Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best 3d rendering/animation prog for a newbie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best 3d rendering/animation prog for a newbie?

Howdy all, I wanted to start learning 3d rendering and animation and I was wondering what program would give me the best results. Thanks for all help, info you can give me.

Well,

The best FREE rendering app is of course Povray.It is an EXTREMELY powerful raytracing program(radiocity etc) but it has no GUI interface,so for a beginner is a good introduction in the basics of the 3D world.
    Of course there is some shareware GUI modelers for the Povray (or the MegaPovray)like the excelent Moray v3.3 for Windows that make things easier .

For commercial programs, Lightwave 6.5(£1500) is one of my favorites as it is very fast, has a easy-to-use interface and it's one the best 3D animation packages at any price(Very fast rendering , very good modeller etc).Cinema 4D is another good 3d package,and also the new 3D Studio MAX 4(i don't like at all 3d studio max series ...i hate their interface).

Don't forget to look also the very easy to use but VERY powerful NURBS modeller Rhinoceros v1.1&2.0 beta.
    Ofcourse there is also the other favorite of mine ,the king of 3D Maya 3 Unlimited, but again only if you find it as a illegal copy as its price is ~£20000 and it's not very easy to learn

------------------
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 03 April 2001).]
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'll give Lightwave a shot and see what I can do. Rhino is one of the ones I was trying to remember the name of. My fried used to use that before he left, just could not for the life of me remember the name. And hell, since Povray is free I will give that a shot too. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by Reverend Maynard (edited 03 April 2001).]

Comment

Working...
      X