg /restore. Now you might be in for a surprise, your last registry might be of a real old date !! (ours was of 13/7/00, so what's with Windows making a backup of your registry when it boots everytime??)

If your Windows then won't boot, try an older version of the registry. Tried all in the list and no go? Oh...kay, then you're in the same situation as we were

Reinstall Windows then. Either on top of the previous one (with the register errors and all, maybe it will be repaired), or otherwise do it as described in the link above.

And any next time you install anything on your system, make a backup of about everything, will ya? (Yeah right )

Jord.
    Last edited by Jorden; 6 July 2001, 12:12.
    Jordâ„¢

Our fellow moderator Greebe has sent me this page on Microsoft's pages, about the Windows Registry

Use it as you can, guys&gals

Thanks Mike.

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks to Technoid for the link to this wealth of Windows stuff, for Win95/98/ME/2k and XP !!

Go follow http://members.aol.com/axcel216/ !!

Bookmark and never forget about it!

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

Before people start tearing eachother's hairs out for the credits of the above URL, here's a little snippet of what good chum xortam had to say about it.

"Not meaning to take away from Technoid's day in the Sun but ... I already had the Max Speed bookmark. Probably added it after Brian the Terrible (DV) posted it last winter or more likely when Rik posted it in January. Guess I should spend some time and see what this site has to offer."

Happy tearing, guys

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
        X