Whats the fastest you've driven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the fastest you've driven

The fastest I've driven is 120mph from Leicester forest to Sheffield. I was the slowest vehicle on the motorway and didn't overtake a thing.
    I was hoping to break this on the autobahn but my brother in law wouldn't let me drive his merc.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

250Kmh (~155Mph) in a BMW M5 and 270Kmh (~170Mph) in a Mercedes S55-AMG (just a very) short time to check if it was limited to 250...)
    But normally I settle at 160-200 Kmh - it's a good compromise between arriving fast and fuel consumption, besides you still maintain a bit of a chance chance to actually react if something non-foreseen happens.
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

180KM/H+ in my home town(and I mean in it) 50KM/H zone! And 200KM/H+ (meter scale stoped at 200 old Corolla) on a 120KM/H Zone (fasted allowed in Finland)
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

One of my earlier vehicles was a '68 Firebird with:

Fully reworked 400 big block
        Dual Holley quads
        Sidepipes
        NO2 system
        Slalom style suspension

While going to work one morning on Rte. 495, the tail piece from one of my sidepipes had fallen off un-beknownst(sp?) to me causing the hot exhaust to blow directly on my passenger rear tire.

The tire blew and almost came completely off the rim, the problem was that I was late that particular morning so I had the speedo pegged, it went to 160

It was almost the worst day of my life, however, while hitch-hiking, I was picked up by a very lovely young girl and ended up taking the day off

Damn, seeing this story in print, I should've written a book about it

My brother and myself took this same car to Montreal one weekend, leaving from Manchester, we arrived in Montreal in just over 3hrs including stopping at customs.

Ahh, the young and Stupid days
        System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Around 150Mph. I pegged the limiter, which I think is at 154 or some such. It was on... I'm ashamed to say it... a test drive. BMW 750iL.

Fastest I've driven for any length of time? Probably around 120Mph.

Fastest I drive on a regular basis? Between 85 and 95. Anything over that and the handling on my Bimmer starts to degrade.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

180 KM/H in a 80 KM/H zone, on my first motorcycle.
            If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

95mph in my 1.4 VW Polo

Edit: 95mph in a 60mph zone (150kph in 95kph zone). Anyone doing twice the speed limit in a built-up area should be shot, unless it's a very inappropriate restriction.

[This message has been edited by Pace (edited 29 May 2001).]
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

155mph on a friends built up and tweaked out Kawasaki KZ1100 for 9 miles... just don't lift your head or the wind will snatch your helmut in an attempt to rip it off! (it would go much faster at the track)

Fast enough that the dotted lines meld into one long yellow stripe

Then there's the '69 Mustang Fastback "Yellow Jacket" with a 427 big block... but a friend is no longer amoung us with that beast.

Can't believe I'm amoung you all today
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I've had both cars I've owned (1985 non-turbo Mitsubishi Cordia, and my current 1.6l 1997 Nissan Pulsar) out to about 160km/h. I was probably a bit stupid to have done it in the Cordia, because I did it at night. Took me about 5 kms to wind out to that speed too, which is surprising coz the Cordia didn't go half bad for a 10 year old small non-turbo 4cyl. When I did it in the Pulsar I got from 100km/h (the speed limit) to 160km/h, and back to 120 for a corner in about a 1km stretch of road.

But the fastest I've driven is when I tested out that automatic Ford Falcons are in fact limited to 180km/h. :P It was a hire car, too. :P And the exhaust lost a bolt and had an opening just under the front seats when I took it back to the hire company (though that was not related to hitting 180km/h). It sounded like a truck with the exhaust like it was. :P

The most ridiculous speed I've done in a car (although I wasn't driving) was when my brother-in-law and I got loan of a Mazda MX6 for half an hour and we thrashed it! =) While he was driving in a 40km/h local street, I took my eyes off the speedo as it passed 130km/h. We probably hit about 150km/h before he had to brake very hard for an upcoming T-intersection (we were running out of road very fast and I was getting quite nervous - I hate not being in control of a car)
                  <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

Pavement:
                    Had a buddie's V-Max up to 125mph.
                    Had my current car up to 115mph.

Dirt:
                    Old Yamaha 450 enduro up to 95.
                    85mph in my old Mustang.

Scariest:
                    Passenger in a 68 Old's Cutlass doing 120 down an Iowa farm road.
                    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

hehe... I feel sorry for anyone who can't convert mph to km/h :P
                      <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

I had a 1966 Jaguar XKE up to 165-167MPH (265.5-268.8KMH)coming down Nine-Mile Hill just west of Albuquerque with my Dad in the car. It got so light in the front-end that nothing happened when I moved the steering wheel so I backed down to 155 to regain control.

I loved that car. My Dad and I bought it real cheap from an Airman who was getting discharged and needed money badly. The car was not running and I had to re-wire the entire electrical system. The dry climate turned all the plastic insulation on the original wiring to dust.

We got it back in 1972, the days of the Mach-1's and big Dodge's. On weekend evenings I was constantly challenged at stop-lights. Nothing could touch that straight block 6-cylinder with the three SU carberators. One night I drag raced a Mach-1 and a Dodge Roadrunner. I missed first gear totally and put it in second and still beat both the other cars across the intersection and left them eating the smoke from my tires....LOL

We had that white convertable XKE for a year and a half. I was driving about 60MPH down a street when a guy pulled a U-Turn right in front of me. I T-boned him totaling the XKE. I had one hand on the wheel and the other on the gear shift knob when I hit him. I ripped off the steering wheel and snapped the gear shifter and both hands went through the dashboard. The seat belt snapped and so I knocked out the windshield with my forehead.....LOL I still probably have glass from the XKE in my head. I didn't even know I was hurt. I was leaning over what was left of the car when the blood started dripping on the hood. Damn I was pissed, two cops grabbed me just as I was about to beat the crap out of the ASS***** for pulling out in front of me.

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 30 May 2001).]
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

140mph at night on a long straight country road in a Chevy Chevelle SS. What made this run so interesting thought is that at 110mph all lights on the car went out and when they came back on a couple of seconds or so later we were pegged at 140mph.

I've also been up to 110mph in my Chevy Cavalier. 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine.

Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 30 May 2001).]
                          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

and I feel sorry for anyone whom can't convert. hehe
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

The original post was in MPH, so it should be the metrics doing the converting to the right way
                              Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X