RR-G question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR-G question

I'm starting to plan my next system, and have a question about the RR-G. Does it have a break-out box like the Marvel's? And what are the specs for the inputs and outputs?

My reason for asking is I'm thinking a G400Max with RR-G may be better than a G400 Marvel, since I would like the dual-head to a second monitor, not TV.

Thanks,
    John

No BOB, RCA Composite Video In, S-Video In, Coax In, 1/8th inch stereo In, 1/8th inch stereo out.

That's my RR-G (It is a US version if that effects the I/O configuration at all)

I much prefer my Max/RRG combo to the Marvel G400 that I had... I don't like dealing with the BOB and I use the faster DAC for my desktop...

Just my two cents, I'm sure other people favor the Marvel for one reason or another. It's ultimately just your own choice!

Garrett
    RBryant

Tyan 1952DLU Thunder X
    2 PIII Xeon 500Mhz (512k)
    1 512MB ECC PC100 DIMM
    Adaptec AAA-133U2
    3 18 GB U2W Cheetahs
    Jaz 1GB
    UltraPlex40Xmax CDROM
    PlexWriter 8/20 CD-R
    Pioneer 6X DVDROM
    G400 Max
    Rainbow Runner-G
    Obisidan X-24
    ViewSonic P815
    SBLive!
    Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
    3COM 3C905B-TX
    Addtronics 7896 w/12 Fans
    Mitsumi Wireless RF Kbd
    Logitec Opt. Wheel Mouse
    1.5M/256k ADSL
    Trusty Ol' Floppy

Comment

Yeah, I prefer the Marvel because the tuner is outside the PC which generates a lot of electromagnetic noise. TV tuners are very sensitive to this noise. Better picture quality with the Marvel because of this.
      Michka
      I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
      If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

I too use the G400DH/RR-G combo and I was wondering if the RR-G being inside the computer was the cause of any signal degradation. It's not terribly worse than with my old Marvel G200 (I mean, if I really want to watch TV, I'll go into the living room).

I'll say this much, I very much like dealing directly with the sound card than through the BOB sound inputs...

Comment

Yeah, if I've got a channel with a lot of noise coming in through the TV Tuner, I just change the VCR to that channel and record through the Video-In instead...

Garrett

Also, I was glad that I bought an RR-G because when I bought it, all I had was a G200, then a year later I was able to buy a G400Max and use it with the same RR-G...
          RBryant

Tyan 1952DLU Thunder X
          2 PIII Xeon 500Mhz (512k)
          1 512MB ECC PC100 DIMM
          Adaptec AAA-133U2
          3 18 GB U2W Cheetahs
          Jaz 1GB
          UltraPlex40Xmax CDROM
          PlexWriter 8/20 CD-R
          Pioneer 6X DVDROM
          G400 Max
          Rainbow Runner-G
          Obisidan X-24
          ViewSonic P815
          SBLive!
          Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
          3COM 3C905B-TX
          Addtronics 7896 w/12 Fans
          Mitsumi Wireless RF Kbd
          Logitec Opt. Wheel Mouse
          1.5M/256k ADSL
          Trusty Ol' Floppy

Comment

I have two identical monitors on my desktop. One attached to a Marvel G200 and the other to A G400 Max/RR-G. There is a slight difference in TV cable reception, the Marvel being a bit clearer. But I'm with Aryko, if I want to really watch TV I'll do it on a 32" screen not a small window on a 17" screen. The couch is more comfortable than my computer chair.

Laurie
            Laurie
            ======

Comment

Do you think a bit of custom (tin or aluminuim) shielding on the RR will improve things much?.

Due to get my RR next week!

Comment

I do agree that watching TV on a big screen, comfortably installed, is more enjoyable. But I am very often recording from TV. In addition, the quality difference between having the tuner inside or outside the PC is not that much, except (at least on my PC) for 2 or 3 channels for which the quality is really very bad if the tuner is inside. And guess what: of course these are just the channels I want to record. Now, this is only of concern if you are going to record from TV.
                Michka
                I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
                If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

The idea of shielding on the RR-G is a good one, IMO. Anyone got any good ideas on how to start this? I'm thinking of savaging one of the static-resistant metallic bags an OEM card comes in and wrapping it around the RR-G. I wonder if it would do any good.

Some thoughts on good radio-insulating materials?

- Aryko

Comment

Aryko,

Doesn't sound like a good idea.

What are you going to do to keep the card cooled ?

Comment

anything metal wrapped around it would dramatically reduce the noise (aluminum foil, for example). However, I have to agree it doesn't sound like a good idea! the risk of a short alone would be pretty scary, and there would be no airflow to keep it cool, either.

Comment

IM_Riktar the maven chip is on the G400 not the RRG. The G400 and the marvel use the same TVo chip.
                        I use the G400/RRG. This let me separate the cost into two smaller purchases. I also have some interference on a couple of channels, but only the one I usually watch is bad.
                        Mine: Epox EP-8KTA3, Matrox G400 32mb DH + RRG, Athlon 1.2/266, 256mb, WD 30gb ATA100, Pio 32x CDROM, Adaptec 2940U2W, WD 18.3GB 10k U2W, Yamaha CDRW4416, Pio DVD-303, Scsi Zip 100, Seagate 10/20 Gb tape, SBlive platinum, Linksys 10/100 nic, HP 712c printer, HP 6200 scanner, Linksys 4port cable router, Linksys 2port print server/switch
                        Hers: Epox EP-3VSA, G400 32mb SH, PIII 750, 256mb, WD 10gb, Pio 6x DVD, Zip 250, Diamond S90, Linksys 10/100 nic

Comment

I have used the original RR-S on a Mystique 220, which was later upgraded to a G200 Marvel which was recently sold to purchase a G400 Marvel.

I did consider buying a G400 and a seperate RR-G to ensure a less expensive upgrade path for future video cards. After reading Chris's review of the G400 Marvel I decided to stay with the Marvel series since the TV-O was better with the Marvel due to the Maven chip.

The difference in quality of output with the Marvels is quite noticeable. All the noise (Not that there was much, mind you) with the G200 was COMPLETELY gone with the G400! I used to wonder if shielding the cables or better cables would have helped with my noise problems on the G200 Marvel. With the G400 Marvel I don't give it a 2nd thought. We are talking one outstanding job Matrox did on output to tape.

In terms of speed,,,,,,, the Marvel G400 is quite the speedy card to begin with. Not the fastest on the block mind you, but it comes much closer to the competition than the G200 did in its day.

Since my primary use of this setup is for NLE (Duh!) I figured I would go with the better quality out to tape. Now if Matrox starts putting the Maven chip on their RR-G cards that would be a whole different consideration.
                          Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Hrm, all this interferance stuff is concerning to me, since I plan to use the new system as my TV as well. Could anyone post what US channels the interferance occurs on?

Since I really would like a multi-monitor system, which would make more sense, the G400 w/ RR-G, or a G400 Marvel and then a secondary display adapter (like Millenium G200 PCI)? I would like the ability to display the video in on either monitor, so I think the Marvel with Millenium won't let me do that... but can anyone say for sure?

Comment

I'm going to suggest (in regards to radio de-interference) that so long as the card is not completely smothered with aluminium, there wouldn't be a problem with heat. Besides, alumninium doesn't really hold heat that well.

I'll try it later this weekend, and report back. My guess is, however, that there will be plenty of exposed parts that interference may still be a problem...

- Aryko

Comment

Working...
                              X