Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promise Ultra 66 setup?

Hi there!

I'm in the process of upgrading my video capture drive (for my trusty Marvel G200).

I just purchased an Promise Ultra 66 controller, and I'm looking for opinions on the setup of the whole mess. I have a Mitsumi CD-Burner, a Creative DXR-2 DVD Rom, a WD 6.3 gig system drive, and very, very soon a Maxtor 40 gig 7200 spin ultra66 drive (very pleased about this. )

Anyway, at some point, I may do the cool trick about changing the Promise controller into a Fasttrack, but right now, it's not a big deal, as I don't have 2 identical ultra66 drives. So, how do you think I should set up the drives on the IDE chains?

Right now I just have everything hooked up to the motherboard IDE controller. Should I hook everything up through the new controller, or should I leave certain things hooked up to the motherboard IDE controller, and what? The only Ultra66 device I have right now (or very soon, anyway...) is the Maxtor drive.

Thanks for any help.
    Matt

I use Ultra 66 and have all hard disk drives on it and anything related to cd's (reader, writer) on this IDE connectors on MB. This combo works best and may be the only bootable setup once you install the Promise because your bios will likely look for the boot drive on the Promise. Anyway, don't hook any CD drives to the Promise. Don't feel the IDE connectors on MB are wasted not having HDD on them. The Promise is far better place to have the HDD's.

Comment

Working...
    X