No announcement yet.

The Return of the Movie/Anime Thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Return of the Movie/Anime Thread!!!

I just realized we haven't done one of these in a looooong time. Here's Jammrock's movie/anime news:

Movies

Shrek - By far THE funniest movie I have seen in a looooong time. I literally almost fell out of my seat I was laughing so hard. The animation is second to NOTHING (until the Final Fantasy movie comes out at least) and the comedy is great. It gets 5 of 5 laughing Jammrocks.

The Mummy Returns - Story! We don't need no stink'n story! This movie is full of action, special effects, action, special effects and more action. There are, literally, less then 50 spoken lines in the entire movie. Action, action, action, non-stop. 3.5 of 5 action Jammrocks.

Anime Complete or soon to be completed series or movies on DVD.

Trigun - The last DVD comes out next week. This is a quasi-modern old western anime with super human gunslingers...mostly. It's a really good series with a great story, good animation and is all around fun to watch. 4.5 of 5 animated Jammrocks.

Dual Trouble Adventures - A short, yet very funny anime by the same people that made Tenchi Muyo and El Hazard (both really good series, too). It's a spoof of Neon Genesis Evangelion and other anime's. It very funny and very well done. It brings a whole new meaning to the words, "shock absorbers." 4 of 5 animated Jammrock's.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - It has been discussed several times on the forums. The last DVD for the TV series is out (#7). The movie and remade last 3 episodes come out 30 October. It's wierd, it's messed up, it's anime. 4.5 of 5 animated Jammrocks.

Other News

Lord of the Rings - A new trailer is due out on the web this Friday. Rumors also have it that the new trailer will be played before the US release of Pearl Harbor. "Americans, they're always late for wars."

Animated movies make a comback! - There are at least 4 major animated movies being released this year. The hilarious comedy, Shrek and the video game based Final Fantasy the Movie, are computer animated masterpieces that are due out this summer. Disney is releasing the very aniticipated H.P. Lovecraftian hand drawn w/ computer assit, Atlantis. In November the now famous Pixar will release Monsters, Inc. The last of the big computer animated movies.

That just about covers the Jammrock report. Feel free to post your own reviews and thoughts. Until next time...

------------------
    ]@/\/\/\/\|Ø\0©|<

Athlon 650
    256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
    87 GB storage from WD & IBM
    Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
    SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
    Please email me if you would like to contribute to the "Jammrock needs new toys" fund.

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 22 May 2001).]
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

My wife and I saw Shrek yesterday. We made the mistake of hitting a matinee - kinds running up & down the aisles, screaming.

Anyway, the movie was okay. Animation was fabulous - surpassing the Stuart Little up-close animation.

The story was decent but included lots of fart, burp, peeing jokes that I really dislike in kids movies.

They did have the FF trailer before the movie and... WOW... that's animation.

I'll watch Mummy on DVD later.

My pick for best-movie-this-year-you've-never-heard-of is The Tao of Steve. If you haven't seen it, go look for it on video/DVD.

(edit: spelling)

[This message has been edited by ahartman (edited 22 May 2001).]
    PIII 550@605
    IWill Motherboard VD133
    VIA Chipset
    512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
    G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
    DirectX 8.0a
    SB Live! Value
    8x DVD (Toshiba)
    6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
    Intel Pro/100+ NIC
    3Com CMX Cable Modem
    Optiquest V95 19"
    HP 812C Color Ink Jet
    Microtek flatbed scanner
    Intellimouse Explorer
    Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
    AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

You know what irks me? The last 3-4 times I've been over to Best Buy, they've had in stock discs 1,3,4,5, and 6 of Escaflowne. I have disc 1 already...

See the problem here?

On the upside, I did pick up Eva Disc 4 last time I was over there .

I'm still impatiently waiting for 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' to be released on DVD.

I am very much looking forward to the opening of Pearl Harbor this weekend. Atlantis also gives the impression that Disney is trying to make a comeback and start makeing good movies again, we'll just have to wait and see.

As for the new LoTR trailer, I'll just have to find someplace (local community college where I know all of the help desk people) with a big pipe to the net to go watch it.

Ian
      Primary System:
      MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
      120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
      Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
      Seccondary System:
      Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
      3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
      Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
      Tertiary system
      Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
      Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Hehe, my friend convinced me to watch Evangelion a while back, and I liked it enough to buy the DVDs To my knowledge, DVD #8 is supposed to be released in June, and the movies are to be released in October.

Comment

future movie report - Final Fantasy
          http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-...multimedia.php

mmm I already know I want it on DVD

Dan
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Liquid Snake,

They changed it. Since no one liked the original ending (ep 25 and 26, VHS #13), they cut them from the US DVD release. DVD #7 will have episodes 21-24 on them. When the movie DVD hits in October, it will have the alternate Japanese ending, plus the End of Evangelion movie.

The reason is that the alternate ending was release as a movie caled Death and Rebirth in Japan. Since ADV Films lost the movie rights, including D&R, ADV cannot release the alternate ending, which makes some sort of sense. So Manga Ent is releasing in on 30 october with End of Evangelion.

Jammrock

Comment

So:

We will not see ep. 25 or 26 on DVD here.
              We will see Death and Rebirth and EoE on DVD.

Right?

Comment

CORRECTION

I just got in EVA DVD #7 and it only has through episodes 23. That means there will be an eigth DVD! My source where WRONG!!!!

Looks like I'll need new sources.

Jammrock

Comment

OK, but ep 25 and 26 still sucked

Comment

the movie I am waiting on is Jim Carrey's The Grinch.....prolly waiting untill holidays for that one =(

-Dil
                    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Anyone seen Princess Mononoke... I was going to buy it maybe... but I don't want to get ripped off..

Escaflowne is cool... I watched some of the first episodes on TV... I think I will have to go and buy them
                      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

cbman,

A word of advice...the TV version of Escaflowne SUCKED compared to the unedited Japanese version. The DVD's are unedited. If you want to watch Escaflowne, get the DVD's.

Princess Mononoke is really, really good. One of Miyazaki's best films. The DVD is very well done, and it has 2 set of subtitles. One with a scripted rtanslation and one with a literal translation. Another Miyazaki movie out of DVD is called the Castle of Caglistoro (sp?). It's an older film and a comedy. It's very good though.

Liquid Snake,

Yes I know they sucked, and they are still going to suck. If episode 24 wasn't on it (a very critical show), I wouldn't get it.

Jammrock

Comment

WHERE are the last two discs of Escaflowne, darn it?

I know, I know... any day now.

Anyhow, I'm irked by a rising trend in the Anime world.

First of all, 4 20-minute episodes per disc is chitzy at full price, but I'm willing to tolerate it.

But what's with all these series all of a sudden putting 4 episodes on the first few discs, then after that only 3 per disc... then after a few more only 2 per disc...

GRR.

- Gurm

P.S. Why do you refer to Monsters, Inc. as the last of the computer animated movies?

------------------
                          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Well I've already seen all of the series, I'm just collecting the DVDs The main reason the companies put four episodes on a disc, then three, then two, is obviously for financial reasons. Yes, it's very annoying. I wouldn't mind as long as the prices decreased as the # of episodes went down, but unfortunately that's not the case.

Comment

The number of episodes per DVD depends on the company, the series length, whether it's already out on VHS and the series popularity. Mostly it costs around $5 per episode. Examples:

Outlaw Star: Bandai, moderately popular, been out on VHS for a while, 26 episodes. Released on 3 DVD set with 8-9 episodes a piece @ $35-45 = ~$4.60 an episode.

Cowboy Bebop: Bandai, very popular, been out on VHS for a while, 26 episodes. Released on 6 DVD's @ $25-30 = ~$6 an episode.

Rurouni Kenshin TV series: Anime Works, popular, simultaneous DVD/VHS release 95 episodes. Starts at 4 episodes, now released as 5 episodes, will be about 20 DVD's @ $25 = $5.30 an episode.

Unless you get into the insanely popular series:

Trigun: Pioneer, insanely popular, simultaneous release, 26 episodes. 4-3 episodes per DVD @ $30 = ~$9.20 an episode.

Macross: AnimEgo, insanely popular, DVD only, 36 episodes. 3-4 episodes on 9 DVD's at ~$250 for the set = ~$7 an episode.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: ADV Films, insanely popular, VHS has been out for a long time, 26 epsiodes. 8 DVDs @ $30 = $9.20 an episode.

But if you put it in prospective...

Eva on VHS: 13 tapes @ $30 = $15 per episode!!!!!

Makes me glad the VHS days of anime are gone. With DVD you also get better picture, sound, subs, dubs and extra's. It's a steal if you ask me.

Bandai, aka AnimeVillage, anounced that almost all of their new series will be release on 6 DVD's (unless the series goes longer than 26 episodes) or in DVD collector sets of 8-9 episodes per set. That will keep prices down to ~$5 per episode.

As for Monsters Inc...I meant to say it was the last animated movie of this year, not the last one ever.

Jammrock

Comment

Working...
                              X