Jenna and Barbara Bush Are Getting Screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenna and Barbara Bush Are Getting Screwed

I have no love for their dad, but it seems to me they're getting busted a lot lately. I have to say, I had the more than occasional drink or seven (on good days!) when I was in college. If I got busted every time I went out and got a drink, I'd be on a first name basis with every freakin' cop and judge in New York State.

I suspect the Bush twins are a lot better behaved than I was. Apparently, a restaurant manager called the cops and ratted them out.

Paul
    paulcs@speakeasy.net

That's the problem with having the drinking age at 21.

At 19, you are at the age of consent in all states, at 17 you can go to war, at 18 you can vote, at 15 you can drive (hardship).

Seems rather silly.

Rags

Comment

In more ways than one

Joel

But it was her grand dad's friend, ole Ronnie boy, who forced the states into raising the legal drinking age by threaten to without federal highway funds if they did not. And that I would call extortion.

Extort : To obtain from another by coercion or intimidation. (the goverment's threat to withhold highway funding if they did not raise the legal drinking age to 21)

Extortion : The illegal use of one's official position or powers (the federal government) to obtain property, funds, or patronage (the states raising the legal drinking age to 21)

And the last time I remember extortion was a crime. Am I wrong??
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Here's a good comprise... lower the drinking age to 15, and raise the driving age to 21!

Comment

I think young people get a real raw deal. They're such a convenient target. Lowering the drinking age didn't effect me in the least, but I was really unhappy with it. I still find the you can go to war and vote at 18 but you can't buy a drink argument compelling.

I suspect the Bush daughters are being selectively targeted. It's bad enough that they're chaperoned everywhere they go. That's gotta suck. (Unless, of course, they can talk the Secret Service agents into buying them booze. )

Paul
          paulcs@speakeasy.net

Comment

In Finland we start drinking at the age 12 to 13! That explains our red noses etc.!

Legal drinking/smoking/driving age 18!
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

How anal are people in Texas anyway? The silly bar called 911 as if someone was being murdered.

Comment

I'm a second generation Italian-American (three of my grandparents were born in the old country). I was pretty young when I had my first glass of wine -- diluted with 7-Up and probably repulsively sweet.

On my eighteenth birthday, my father sat me down to teach me the finer points of doing shots. He was a little late, and I think he knew it, but I really appreciated the gesture.

Paul
                paulcs@speakeasy.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 01 June 2001).]

Comment

It was probably a Gore supporter that phoned.

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                  Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                  512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                  Matrox P
                  X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                  LianLiPC70

Comment

being a child of the US president must really suck! Especially when people use you for their political ideas (well.... do you think that the person who turned them in would normally call the cops for underaged drinking)?

Another point:
                    If the restaurant manager called the cops for underaged drinking, why did he allow them to get the drinks in the first place???? (or was it a different restaurant)? If they were given those drinks with full intent of what happened, then it's _really_ sick.

Comment

The downsides of being famous... well, they just have bad luck having a famous father who apparently isn't loved by all people... I don't like their dad, but I feel sorry for them... I really find it stupid to allow you voting who makes laws, to give you a gun or a fast car than to give you drugs that you can mostly only damage yourself with. BTW, in Germany, legal age for smoking or drinking beer is 16, legal age for driving, drinking harder alcohol or going to the army is 18.

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Both of the girls are assigned Secret Service agents. Do they just sit by and watch all of this stuff go down? I know that they aren't baby sitters, but I am curious how that whole thing works. If I were George I would have the Secret Service agents fill me in on the girls activities. In fact, I may just hire some Agents when my daughter turns 14.

The guy that called the cops wasn't a Texan, he was a Democrat. That's why he used 911 instead of keeping it on the down-low. he wanted there to be as much publicity as possible.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Apparently, a restaurant manager called the cops and ratted them out.</font>
                          If they were breaking the law then the manager had an obligation to call the police. It's not his fault that they are the president's daughters and can't behave themselves.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I suspect the Bush daughters are being selectively targeted.</font>
                          That may be true but it still does not discount the fact that trying to buy alcohol by a 19 year old using someone else's ID is against the law.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It was probably a Gore supporter that phoned.

Especially when people use you for their political ideas (well.... do you think that the person who turned them in would normally call the cops for underage drinking)?

The guy that called the cops wasn't a Texan, he was a Democrat. That's why he used 911 instead of keeping it on the down-low. he wanted there to be as much publicity as possible.</font>
                          Typical republican responses. Could it not be just a simple matter that they did something wrong, got caught (probably didn't think they would since they were the president's daughters), and because they are the president's daughter it is going to be highly publicized.

Joel

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Before we cannonize these poor poor girls for being so mistreated by the system, let's take a look at some things...

1) Your father is the most powerful man in the world

2) One of you was busted just LAST WEEK for underage drinking

3) You're trailed by the most powerful cops in the world all the time

How frickin' stupid do you have to be to use a fake ID to buy booze at some roadside dive?!?

Regardless of the law and it's fairness (sheesh, another discussion about that...), they BROKE THE LAW.

Did I use a fake ID in HS/College? Yes.

Did I whine when I got caught? NO, because I knew the consequences when I broke the law.

Find me a _real_ victim and I'll evaluate their plight.

[edit] Just read a story, Jenna was caught using an ID and not served. Barbara and a friend were served. Jenna charged with using a fake ID, Barbara & her friend w/possesion by a minor.

And the old man (GWB) signed the zero-tolerance law in '97 that busted his daughters. How about that, conspiracy theorists...[/edit]

[This message has been edited by ahartman (edited 01 June 2001).]
                            PIII 550@605
                            IWill Motherboard VD133
                            VIA Chipset
                            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                            DirectX 8.0a
                            SB Live! Value
                            8x DVD (Toshiba)
                            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                            3Com CMX Cable Modem
                            Optiquest V95 19"
                            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                            Microtek flatbed scanner
                            Intellimouse Explorer
                            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Ho hum, I saw one of the daughters on TV, and her face only would make me run to a phone to call 911 already

Can't presidents make beautiful daughters? If they can, everyone around forget their mishaps

Jord.
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X