Working at Matrox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working at Matrox

I'll be working at Matrox this summer in Montreal (it's a summer job). I'd like to know what to expect (first real job, first time at matrox

anyone here that works/worked there?

Also, I'd like a general opinion on the future of the company since I'm interested in matrox for the future (I'm in comp eng/hardware). I know they're good in the business sector. how does the future look for them?

Hi, somedude. Welcome to the working world!

Can you disclose what position you will have there for the summer? Is it for school credit or work experience?

PS, just don't violate the NDA's and you'll be just fine. And get them going on that G800!
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

Congratulations, somedude!

There are several Matrox employees that post with some regularity to the MURC forums. Haig, who manages Matrox-Canada's Tech Support Department, and ROM, who deals with gaming issues. There have been several others. One way to tell is that they will refer to Matrox as "we." It's all in the pronouns.

Matrox is in many ways a remarkable company. Like many high-tech companies, they started in a garage. They have been in the black every year in their 25 year history. Despite some nutty and completely eroneous predictions from some gamers, they reported enormous sales numbers for 2000.

Matrox is a privately held company. I haven't worked for Matrox, but I've found that privately held companies are often run like mom and pop shops, even if they're pretty big. I actually like this, although things can get a little nutty. I'm just talking from my experience here, and, again, I've certainly never worked for Matrox. I think it should be an interesting and positive experience. Maybe a launching pad for your career.

These internships tend to be what you make of them. This is going to sound a little trite, but work hard and accept responsibility. People watch interns, and an internship is a great way to get a job in your chosen profession.

Good luck.

Paul
      paulcs@speakeasy.net

Comment

I hope you can swim and don't mind getting your head shaved.

Haig

Comment

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ahhhhhhhh SPLASH.

Good one Haig.

------------------
          #1 DRILL SERGEANT PICK-UP LINE

"You make me hornier before 9 AM than most
          people do all day!"

Comment

Hi Somedude,

When we say "your head shaved" we mean eyebrows, beard and moustache as well

------------------

[This message has been edited by RichieG (edited 16 April 2001).]

Comment

Hey Haig you still got that smoking "room" there, I call it a room it was about the size of a shower cubicle

Comment

Hehe,

yeah that room was pretty cramped wasn't it. It's gone though.

------------------

Comment

Haig: is that your initiation ritual?

hey, 2 unrelated questions. How's your gym? (I'll be using it. what do you have in there? any stepper, weights?)

and second question: How much hardware design do you do (how many hardware engineers do you have? Because that's what I'm going into, and I wouldn't mind working at matrox after graduating )

Comment

That's just part of our initiation

Our gym is quite huge and has all the new gadgets you can think of.

Can't answer your 2nd question though.

Haig

Comment

ScompRacer: It's just a summer job, not for credit. I'll be programming in VB and SQL server. I haven't signed any NDA (yet ) but either way I don't think I'm doing anything wrong by saying what my job will be.

It's gonna be hard I guess (my first real 40hr/week job) but I'm pretty excited by it.

From what I can see, Matrox is a good company to work for.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Haig:
                        Our gym is quite huge and has all the new gadgets you can think of.</font>
                        Branding irons, thumb screws, whips, chains, a vintage 14th century Iron Maiden, and one of those rat cages that lock over your head. (Vincent Price used to be Matrox's Vice President of Personnel and Human Services.)

Oh, and a Jacuzzi! At least I think that's what they're calling the vat of boiling oil these days.

Paul
                        paulcs@speakeasy.net

Comment

Hey,

he's not supposed to know the rest of the initiation

Haig

Comment

Not only initiation. That's how some corporations motivate their people to get results.
                            MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                            Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                            512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                            Matrox P
                            X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                            LianLiPC70

Comment

Until they turn blue in the face scomp?

heh

sorry paul and oboy

Comment

Working...