Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combine ICQ, MSN, AIM, and IRC with one program!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combine ICQ, MSN, AIM, and IRC with one program!

Many of my friends refuse to get on one message program. The ones that use AOL won't try ICQ, and the ones on ICQ won't try MSN Messenger. Well, I have tried out a few programs to combine all of my message programs. Trillian does AOL, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, and even IRC, and it does it all at once (and it's free!). It saves resources and time opening all of the programs. When it comes on it automatically connects to all of the applications. It has skins too.
    Give it a try and see what you think.
    Trillian

------------------
    If there is other life out there, they will find us.
    Help cure Cancer instead.

[This message has been edited by Kindness! (edited 12 April 2001).]

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Thanks Kindess

I have tried it before, and didn't like the way it handles MSN users - it doesn't show the online status (big bad point!)

However, it seems ok for IRC and Yahoo. I've just been having ICQ problems (see other thread ), so haven't tested that yet.

I think Jabber/MaxxChat/Bantu and probably some others aren't as good as Trillian though! Hopefully they'll get this MSN thing right soon! (if anyone remember me when they do, post in here and I'll try it again!)

Otherwise I'll be waiting on EveryBuddy ( Linux only at the moment - anyone here want to port it for me? )

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Since MSN wasn't my primary mode, I don't have a prefference. I think it is missing a little thing here and there in some of the programs, but the fact that you can use them all at the same time with one program makes up for it in my book. You are right about EveryBuddy. I got excited about it till I saw that it didn't work on Windows.

Comment

I tried Trillan but i don't like it. I use Miranda ICQ 0.07 now. It's small and clean as ICQ was in it's early days. Try it.
        <a href="http://miranda-icq.sourceforge.net/" title="Visit homepage" lang="en" hreflang="en">Miranda ICQ</a>

------------------
        Live long and prosper!
        Live long and prosper!

Comment

When I first tried Trillian I didn't like it either. The more I played with it and once I got it set up the way I want it, I love it. It is actually a very configurable program. I went through the help thing and learned a lot about it. Also if you download different skins it takes on a different feel.

Comment

I'm still using ICQ 99a - It has got everything I need, it runs almost flawlessly, doesn't scan my registry and doesn't display ads. I'm happy

If anybody knows more than me and wants to make me unhappy, please do so

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

az: I know more than you Are you unhappy now?

Some links for ICQ (and combo) chat programs:
              www.everybuddy.com
              www.icq-4u.com

brb!
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Oooo, looks promising. It even says, in the proxy configuration, that it doesn't support proxy authentication yet. That implies that it will, and when it does, I'll be happy.

------------------
                Andrew
                Carpe Cerevisi
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Pace: I'll cry now until I'll finally fall to sleep, and tomorrow I want to see a reply from you telling me about how insecure my ICQ is, or I'll read your second link

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

AZ: If the only program you use is ICQ then you are in good shape. ICQ is my preferred chat program, but as I stated I have friends that use all of the other programs. I had to keep 3 programs open to stay in touch with all of them (which was a resource hog)since I couldn't convince them to switch to ICQ.

If you look at the Trillian message boards you will see all of the cool stuff that is coming out in the next version. File sharing is at the top of that list along with some other really great features that ICQ, MSN, and the other biggies don't even have. Once that happens I'm sure that it will be massively popular.

At the moment EveryBuddy doesn't run in Windows. That may be fine for all of you Anti-Gates guys, but I like things that I can just install and run. Also if you look, the "Latest News" category you will find that it hasn't been updated since December. Doesn't look like they are too interested in the program anymore.

[This message has been edited by Kindness! (edited 16 April 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                    X