Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I NEED HELP! Anyone have experience with Software QA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I NEED HELP! Anyone have experience with Software QA?

Hi all!

I am in need of REAL HELP here.

Yesterday, I was at an interview for a job at a BIG company that among other things produce software.

The job title is "Software Quality Engineer"

The primary task of someone in this job is (as I understand it) to plan and complete a QA process in the span of a product development cycle. This could take more than a year and involves testing at several levels.

The basic timeline is like other software products:

---Alpha-----Beta-----RC-----GM-> Production & shipping

Each stage is composed of several substages in which my job will be to plan and run the test that will evaluate the quality of the project sofar. Example: after several alpha releases the product should reach a stage that is fully functional, but with errors. It will go Beta at this time. Then several betas will follow to iron out all known bugs.

My problem is, that I need a better understanding of how to specify the tasks of each sub-phase.

What "mechanics" could be employed to test for bugs in software? How can I create a plan for testing this in a structured way?

I have only been schooled in project management on a basic level, but if I want to be able to do this job right (in case I get it), I will have to improve my proficiency in this area considerably. (Or I could be in REAL trouble).

If you know the answer to these questions or could help me find some litterature on the subject (Links on the net?) I will be a very happy man.

There must be at least a few of you guys out there, who have been in some way involved in Software QA.... HEEELP ME, PLEASE! :-)

Regards,

Jake
    Who is General Failiure and why is he reading my drive?
    ----------------------
    Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

A quick search on google found this: http://www.softwareqatest.com/ . Looks promising. Hope this is at least a little helpful

------------------
    Andrew
    Carpe Cerevisi
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Thanks Andrew!

That does look promising!

Regards,

Jake
      ----------------------
      Powercolor Radeon 9700np, Asus A7N8X mobo bios ver. 1007UBER, AthlonXP2800+@3200+ (200 Mhz fsb, 2.2 Ghz) on TT Silent Storm, 2*256Mb Kingston HyperX PC3500 DDR-RAM, 19" Samsung 959NF monitor, Pioneer A04 DVD-RW, Two WD800 80 GB HDD's, IBM Deskstar 40 GB

Comment

Damn MURCers are a bunch of know it alls

Comment

Hey, ever think of outsourcing some of that?

Comment

Maybe I'm stupid, but was that a question for me, Rags or agallag?

Or was it just a snappy comment to Rags?

Either way, please explain.

(hitting head on table to try and jump-start brain)

Jake
            ----------------------

Comment

Look at HJ's profile.
              chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thx Chuck!

I guess I'm just a bit slow on the uptake.

HJ, What do you mean by "outsourcing"?

(Can't find my English dictionary)

Regards,

Jake
                ----------------------

Comment

If I remember correctly

Outsourcing is the handling of tech problems for a company that would rather pay a flat fee to a body than to have to hire alot of people to handle tech when it has a widely fluxuating volume (Outsourcing firms handle a bunch of contracts at once and can afford the staff)

Its more efficient from a smaller business standpoint.

If I am wrong that is ok.. I am just a dumb Canadian EH!!!

------------------
                  Hang Low and Limber
                  AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                  AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                  Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                  Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

I think it means:
                    "How about hiring me to do it for you?"
                    chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Hey chuck...

Nice summarization... LOL

Charles

------------------
                      Hang Low and Limber
                      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Working...
                      X