Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffe38e38

Anyone38 know ow t45o cle38an a ke38yboard aft45e38r your
    t45e38cnician as spilt45 coffe38e38 on it45?
    All t45e38 be38st45,
    Dave38

Don't make me angry...

Thanks, it's a microsoft natural and no-one really likes it but I'll give cleaning it a go. I had to shut the machine down as it locked up (surprise, surprise) but typing that message during its last dying gasps was entertaining
    Dave
    Don't make me angry...

Comment

There's always the dishwashing machine.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

N38o. He45l38p w12oul77d be 78a33pprec89iated.

Seriously. If you have a cheap run-of-the-mill keyboard, discard it. Buy a new one. If it was expensive, like a Lgitech Cordless, try the following on your own risk:

0) Unplug the keyboard/Remove batteries.

1) Open it with a screwdriver. On an expensive keyboard there are usually screws at the bottom.

2) CAREFULLY remove the topside. You will find a contact protection map beyond that.

3) CAREFULLY remove the map and go clean it with water and soap.

4) Take a sponge and clean the lower part with the contacts with water and soap.

5) Let everything dry (use a hairdryer to speed things up. Alternatively wave it over your head, screaming like mad).

6) Put it together by putting the map back in, put the top part on it, close it.

7) Throw it away. Buy a new one.

Actually a friend of mine fixed a keyboard this way on a LAN party and the liquid was beer, not coffee. The culprit was himself, pretty drunk. It was the miracle of the evening.

[Edit: corrected some typos]

[This message has been edited by Six Of One (edited 12 April 2001).]

Comment

The clothes washer would be more fun
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I was being serious. I knew some IT guys for a law firm, and they would use the dishwasher to clean the keyboards, and dry them out over the weekend. They would lose one or two now and then, but the cost of spares was less than the cost of the labor to clean the keyboards another way, and the dishwasher was very effective.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Mine goes in the dishwasher, still kicking after 3 years of use now.

Rags

Comment

Dishwasher? Now, that's an idea. Wait a second...

Whew, excuse the delay. Needed to run to my neighbor to get a new keyboard. So much to beating a dead horse

Comment

Working...
                X