Black & White - Worst first impresion ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black & White - Worst first impresion ever

Alert: this is a "Rant", If you can't stand that I am bloving steam, then you don't have to read!

The first minute or so was great, then it went down the drain.

The "helpers" in this game makes MS office helpers look bleak in comparision.

I have never ever had to endure a worse game start.

Every else game has an option to skip introductions, but nooo.

Ususaly "Esc" key works, but nooooo

Usualy you try to get your bearings in a new and different game inteface, but nooo, you have to do this and that.

You can cudle or slap your avatar or animal or what its caled, But i Want to blow those "helpers" to bits with the evil BFG2K canon

The game might be great, but I want to decide what to do and when

Hopefully someone makes a skin of the "helpers" for some "shot his ass to bits" game, so I can indulge myself.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Well, I'll be getting my first impression in about 5 minutes

I'll let you know what I thought!

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Just wait until you notice you cannot do a lot of things on the first land even after enduring the initial tutorial.

You are not allowed yet to manipulate the totem and have worshippers, cast spells with a gesture and so on.
      Even creature help won't show up by design unless you jump into a skirmish or net game for a while.

B&W is an extremely frustrating game most of the time.

I still couldn't get myself to stop playing. Well at least until land 5 where there are several problems, awful gameplay ideas, and I even got dumped back to the desktop with a runtime error after not saving for two hours..

Anyway, I became attached to my clever, angelic gorilla and would love to get back to training him new spells. If only that jerk Nemesis was finally out of the way.

Comment

Yea, it's all right
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

My tiger ate a human and when i finaly got to "interaction" mode he had already taken a cow up.
          So instead of understanding that humans is of limits he tought that cows were of limits.

He managed to eat another before i could corect his bad behauvur.
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

my creature is pure evil! If i dont keep him on a fluffy leash he torches everything in sight. He is currently going through a phase of searching for large rocks and then lobbing them at sheep!

I cant just sit back and watch him for hours...god i love this game
            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

OK, you can play in any way, but if it torches your willage and it's inhabitants, isn't it counterproductive?

Comment

No, all you really need the little people for is their belief and worship power.

The more belief you have, the bigger your sphere of influence (the red circle) where you are free to do anything with your evil hand indefinitely. You can only get outside the red boundary (zoom out to see it) with your hand for a short time.

And doing evil things to people is a fun and straightforward way to make them believe in your ways more.

Then all you have to watch out for is that your followers don't completely die out because either you or your creature play around with them. In fact the more people you have the bigger your influence will be. So just make a lot of them into Breeder disciples (pick one up and move it next to someone of another gender until the heart icon appears) and watch them multiply.

Oh, so they don't have homes to live in? They don't have enough food? That's their own damned problem.

You can play skirmish or net games or even finish the single player part being utterly evil without any problems.

Why it's still not always worthy to be an evil player during the short single player campaign is that many Silver Reward quests give you pretty nice rewards (like another creature you could switch to, or in one case even a whole town a few lands later) but only if you complete them in a good way. Playing evil all too often gets you nothing but a funny message.

[This message has been edited by fds (edited 06 May 2001).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Technoid:
                  My tiger ate a human and when i finaly got to "interaction" mode he had already taken a cow up.
                  So instead of understanding that humans is of limits he tought that cows were of limits.

He managed to eat another before i could corect his bad behauvur.
                  </font>
                  Try pressing Alt+1 to activate slow down time mode.

You will have a hard time teaching your creature on the first land without creature help though. When it's finally on, it will tell you what your creature wants to do, or what effect your actions had on him.
                  Teach him all the spells you could find instead. There are plenty of very convenient automatically recharging one-shot miracle dispensers. You have to cast the spells in front of your creature over and over again until you get the 100% light bulb which means he can now cast that miracle too.

By the way, the tiger has the hardest time understanding things and the biggest appetite for humans. Mine ate five until he seemingly stopped. I switched him over to the gorilla soon after that. There are four downloadable creature packs (get them on planetblackandwhite or gamespot) and you can simply trade your current creature with them if you find a little hut with a silver reward scroll next to it, either on the first or the fourth land.

Comment

Well, he (or It) seems to have stopped now.
                    If i switch him I wont have the chanse to slap some sense in to him

The only thing I would like is the ability to do something realy evil against the "advisors"

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fds:
                      And doing evil things to people is a fun and straightforward way to make them believe in your ways more.
                      </font>
                      Oh dear, you must be working for MicroSoft...
                      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                      My System
                      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                      German ATI-forum

Comment

I like the game, but HATE the interface. I haven't even played it for a couple weeks now because the interface pisses me off so damn much.

Being limited on the first world isn't so bad - after all MANY real time strategy games do this to you. In Warcraft you can't use all the units and abilities on the first level.

BUT the key difference here is that the first level of B&W can easily take you a few days to finish, whereas the first level of Warcraft is a 20-minute affair.

Lionhead really needs to learn something about interface design.

- Gurm

------------------
                        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

B&W is gay.

amish
                          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

The first land is more for you to learn how to interact with things rather than any growth your creature is going to get.

You can leave it anytime after you open the vortex (and you can toss food, wood, ppl thru the vortex as well).

Days on the first land...
                            PIII 550@605
                            IWill Motherboard VD133
                            VIA Chipset
                            512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
                            G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
                            DirectX 8.0a
                            SB Live! Value
                            8x DVD (Toshiba)
                            6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
                            Intel Pro/100+ NIC
                            3Com CMX Cable Modem
                            Optiquest V95 19"
                            HP 812C Color Ink Jet
                            Microtek flatbed scanner
                            Intellimouse Explorer
                            Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
                            AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

My thoughts on B&W:

Its really an impressive game..but its too much work for my likes. I personally dont care to spend days on one island (then again I was playing at 3-4 hour clips) thought that at points that game was dragged out. I couldn't get my leopard/tiger to learn all that many spells. It seemed like it took 10-20 time before he got anything down to do it. I'm at level 5 now and I pretty much put it down since it was being too much work and stop being fun or enteranting.

I guess the best part of this game was that I was having tons of trouble with it and my AIW Radeon, so it came out and the G400MAX was put in! I would have to say that the Radeon is a nicer card for the eye candy in the game..i.e. depth in the water and better rain effects.

Scott

------------------
                              Abit BH6 rev 1.0 Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,ATI Radeon AIW,SB Live! with Klipsch Promedia v2-400, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
                              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                              X