My onboard Raid had a hickup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My onboard Raid had a hickup...

My onboard raid had some kind of hickup..

The array just dropped away...

After rebooting everything works again...

Checked the array hdds with IBM's special test software and they check out fine...

Made a new set of backupp discs just in case...

Scary...
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Cole (MURC member, Cole3d.com and CaseETC.com) had the same happen to him and had to send his drives off to Toronto for data recovery... that's at $100/hr
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have an intermittent problem I need to solve here one of these days. Every time I make some changes that require clearance to work in my case, I disconnect the IDE and power cables from my two RAID arrays. When I reconnect them, the Promise doesn't find them, or will find only one array. So far I have swapped IDE cables and checked power cables. Drives spin up so I know they have power.

Usually have to power down, remove/attach cables and it eventually works. Could be one of the boards or plugs on one of the drives. Just haven't had the time to properly diagnose it.
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Might be me, but with a RAID-0 (that's a zero there) you might be in trouble when that happens. Two drives in a RAID? Three is more reliable, more is better, but who are you to run 3 or more drives in a RAID, what do you do then?

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

I have two seperate, two drive RAID 0's for each of the two operating systems I use. I don't use a RAID 0 + 1 for mirroring as I back up in other ways.

I have tried 3 and 4 drive IDE RAID 0's but the performance increase was not worth it to me. It amounted to only a 16% increase over a two drive RAID 0. That was with both the Highpoint and Promise IDE RAID controllers.
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

In my case it seems that it was the onboard raid card that had the hickup and not the drives as I didn't lose any info nor was any of the drives bad.

BTW:

If the onboard dies can i plug in a normal fasttrack and continue to use thw Array with out loosing data?
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

And your posting this question in the SB?!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well... Greebe

I thought initialy that this was a once in a raid card situation and that it wouldent reapear...

And as souch it was posted to SB, because it was an iritation and scared the hell out of me, while I still diden't need any help.

But after some thought I came to realise that the onboard raid could Die and as you all seemed to have a great knowledge about Raid in general I opted to ask.

Many Post's in GH/S Often evolves into threads that should realy be in SB, so why not the other way around?

And If you feel that I has misposted, then you are in your full right's to move it to whatever forum you think it should reside in.

BTW:

I think I have solved it;

It was a bad PS conector!

I changed Power conectors and it seems to be working, (knock on wood)

That has happened to me to many times.

Comment

Working...
                X