How do you disable the logo in Win Me&2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you disable the logo in Win Me&2k

Just installed Win ME and plan to do a dual boot with 2k later this month.

So how do you get that logo disabled ? in 98 there was a sys file in C:\ wich you could edit and add Logo=0.
    What file should be edited here and how ?

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited 11 April 2001).]

TweakUI for either OS should do it. Don't have the link right now, it should be at the MS site. It should be on the Win2K/ME CDs, I think.

Ahh, here we go: http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstati.../nttweakui.asp

Comment

Thanks LS, that should do the trick, only thing is that I can't find the setting.
      The help file points me to the system startup settings, but I don't see it.

I have Mouse, General, Explorer, IE, Add\Rem, Repair, Paranoia, Open, Desktop, My Computer, Control Panel, Logon and New settings.

Where should I look ?

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited 12 April 2001).]

Comment

I recall in Windows ME the procedure is the same as for Windows 98: Find the C:\MSDOS.SYS file (It could be hidden) and add Logo=0 under [Options].
        Under Win2000 it's much more difficult. You can try the hints under "Branding" at http://www.nikkie-luuc.demon.nl/ but I really don't recommend 'em, the gains are too small compared to the risks..
        I used to be the kind of guy who would install Windows 3 times a day until I got all the tweaks just right, but I'm getting too old for that

Comment

yep, its msdos.sys for ME, but you have to go to folder-options (i think thats what its called in english), it isnt enough if you just show all files, there is an extra check box that you have to uncheck, it says hid all secure and system files or something like that.

Comment

"Hide protected operating system files"

love you Topha

Edit: One more thing, how do I get rid of autoexec.bat,bak,vtx and config.sys,bak ? If I delete them ME just rebuilds them, one after each reboot.
            I disabled everything with the startup utility, so no recover utility enabled, is it something else ?

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited 12 April 2001).]

Comment

Hmm, they beat me to it

Anyway, doesn't ME no longer have DOS? The autoexec and config.sys files are from the old DOS days. What's in the files?

Comment

Andrei, it's in the Start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools->System Information->Tools->System Configuration Utility. Uncheck everything in the Environment tab.

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

i dont think me uses those files, they are always empty here, it boots pretty darn fast even with those files.
                  if you want some more tips, try www.tweak3d.net and look at the tweaks for win me (i think there are two, one for me alone, one for me and 98), they helped me quite a lot.

Comment

The site for all your troubles with whatever Windows is ofcourse Windows Trouble

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Windows Me ignores any other line in AUTOEXEC.BAT except for those starting with SET, the environment variables, which automatically get copied to their new place in the registry. It's there for legacy support.

(Even Windows 2000 does this migration of environment variables if it finds an AUTOEXEC.BAT file.)

The line loading the .COM file is silently ignored.

Comment

Ok, so they need to be there.
                        I disabled everything in the Environment tab though.

About the Recover utility, I deleted the _Recover folders after I disabled it, think Me will give me errors when and if I'll enable it again ?

Comment

Well, I guess you can keep them there. Since ME doesn't have DOS, why not try disabling the Vortex2's DOS support? You'll free up an IRQ as well.

Comment

You mean the "Vortex AU8830 Sound Blaster Pro Emulation" in device manager.
                            Takes up IRQ7, already have 3 and 4 free.
                            here's my IRQ list:

IRQ 0 System timer OK
                            IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard OK
                            IRQ 2 Programmable interrupt controller OK
                            IRQ 5 Vortex AU8830 Multifunction PCI Platform OK
                            IRQ 5 Vortex AU8830 PCI Audio OK
                            IRQ 5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
                            IRQ 6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller OK
                            IRQ 7 Vortex AU8830 Sound Blaster Pro Emulation OK
                            IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
                            IRQ 9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus OK
                            IRQ 10 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller OK
                            IRQ 10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
                            IRQ 11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English OK
                            IRQ 11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
                            IRQ 12 WDM Communication Device OK
                            IRQ 12 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering OK
                            IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
                            IRQ 14 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller OK
                            IRQ 14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK
                            IRQ 15 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller OK
                            IRQ 15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo) OK

think I should change something ?

[This message has been edited by Admiral (edited 13 April 2001).]

Comment

Andrei, if you're not using the SB simulator, you can disable it as well, from Windows Device Manager.
                              Looks like you don't have a printer (IRQ7 is usually the printer).

Your list looks perfectly alright. If it isn't giving you any problems, leave it be.

Jord.

Edit: I tried removing the autoexec.bat and config.sys and doing a reboot. They're gone for my ME. Just make sure you delete all entries of autoexec and config in the list, including the old, bak, dos and whatever else extensions they come up with. Clean out your ashtray... errrm, recycling box as well.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 13 April 2001).]
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X