When did you first go online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you first go online?

I just realised how long I've been using the 'internet' (in quotes cos it was hardly the internet we now all love and cherish back then!)

I think I must have first started on Compuserve (an early version - the BBS text based service, then OS2CIM and WINCIM 1.something). Then came along Mosaic - now what a fantastic browser that was! Must have been back in 1992/1993? Can't remember now. Gawd i was only 12 years old!

Then on through IE2-6. NEVER used netscape for more than 10 minutes at a time before wanting to destroy the computer.

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

I first started using the net in 1996 when I started at a school that was connected

Horrible... we used a VT100 terminal emulator to check our e-mail cause the admins had no idea whatsoever that you could actually set up IE as your "mail-browser".

And took me even longer to get online at home... didnĀ“t get my own connection till march 1st this year
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

hmmm if you include BBS, I think about 1988 with a 1200/75 bps modem. Most days the line was so bad so I had to connect at 300bps

The NET about 1992 and god did I hate gopher

Now I have a DSL with a 1.5mbps dowline and 500kbps upline life has Improved

Dan
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Hard to say... Hmm...

Got the Compaq 486SX/33 with the 14.4 Modem about 5 or 6 years ago?.. (1995-96) and was online I think at the end of 96 (Christmas Present)
        AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Acording to the dates when my directory was created at my ISP's server it was somewhere around nov 96'.

28.8kbps modem and it was fast then

Started with NS 3 and every version upward

IE 3,4,5 has trached my OS a couple of times so I don't use IE if I don't have to.
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Mwahahahaha....
            If you include the acoustic cradle connection
            to a mainframe across campus that I used in
            Physics II when I was getting my first
            degree then 1971

If only BBSs etc. count then 1988 or 1989

chuck
            Chuck
            ƧĀ§ā€¹Ć©ÅøĀ³Ć§Å”ā€žĆ§Ė†ĀøƧĖ†Āø

Comment

Hmm, it's when I had my apple II+ - probably around '83 or so? Can't remember exactly. I had to borrow a modem from a friend cuz I couldn't afford one.

I really got into things when I started college ('88) - telnetting to MUDs from the school's VAX computers. My favorite was using the school's dial-out capabilities of the VAX to log into pirate BBSes around the country. Once I found something I wanted, I would dial directly to them and d/l at 2400.
              PIII 550@605
              IWill Motherboard VD133
              VIA Chipset
              512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
              G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
              DirectX 8.0a
              SB Live! Value
              8x DVD (Toshiba)
              6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
              Intel Pro/100+ NIC
              3Com CMX Cable Modem
              Optiquest V95 19"
              HP 812C Color Ink Jet
              Microtek flatbed scanner
              Intellimouse Explorer
              Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
              AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

First experience connecting my computer to another computer through a phoneline was in the early '80s with my C64, at 300baud, to the local public library's card catalogue system. From there, I moved on to BBSes for a few years.

First time on the actual internet was in 1992 when I started university, connecting through my 9600 baud modem into their system (text based only of course). Ah the good old days of Pine, lynx, gopher, archie, and of course wuarchive.wustl.edu for free software .

------------------
                Andrew
                Carpe Cerevisi
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

1991 or 1992, definitely before I started Med School. Pr0n was difficult to download on my friend's Quadra (he's in London now) using lynx. 10.jpg I believe was the first file I dled hehe from www.penthousemag.com. LOL
                  Did not know what it looked like until after it was saved. Been a net addict since then.
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

cjolley,

1971!!!!

I wasn't even an itch in my father crotch back then!!!

------------------
                    ]@/\/\/\/\|Ƙ\0Ā©|<

Athlon 650
                    256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
                    87 GB storage from WD & IBM
                    Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
                    SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
                    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
                    Please email me if you would like to contribute to the "Jammrock needs new toys" fund.
                    Ć¢ā‚¬Å“Inside every sane person thereĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s a madman struggling to get outĆ¢ā‚¬Ā
                    Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œThe Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

1990-1995=BBS's in Okinawa, Japan and then Tennessee. Using a 286-12 with 2400b modem.
                      1995-1998-33.6b BBS'S and internet.
                      1998-2001-UK-Use net connection at work. Much faster than POS BT crap. No modem at home until DSL/Cable gets here in 2005.

11 years of surfing almost very day!

I was born in 1980......

Thanks for the reminder SteveC
                      C:\DOS
                      C:\DOS\RUN
                      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Well, being that half of you got started before I was born... I first started using the net in late 1996 (I was 10 back then). Moved on to Earthlink in 1998 and then onto my current 1mbps SDSL in Aug. 2000

Comment

with my c= vic20 and the 300 buad modem in the 70's using compuserve. ah those were the days.

and the lovely cassette tapes used for programs.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Liquid Snake:
                            Well, being that half of you got started before I was born... I first started using the net in late 1996 (I was 10 back then). Moved on to Earthlink in 1998 and then onto my current 1mbps SDSL in Aug. 2000 </font>

C:\DOS
                            C:\DOS\RUN
                            \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Gee, hard to remember. I do remember MUDs though. Spent far to much time on them at $5 an hour, or part thereof.

I was using an Amstrad XT, which was new at the time, so I could probably work it out from that if I wasnted to. Guessing about 90-92.

I also remeber the BBS. Had to go to my fathers work, and use the acoustic couple on their Burrows main frame (which is now in the early settlers museum here in town).

Ali

Comment

Working...
                              X