No announcement yet.

I'm sick of G800/550 speculation so ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sick of G800/550 speculation so ...

funny stuff, but you should have posted it into the Soap Box Forum instead ...
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Yup.
    This has nothing to do with gaming.
    Relocated to The Soap Box
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

I don't think you will see them go back to an add in solution, like the m3D, because of the MB bus limitations. Even with our 2D/3D AGP cards it still seems that the bus is a limiting factor. That is why I think that most of the new cards released this year will have some sort of a programmable GPU. Once the developers start to utilize it then IMO the sky will be the limit, as for performance, and at that point speed will no longer be the issue and image quality will. And that is where the Matrox line will continue to excel.

Joel
      Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
      Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Hopefully Matrox manages to catch up on the speed issue at the same time as they continue their image quality reign! (The G400Max, though lacking some of the features, still bests GTS' in quality, but lacks the speed I want for many of the games I play).

If they don't catch up, at least to GTS levels, I'll stick to a G400Max in my working box, and continue using the nVidia stuff in the gaming rigs, because if the situation still stands like this:

Matrox 32bit quality > nVidia 32bit quality
        Matrox 16bit > nVidia 16bit quality
        nVidia 32bit quality > Matrox 16bit quality, and

nVidia 32bit performance > Matrox 16bit performance
        nVidia 32bit performance >= required for my games at my res
        Matrox 32bit performance < required for my games at my res

Anyhow, that's my decision making process for what gaming card I use, lol. It basically comes down to what looks best while still giving me adequate performance at the resolution and color depth I want to play at, in the games I want to play.

------------------
        Ace. I'm like the Invisible Man- I'm here, you just don't see me that often.

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 29 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 29 March 2001).]
        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600
        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I'm sick of G800/550 speculation so ...

How about I make up some of my own ?
          (thats a rhetorical question obv., im going to anyway)

1) Back in the days of yore Matrox released a Power VR1 add-in board, the M3D.
          2) Guillemot/Hercules and STM ink a deal to release a KyroII board (and develop future "stuff"), which previews show finally exploits the benefits of tile based renedering.
          3) A cryptic "Matrox havent given up on gamers" surfaces from CeBIT 2001.
          4) They finally get sick of trying to keep up with the behemoth(s) on the 3d front and drop a KryoII chip into a G4xx board, or make an add in card . Thereby producing an exceptional all around setup : Image quality, dualhead, dvd max and tile based rendering.
          (Oh god please!!!)

*Please note : this is pure navel-gazing/optimism on my part. Any reply that points out the "holes" in this swiss-cheese theory will not be replied to.*

------------------
          "You win again gravity!"
          "You win again gravity!"

Comment

Where do I sign up ?

It would be the perfect solution for a lot of users, no need to change that G400/450 or even a G200, just pop in the newest 3D add-on.

Maybe that's what the Fusion part is all about *hoping*
            "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Whoops! Ive been stuck in Gaming for so long I forgot there were other Forums.

Good to see a few other people think like I do. Doesn't bode well for the International IQ though.

------------------
              "You win again gravity!"
              "You win again gravity!"

Comment

maybe matrox will build the dual kyro2 .... maybe. that would be funny. with qdram.

anyway, i think they implement those silly g800 names only to get us weird.

Comment

Working...
                X