• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone speak French

Any views on this chaps. I cant speak French

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/noncgi...ML/002625.html

regards MD
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Ok, I'll have a crack at it...

Not really something new (or is it nothing at all?) to say though, just the interesting tidbits are quoted here... The infos are from a Matrox France representative.

The lines were translated on the fly with my crummy skills and lacking english vocabulary, so please don't mind the mistakes.

"
    Hardcore gamers
    ---------------

According to a study by Jon Peddie Associates (JPA) in 2000, the hardcore gamers market represents a volume of 1.5 million PCs compared to 55 million buisness oriented PCs for the same period. 3Dfx's sad example is a good illustration of what can happen. So, Matrox does not want to go into the hardcore gamers market for many reasons :
    - 6 month product life cycles, only one (processor) manufaturer can keep up with this pace, not a manufacturer that does processors AND cards...
    - Product launch costs are enormous (publicity, packaging,...)
    - Very low mid/long term profit when you take into account the huge R&D investments.
    "

(This type of argument repeated in more than one answer. They really are pushing that as their strategy)

(Ripped from DarK ReapeR and Beyond 3D )
    "
    Obviously your interest is focused on game solutions. I invite you to read the answers posted to enlighten yourself about Matrox strategy, which, i assure you, is not dedicated to the "low-end"...

About the G800 and G550, I would like to restore the truth bashed by numerous web sites. The "G800" is a pure invention from web sites which were speculating on the name & functions of the next Matrox graphics cards.

And for the "G550", absolutely no information relative to the name, specfications & functions was confirmed by Matrox. The 1st site to publish these rumors was a russian site...

For my part, some things surprise me :

1- That Matrox, considered to be out of track, can be the center of numerous rumours
    2- That you can consider real some informations not confirmed by Matrox.

And about your question on Matrox future, i send you back on the details of the markets
    which are Matrox's main targets... and let you judge by yourself.

"

He answers a few questions on APIs the RT2000 the sales, OpenGL drivers, etc. Nothing really technical at all, more political type answers. I don't have the time to translate it all (exams), but if you're looking for something in particular, just post it up here.

Fred

Comment

Got to say, I don't know who's the guy running g800.com, but he's certainly up to date! And I love his wise ass remarks!

Fred

Comment

Working...
      X