Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE6 beta, need to remove this monster from my system

This is the last time I install beta software from Microsoft
    It took it only one week to work its magic.
    Every time I open a window it would lock. When I press ctrl+alt+del it will show as not responding. In the best of cases I could shut it down this way, in the worst it will give me a BSOD and I have to reboot.

Tryed to uninstall it and revert to a previous configuration, spits an uninstall not succesful at me. After that my primary partition and Control Panel will show as a blank page and the System Info tool won't work so no IE repair tool available.
    Lucky for me I had RegCleaner installed. I could Access Add/Remove via it, select IE6, uninstall and run the IE repair tool this way.
    I could access Control Panel and my primary partiton again, though IE still locks.
    I'm using Opera 5.10 to post this message.

Is there any way to remove it without installing Windows again ?

Um, install IE5 now?
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Setup has detected a newer version of internet Explorer installed on this system.
      Setup cannot continue.

Comment

C:\>format c: /u /q

------------------
        Andrew
        Carpe Cerevisi

[This message has been edited by agallag (edited 20 April 2001).]
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Don't jest agallag - that's what I just had to do!. Bloody IE6 started wrecking my PC after a fortnight.... (then I believe it was IE6 that broke my RAM)

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Did you try uninstalling IE6? I just uninst, then installed IE5 or 5.5 - although not everything changed back! Internetoptionen was one of them

P.
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

There is a tool called IERadicator. It claims to remove all IE versions up to 5.5. I routinely use it to remove IE4 after a new 98SE install and it runs flawlessly. IMO even more stable than normal 98SE . Perhaps this can do the trick for you.

http://www.98lite.net/ieradicator.html

Regards

[This message has been edited by Six Of One (edited 20 April 2001).]

Comment

Did try to uninstall it Pace, it gave me the uninstall not succesful message and wrecked Control Panel and other stuff and still got the message that I had a newer version installed when I ran the IE 5.5 setup.

Anyway, I went on with reinstalling Windows. Didn't do a reformat this time though, booted into dos with a win98 disk and just deleted the Windows, Program Files, Recycle Bin and _Recover folders and all the system files in the root. Booted with the WinME CD and went on with the install setup.

Thanks for the link Six, I'll d/l the program to use for future trouble

Comment

Just wait until IE6 goes release and then install it

Comment

Think I'll let other people do the testing before I even consider installing it

Comment

Working...
                    X