Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compaq: A perfect example on how a computer should not be implemented.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compaq: A perfect example on how a computer should not be implemented.

Every time a Compaq crosses my path I know that the rest of the day can't possibly become worse.

I divide Compaq's in X different classes:

The compact boxes:

Here the designers from Compaq has used every dirty trick in the book to squeeze the normal amounts of components in a box that's the size of a normal shoe box.

The Balloon boxes:

These boxes dwarves the most computer cases.
    In this box the components are not crammed but more than one hdd, one fdd and a cd-rom is everything that fits.
    Lots of space but nowhere to attach anything, so while they spacious you can't benefit from the monstrous size of the case and ad more hardware.

The HOT boxes:

These are not specifically a type of box; they are more of an internal condition.
    Almost no airflow.
    Big but ineffective passive CPU heat sinks.
    Powersuplys that deposit preheated air on above mentioned Heatsinks.
    A fan duct system that tries to remove warm air from a CPU in a box with no cold air intakes.
    IDE cables wrapped or coiled around above-mentioned Heatsinks.
    Often all of these combined to achieve a heat production that an electric heater would envy.

The expandable/upgradeable boxes:

These are not specifically a type of box; they are more of an exaggeration on Compaq's side.
    ZIF sockets that has Heatsinks that are glued to the mainboard making CPU upgrades technically possibly but practically impossible.
    Mainboards with one memory slot and 1 PCI/ISA slot or non at all.
    Lots of Memory slots and PCI/ISA slots but no empty ones.
    Mainboards that already has the max amount of memory it can handle, the fastest cpu it can handle and so on at delivery and yet have the stickers proclaiming that it's future proof through memory and cpu upgrades.

The Models Compaq don't want to discuss:

Almost no information besides model number and the fact that there is no listing on components nor any drivers, bios updates, etc etc
    It boils down to ripping it apart and checking which chip is used for vga, sound, etc etc.

The Models Compaq Forgot/denied:

These Compaq's doesn't officially exist.
    Same procedure as with "The Models Compaq don't want to discuss"

Combine these "features" and you get the computer from hell.

Its pure hell when somebody wants one of the "supercomputers" cured from their instability problems, hardware incompatibilities, missing drivers or broken hardware/software.

The only Compaq I had genuine use was one of the hotboxes that converted 16 degrees C air to 50 degrees C air, it came in handy when the heater at work failed last year.
    After vacuum cleaning, replacement of heatsinks, reorganising of various cables the out going air was less than 1 1/5 times as hot as the incoming air.

On Monday I have to troubleshoot a model I haven't seen yet that don't want to start after lightning stuck.
    Oh, joy...

EDIT: " & ' becomes ? strange

[This message has been edited by Technoid (edited 12 May 2001).]
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Don't forget that every new Compaq you find on this world thinks that everything in there should run on IRQ 11, no matter if it's build in on the mobo or not

First thing to do before installing anything, no matter how small the mobo, is go to the BIOS and tell the darn thing to set IRQs for NIC, videocard, soundcard and everything else you have in there plus set ACPI on, or you'll run into problems, even with Win2k

Jord, been there, done that for 450 PCs at Sony
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Having worked for several Compaq resellers over the past 14 years I've come across a fair few of their PC's and although the quality of them is not as good as it was 5-10 years ago I'd still rather supply and support them then PC's from Dell, Gateway etc. Like all PC manufacturers they've had to reduce costs to remain competative which of course has had an adverse effect on quality.
      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Question though.

Didn't Compaq introduce the coloured backplates? So we could find the monitor. mouse, videcard etc. plugs by colour?

I do think it's innovative. although the two COM ports don't say which is COM1 and which is COM2

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

The funny thing is how NICE compaq servers are. Its basically two different compaines.

Compaq servers are a joy to work on.
          Its so odd a company can produce such crap, consitantly for one market, then turn around and perform flawlessly in anouther market...

Comment

I think the only way to "support" a Compaq DC is to put both hands on the bottom so it doesn't fall apart as you throw it out the window.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

There is actualy a Brand that is worse than every else:

Olivetti

Makes you wanna run away in fear, doesn't it?
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Compaq Server= good
                Compaq Desktop=shit
                is a general rule of thumb.
                Checking out the chipsets on some Compaqs, you'd think PCChips mobo
                [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I have to disagree here to a certain extent.

Firstly, I agree whole-heartedly that Compaq servers are great (just better that IBM's NetFinity's IMHO).

BUT - they can make good things too!

Firstly, their Pocket PC, the iPAQ is fantastic!

Also, their Deskpro desktops are nice machines too! At work we almost only buy Compaq deskpros for our desktop machines. I'm quite impressed as we've had a way less that 1% failure rate on them, and they just work! PII or PIII's on BX chipsets in spacious cases which can be desktop or mini tower. They've actually been using the SAME insides on their Deskpro's for years now - we have Celeron 300's and PII 350's all the way up to 7 and 800 Mhz PIII's with the same case, PSU, hard drives, graphics cards (G200s !! ) and mainboards. Only thing I've seen change are the sounds cards - went from an crystal ISA to a PCI one.

Their home machines, however, are totally 110% sh*te Anything with the name Presario in it needs burning at the stake!

Comment

Yes, let's please delineate the DeskPro machines from the rest of their desktops. These are serious professional machines, and are easy to manage, easy to repair, and easy to roll stuff out on.

We have a couple hundred here, and to tell if the machine is working or not it's two mouse clicks away from my workstation to get an entire diagnostic on the machine in question.

And their servers can't be beat.

- Gurm

------------------
                    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                    If only life were as easy as you
                    I would still get screwed

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">There is actualy a Brand that is worse than every else:

Olivetti

Makes you wanna run away in fear, doesn't it?</font>
                      In Europe it might be scary.. in the U.S. It's Packard Bell (aka Crapard Hell). When I sold computers, lots of people confused Hewlett-Packard with Packard Bell and wouldn't buy an HP no matter what.. these people usually wound up taking home Compaqs

Comment

When it comes to business computers, server or desktop, the following generalizations apply:

Compaq = good
                        Dell = cheap

Therefore, my company uses Dell OptiPlex desktops and Compaq Proliant servers almost exclusively. We do have some new Dell PowerEdge servers, and they're not too bad, and they're a good 20-30% cheaper than compaq. As with most of the computer industry though, you get what you pay for (unless it says IBM on it )

------------------
                        Andrew
                        Carpe Cerevisi

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 14 May 2001).]
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Our director claims that I hold the all-time recored for filling up a Compaq Server.
                          I was doing a data conversion from our old mainframe and ran out of room on a Proliant 7000 with 52 gigs of raid 5 space in one day.
                          I couldn't tell if he was laughing or crying.
                          His choice was to get more drives or do without the $3,000,000,000 in tax records that were in the flat files
                          chuck

PS They buy Gateway PCs here
                          That's why I have a 21" monitor running off of a TNT2.
                          Unbelievable. (Place barfing smily here)

Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

My first PC was an Olivetti.
                            It was crap, hell and worse.

First i ripped the Mozart soundcard.

Then i plugged a Mystique 4MB in it.

Then i Upped the memmory to 24 (much in 96')

Then i took all the good parts and tossed the can and the motherboard

Comment

Working...
                            X