Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shitball MS Software Rant

Ok, here's a rant.

IE6 - sucks balls. I figured I'd try it, considering that it really rocks in WindowsXP (for those of you just tuning in, I test WinXP - however it has left my primary machine due to the Game Theater XP not supporting Windows XP... hmm how ironic).

Well, it DOESN'T rock in Win2k. In fact, it lags when starting up, sometimes locks the machine, launches multiple instances of the EVIL executable called "CTFMON.EXE" (which all of you will become ALL TOO FAMILIAR with in about a month when Office XP reaches a store near you), and just generally sucks.

It no longer leaks memory and hangs the system. No no. It spontaneously shuts its own windows. Hmm good. Instead of fixing the memory leak you just cause it to exhibit LESS unacceptable behavior. GOOD!

And let's move on to CTFMON.EXE - you may all say "it's unreleased software". Well, it's done folks. RTM. Gold. Final. And boy is it a yummy package. Office XP is really neat. Except that it runs a background process called CTFMON. I don't know what in the bloody blue blazes this program does, other than hang explorer.exe and iexplore.exe randomly. That seems to be it. If I delete it and replace it with a text file the whole system seems none the worse, but I hate doing that, it makes me feel like I'm cheating somehow.

And while we're bashing MS software, let me list, in no particular order, horrid software from MS:

1. MS Money.
    2. MS Speech Recognition.
    3. MS Photodrawpaintcreaterenderrasterize... or whatever the hell they call it THIS week.

Do we see a trend?

MS should stick to bloody Operating Systems and Office Software. THat's it. Everything else they write turns to poop.

Ok, I'm done. Time for my nap and maybe a valium.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

I never saw that ctfmon.exe file in Office XP Professional, although I only have Word, Excel and PowerPoint installed.

What does the version info text say about it?

It's probably only monitoring your Capture the Flag performance.

Comment

I have got this file and it has this info:
      File version: 5.1.2409.5
      Description: Cicero Loader
      Copyright: Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. 1981-2001
      Company Name: Microsoft Corporation
      Internal Name: CICLOAD
      Language: English (United States)
      OleSellRegister:
      Original Filname: CICLOAD.EXE
      Product Name: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
      Product Version: 1.00.2409.5

I'm using Office XP on Windows 2000 SP1. And also have this freezes in IE and Explorer since install of Office XP.

------------------
      Live long and prosper!
      Live long and prosper!

Comment

JLP:

If you delete it and replace with some other dummy .exe (a stub) or a text file with the same name... it helps. No more lockups!

I think either Outlook or Frontpage install it.

- Gurm

------------------
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I don't that those two apps do that. I only have Excel, Powerpoint and Word Installed.

Well it doesn't matter that much to me as I use Mozilla for browsing but thanks for tip anyway.

------------------
          Live long and prosper!
          Live long and prosper!

Comment

Does anyone actually know what that apparently useless file does, besides make the system unstable?

My guess it its some background spyware program :P

Comment

Sorry you're having such a rough ride, Gurm...

Anyway, if the hideous proggy says it's a/the "Cicero Loader" maybe we should be wondering WTF "Cicero" is....

Just an idea. Frankly I think it sounds similar (in activity) to the annoying and seemingly useless "Office Startup" installed in your startup folder since Office 95/97, and/or something that would have been connected to the Office StartBar or a FastFind-type utility in the days of yore (in other words, year before last) .

I mistrust the ever-increasing bloat in the Office Suite, myself, so I am not even curious about this version. So if I'm talking out my butt, you know why .

---------------------------
              Holly

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gurm:
                And while we're bashing MS software, let me list, in no particular order, horrid software from MS:

1. MS Money.
                2. MS Speech Recognition.
                3. MS Photodrawpaintcreaterenderrasterize... or whatever the hell they call it THIS week.

Do we see a trend?

MS should stick to bloody Operating Systems and Office Software. THat's it. Everything else they write turns to poop.

Ok, I'm done. Time for my nap and maybe a valium.

- Gurm

</font>
                Actually - just train the voice recognition and it's actually very impressive! It's by far the best voice recognition package I've used yet. I tend to mumble a little and it even works ~95% with me, and with my girlfriend's voice, it's pretty much 99%. And that's after only two extra training sessions.

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Better than Dragon? (Said incredulously like Eddie Murphy says "Better than McDonald's?")

I somehow don't think so. However, L&H's recognition is _SUPPOSED_ to be very good. I just have yet to see it. Works like butt for me.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

OK Gurm - I concur with you now - Microshite Word XP is dire! I run it on win2k and it just crashes all the time!! Going back to office 2000 methinks.

(Although Word/Excel XP work great on my laptop which runs windows XP)

Lost a couple of pages of work now

------------------
                    Cheers,
                    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Are you running the final release? I don't think Word sucks, just that damned CTFMON.EXE thing.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

Working...
                      X