Buying a new car; any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a new car; any suggestions?

I'm grabbing some new wheels in the near (possibly VERY near) future, and am eyeing a 2001 VW Jetta (since I can't realistically afford the new Passat ). Anyone care to comment on the new Jetta (good or bad), or suggest decent alternatives in the $30,000CDN range?

Bart
    Bart

Hmmm, let's see. The new Jetta is quite nice, I test-drove one last year and it's really comfortable and smooth. The VR6 engine is very sweet, with lots of torque while still being quiet and smooth. If your price range is up to $30,000, have you considered the Passat GLS 1.8T? It's base MSRP is $29,550. Cutting it close, I know, but it's still a very nice car. Given the choice though, I'd go for the Jetta GLS 2.8L VR6 (5-speed manual) for $26,430.

Also in that range, I'd recommend the following, in no particular order.

Mazda 626 LX-V6 $25,885
    Nissan Maxima GXE $29,000
    Honda Accord LX-V6 $26,800

If you're willing to stretch it a bit, I'd go for a BMW 320i, which starts at $33,900. It's a damn fine car. 2.0L straight six. Superb handling. Chicks dig it too .

Anyway, your first task is to go drive them all. Make sure they fit properly. Comfort in a car is almost as important as their perfomance and looks (I said almost ).

Final rule - don't even think about anything by Pontiac. That's one to live by

------------------
    Andrew
    Carpe Cerevisi
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Final rule - don't even think about anything by Pontiac. That's one to live by.</font>
      I have owned several Pontiacs and never had a bit of trouble with them. Then again, I take care of my cars.

Rags

Comment

Ok, pontiac has made some decent cars in their history, but lately, they mostly suck. Just look at the Aztek. Gag

------------------
        Andrew
        Carpe Cerevisi
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Let's see:

The Grand Am was a pretty decent car, the Grand Prix is pretty good, and the Bonneville has always been a nice car. I have owned each and they all have been nice cars. The 3.8 is a tried and true motor that is very dependable, the 4T60E transmission holds up very well, the styling of the three cars are not too outrageous. My only beef with them are the cheap plastic interiors. Other than that, they are fine vehicles if they are taken care of.

Rags

I agree on the Aztek. It's ugly and undesirable. But I do admire a company that is willing to make something that truely is different from the pack. Pontiac has always done so. The Star Chief, the original Bonnie, the TA, and the Fiero were all cars that were separated from the pack not only in looks but sometimes in function.

The Aztek has to go, though

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 14 May 2001).]

Comment

I think it's the cheap plastic interiors that's turned me off of Pontiacs. Lately, they're going for cheap plastic exteriors too, with all the useless glued on cladding and fins and wings, etc. It's just not classy. It seems to me that even the cheapest of Japanese cars use a higher grade of plastics than many expensive american cars.

Also, it kills me that one of the only attractive american car lines (oldsmobile) is now being killed off. I just don't get it.

------------------
            Andrew
            Carpe Cerevisi

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 14 May 2001).]

Comment

WRX!
              AWD, Turbo-

Comment

Don´t buy American, buy German!

Always good quality. (exept opel)

Comment

Buy British!

(Oh no, that's to do with beef isn't it...)

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Three words:

Certified
                    Pre-Owned
                    BMW

Ok, that was 3.5 words. And you don't need to get certified pre-owned. But just go test drive a mid-90's BMW 325 and then tell me you'd be happy with a little plastic POS or a VW.

While VW's are nice, they STILL corner on 3 wheels, even after all these years. And you will NEVER EVER EVER EVER get me into a front-drive car.

- Gurm

------------------
                    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by Gurm (edited 14 May 2001).]
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

Why NO FWD car?
                      Anything other than the strange handling?
                      Chuck

PS Both of ours are RWD
                      PPS Rock, Find a nice used 94-96 Lexus GS300.
                      It should be right in your price range.
                      At least drive one, and a BMW too. You will see what GURM is talking about.
                      Let some other poor sucker pay the first 2 years depreciation.

Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hey, what do you guys think about the new Nissan Maxima SE?
                        I'm thinking about getting one.

Yes, its FWD, but I want that because I get a _lot_ of snow in the winter.

Comment

If you can afford it, the Volvo S60 is one magnificent car. It is FWD, but every test I have read states that the car is very fun to drive.

Get the T5 (expensive but fast)

Comment

Maybe I am so used to FWD that I don't find them to handle strange at all. Are you referring to the torque-steer from the unequal length driveshafts when your accelerating hard from a stop?

Some folks with FWD and AWD sure can get themselves into trouble in winter time. They sure do accelerate better than they can stop in snow and ice.
                            MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                            Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                            512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                            Matrox P
                            X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                            LianLiPC70

Comment

Didn´t see your money roof.

Comment

Working...
                              X