This movie does not allow saving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This movie does not allow saving

I've always liked Apple's <a href="http://www.apple.com/trailers/">QuickTime Movie Trailers</a> page, partly because of the quality, but even better was that it didn't give any stupid nonsense and simply let you download the trailer and save it for later viewing.

Until now, that is. The recent Pearl Harbor trailer or the 2nd Jurassic Park III trailer just pops up a silly message announcing that saving is not allowed.

Now how stupid is this? When it tells you that, the movie is already saved on your computer. If it was downloaded by the plug-in, it's in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and full-screen trailers downloaded by the QuickTime Player end up in your TEMP folder.

Why the hell are they trying to stop me from keeping a copy of an ADVERTISEMENT of all things? Download it again and again if you want to check it out another time or just want to show it to one of your friends?

For you convenience, here are the direct download links for the aforementioned trailers,

<a href="http://a1888.g.akamai.net/5/1888/51/8ebf9799bf45a2/1a1a1aaa2198c627970773d80669d84574a8d80d3cb12453c0 2589f25382f668c9329e0375e8178bfa6fd23aad2190fe6392 0267c83aa6056dce40a2118 3b2184cc1/pearl_harbor_480.l.mov">pearl_harbor_480.l.mov</a> (35683K)
    <a href="http://a368.g.akamai.net/5/368/51/4cfca8cdb94a24/1a1a1aaa2198c627970773d80669d84574a8d80d3cb12453c0 2589f25382f668c9329e0375e8178cfa63d93eb02384f01f89 fe70d144b72083e252b32590e f22/jurassic_park_3-trlr2_fs.l.mov">jurassic_park_3-trlr2_fs.l.mov</a> (24525K)

They've been doing this a lot lately. The first one I noticed was the trailer for "Dungeons and Dragons".

The quickest workaround I have found is to turn off the computer, and then go looking for the temporary file and rename it to *.mov, but that of course is bad for a number of reasons.

They're doing it to make sure people ONLY get the clip from their official site.

I think it's stupid, and don't know a good workaround yet.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

I usually just go for the file in cache while the window it came from is still up. No need to turn anything off, just copy & paste. Only so many files that large are in the cache.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Jammrock's full method on how to get trailers from Quicktime's Trailer Park.

1) Install Netscape, if not already there. It is much easier to do with Netscape than IE.

2) Install the new Quicktime 5.0.

3) Open the windows Control Panel and open the Quicktime applet.

4) Click the drop down box and select Browser Plug-in.

5) Check the 'Save Movie in Disk Cache' option and exit.

6) Open Netscape and go to www.apple.com/trailers . Download your trailer of choice.

7) Once the trailer is DONE DOWNLOADING, open Windows Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Netscape\Users\[user/default]\Cache.

8) In the Windows Explorer option menu, select View -> Details.

9) Click on the Size column twice and it will list the Quicktime movies first (since they will be the biggest files in the cache).

10) Copy, do not move, the trailer to you desired location and rename it.

That's that. The only time that has not worked is with the original Lord of the Ring Internet preview thing, but that's an entirely other story.

------------------
        ]@/\/\/\/\|Ø\0©|<

Athlon 650
        256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
        87 GB storage from WD & IBM
        Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
        SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
        Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
        Please email me if you would like to contribute to the "Jammrock needs new toys" fund.

[This message has been edited by Jammrock (edited 24 May 2001).]
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

QuickTime 4.whatever had an option buried in its preferences that allowed for saving to cache. It's the only reason I even use QT, as it's a total PITA to re-d/l QT whenever you have to reinstall it...

If QT 5 also has such an option, that might be of some help when d/l-ing with IE.

----------------------------
          Holly

Comment

IE likes hiding it's cache is several places, which is why I say use Netscape. It's always in the same spot and always works.

Jammrock
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Ok, the reason this works better in Netscape than in IE is twofold - IE maintains a file lock on the file and SOMETIMES won't let you copy it. Hehe.

Mozilla rules!

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

The problem is when it's a full-screen trailer and it's not your browser via the QT plug-in downloading the file, but the QuickTime Player application.

If the plug-in is used, it isn't that hard to do a Search for *.mov in the Temporary Internet Files folder and find the file in IE's browser cache either.

The QT Player application stores the file under a general .TMP file name in the temporary folder as specified by the TEMP environment variable and keeps the file locked from other processes.

I tried denying Delete rights in Win2000's NTFS file security settings to stop it from removing it when the player is closed, then proceeded to kill the QT player's process in Task Manager without closing it gracefully. Strangely enough the file vanished anyway.

So in the end I simply used a proxy to get the exact URL of the .mov file it's downloading...

Comment

I havent used Quicktime Since the Debute of ver 4 because it hosed all mime settings in browsers (IE & NS) So it was used instead of my soundcard.
                  And even after a Uninstall it left 11 MB of junk files in c:\windows\system\...

Does ver 5 alove you to totaly uninstall ?
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I don't know. Why would I ever want to uninstall it? QuickTime is one of the few must have applications.

It certainly has an Uninstaller and appears in Add/Remove.

Comment

I got feed up with ver.4 because it hijacked the MIME settings in IE and NS and at that time i had (and still has) a SBLIVE and I rather listen to hardware MIDI than software...

Not to mention that it disables "save as" for most things also..

And worst of all (I had a smaller HDD then) when I uninstaled that POS it still left 11MB of junk in system katalogue...

And ofcourse the "do you want to uppgrade to pro?" everytime you started it...
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                      X