Douglas Noel Adams is no longer with us :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas Noel Adams is no longer with us :(

<TABLE BGCOLOR="#000000"><TR><TD><FONT FACE="verdana" COLOR="#CCCCCC" SIZE="2">The author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, inventor of the babelfish, died 49 years old of a heart attack.

<FONT SIZE="4">So long, and thanks for all the fish!</FONT>

AZ</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

[This message has been edited by az (edited 12 May 2001).]
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Man I loved his stuff!

Favorite Hitchhikers Guide quote:

"TimeĀ“s an illusion, lunchtime doubly so!"
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Sad to hear it

Thanks for some great journeys.
      System:
      Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
      AMD Thunderbird 800
      SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
      Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
      LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
      IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
      Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
      WinME
      directx 8.0a
      384mb pc133

Comment

He will most definitely be missed.

---------------------
        Holly

Comment

I think I'm going to have to sit down and have a cup of abrownian motion.

I liked hitch hikers, but don't forget Dirk Gentlies holistic detective agency.

poor truck driver was also a rain god

Dan
          Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

He had an amazing sense of humour and will be greatly missed

Ford 'Prepare yourself Arthur, going into hyperspace is a bit like being drunk'
            Arthur 'What's wrong with being drunk'
            Ford 'Ask a glass of water'

[This message has been edited by Taz (edited 13 May 2001).]
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

That sucks..

It's really the end of the universe then.. that wacky weird wonderful universe thought up in the mind of that wacky weird wonderful genius? There will be no more tales of Dirk Gently, or Ford Prefect, or any other wonderful Adamsian oddballs? It's too sad to even think about. This man plastered a goofy smile on my face from the first page to the last, made me think about all sorts of odd and interesting things, made the English language dance and cavort and endlessly entertain. If I were to be missed as much as he will be, I don't think I would leave in the first place. Be blessed wherever you go from here Doug Adams, for you have given the world great joy.

------------------
              Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

awww MAN!!!! that just BLOWS GOATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he was so cool. oh well, i guess all good thing(and people) must come to an end...

rest in peace

fredo

[This message has been edited by fredo5 (edited 13 May 2001).]

Comment

'Now the world has gone to bed,
                  Darkness won't engulf my head,
                  I can see in infrared,
                  How I hate the night'

Marvin

A sad day.

Comment

I really really liked Adams and his work. But I won't regret not having another story with Ford Prefect. HG2G was awesome, and the next few were nearly as good, but the end of the series was pretty bad. It lost a lot of the, ummm, "un-common sense" that moved the Universe in the first few. And the multi-dimensional H2G2 II and Prefect's daughter were all a reach.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for all the fish, Adams.
                      Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

There are so many wonderful people on this earth. It's always sad to see them go...

HHG2G was inspiring to me as I grew up. Thanks for making another positive in my life!

Dave
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I shall raise a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster or three in his memory.
                          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Dammit, the good ones die young don't they
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

He will certainly be missed. HHGTTG is probably my all-time favourite series of novels. I think it was definitely a finished work, but I would've liked some more Dirk Gently stories. Oh well, everyone has to go sometime. Rest in peace.

As for my two favourite quotes:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realised that there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.</font>
                              and

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">'How do you feel?' he asked him.
                              'Like a military academy,' said Arthur, 'bits of me keep passing out.'</font>
                              [This message has been edited by agallag (edited 14 May 2001).]
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X