Well and truly fed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well and truly fed up

I have yet another (my 9th in 3 weeks!) exam tomorrow (Digital Systems Design), yet I can't be arsed to revise or even think about trying to do anything for it in the way of preparation. Infact, I don't care if I fail. After all, I reckon I've failed the rest. I'm bored of university, I'm bored of exams, I'm bored of work, I'm bored of travelling to uni - all I want is the summer to be here so I can lay in the sun and do nothing. I can't be bothered to do anything at all.

Stupid thing is, I know that if I do screw up these exams, I'll be resitting this year (with no financial support), or I'll be kicked out of uni. But still I don't seem to care.

I've felt like this for a couple of months now.

Wish I knew why.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

You need to see a medic. You are showing classic symptoms of depression. Seriously.
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

It's my university - a couple of my friends are the same. Our attitude is basically: The university don't seem to care, so why should we?

When you get lecturers telling you that the exam's going to be impossible, and the course is going to be the hardest one you've ever done, it just puts you in a bad frame of mind! Then they mess up your course by teaching you the wrong things blah blah I could go on. "But we've sorted the course out for next year" - like that's going to help us!!

It's only really the uni we're fed up about... I'll happily go to work (where I get paid and so know it's worth going to). Hell, I even enjoy it there sometimes! Plus seeing my g/f at the weekends makes my happy - although I haven't seen her in a fortnight, so that doesn't help ...

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 05 June 2001).]

Comment

Take it from someone who has been to several universities for several degree programs.
        Imagine you are digging a ditch:
        1, You are digging.
        2, You are using the shovel.
        3, Your goal is the ditch.

The shovel does not care about you or the ditch. The shovel has no particular feelings about the rocks and roots you run across. That is not nessesarily bad, it's just the way most tools feel about things.

Lift your eyes up from the shovel and keep them on the ditch.

It couldn't hurt to take DentyCrackers advice either. Take your help where you can get it. Why not?
        Chuck

Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It's my university - a couple of my friends are the same. Our attitude is basically: The university don't seem to care, so why should we?</font>
          Because its YOUR money man, and quite a lot of it. Don't waste the cash like that. Pull up your socks and work; you'll be better off for it in the end.

Bart
          Bart

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SteveC:
            ....But still I don't seem to care.....
            Wish I knew why....

</font>
            cjolley uses a great analogy. When you get out into the real world of jobs and your boss says to "do this," he does not care that you run into rocks and roots either.

Have you been doing anything other than preparing for your exams? Sometimes even a small 1/2 hour vacation from your tasks can help. Go watch ducks in a pond or kids playing at a park. Anything that floats your boat. Then go back to task.

Think of all the effort you have expended up to this point. Is it worth it to throw it all away?
            MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
            Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
            512MB regular Crucial PC2100
            Matrox P
            X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
            LianLiPC70

Comment

Excess of work is a real problem... some people can deal with it and some don´t.

Just be cool, try to keep your mind off all the work in your breaks and be sure to sleep the necessary hours when the going gets tough (when you have a lot of work in the daytime). Try to have fun in your leisure hours.

Don´t waste all your previous work when you´re so close to finish...

Comment

Thanks for the support guys!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Alec:
                Don´t waste all your previous work when you´re so close to finish...</font>
                I've got another year yet! I've only been going 2 years... I know, I'm just being pathetic and whining. (I'd love some cheese to go with the whines though!)

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

Yes!! I've just given myself a big confidence boost!

I had a question in one of my exams (Data Networks or something) and I didn't have the faintest clue what it was on about. It bsaically asked 'What is ranging on a cable network (HFC)? and what problems can it cause?' And I sat there staring at the big (40%) bit thinking that I'm screwed if I don't answer it. I took a real wild guess (I've never heard of the word before when talking about Cable TV networks) at something to do with users closer to the headend having a shorter distance for the data to travel than people at the edges of the network, and I just found out that I'm pretty much spot on! ( http://www.iec.org/tutorials/cable_mod/topic04.html )

Me happy!! (Still, that's only 40% of 1 question out of 3, out of 10 exams...)

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

Comment

Oh Man! I hear you Steve! Was just there, as a matter of fact. Fortunately, I just graduated before I lost my mind. All I can say is that you have to force yourself to keep hammering. I was soooo sick of classes and crummy instructors (not all of them, thank God) I just didn't care anymore. Don't know where I found the strength, but I kept focusing on my goal when all looked like shit. Summer's amost here, hang in there...

Comment

I have been kinda in your position. But for slightly different reasons.

My first semester of Computer Engineering I had a 95% average... my second fell to 76% (Because I got a girlfriend)... my third fell to 67% because she was having major problems with her course (At the same school.. involving a screwed up courseload and a situations where charges were laid concering harassment and malpractice charges.. I spent more time at meetings and consoling Nikki than I did at class... And my last semester I failed an English and a Math (While Getting C's in the rest of the subjects) Due to financial and family problems that took all my attention away from school

My teachers all thought I had real potential and they all felt that given better circumstances I would have been in the top 5% of the class... but since it didn't turn out that way I am left trying to patch it up and to recieve at least the diploma because without it I have to depend on reputation which doesn't extend too far outside of the town I am in right now. (And the people in my class from school... where ever they ended up)

Bad Things I got from school.
                      A large Debt...
                      A feeling that I took the wrong course...
                      A better understanding of School Politics...

Good Things I got from school.
                      Some good books...
                      Lots of friends...
                      Good study habits...
                      A Linux Penguin Sticker...
                      And A Wife (As of the end of this month)
                      Realization that I have lots of potential...

Speaking of education...

I want to get into the field of hardware design... any ideas where to start?

[This message has been edited by cbman (edited 06 June 2001).]
                      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

It's easy to get burned out at college, Steve. I think that ideally people should take a year off between years (if only we lived longer and had more cash), because you need the will to really learn, and to get the will you need to recharge your curiosity. Scomp is right.. take some time out, purge the stress, and enjoy yourself for part of the day.

cbman, just a thought.. I think getting the wife might have been better than getting a cum laude. You'll never really be sorry you chose to invest your time in her instead. Best of luck. I have heard AMD has a great working environment compared to most places, and Haig could tell you about what working at Matrox is like.

------------------
                        Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Hey cbman, what type of hardware deisgn are you interested in?

Comment

Integrated Circuitry
                            DSP

Something along those lines.

I am limited in the choices that I can pick from as I cannot afford another all out trip to College Or University, and I am stuck in a faily dead end factory job.

Kv.. I agree with you man. She is definately worth not getting my Cum Laude for. (I know it sounds sick... )

Although she has a memory like an elephant and a quicksilver temper... it keeps you on edge

Anyone wanna hire me.. I am smart and good looking, a quick study, and I kiss a$$ like nobodys business. Oh and since I have no "qualifications" you can get away with paying me very little in comparison to those BA/BS/PHD/Masters types

In other words

"Will work for food"

AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                            AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                            Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                            Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I understand exactly how Steve feels. My finals start next week, and I've barely started studying. There is just too much work and I can't handle it. But this thread has helped boost my confidence as well. I love the MURC!

Comment

Working...
                              X