No announcement yet.

A Kyro II by Matrox? Pure speculation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Kyro II by Matrox? Pure speculation.

For those of us who remember Matrox before they had a real 3D gaming card, Matrox released the PowerVR based m3D card to compete with the likes of the voodoo1.

The PowerVR's next generation video chip for PCs is just around the corner in the form of the Kyro II. Is it too far fetched of an idea that Matrox might try that trick again by releasing a Kyro II based board? This is pure speculation. I don't have a lick of evidence to confirm, deny, or even point a finger in any particular direction. I just thought it would be interesting speculation.

If Matrox really does have a gaming card up thier sleeves, it's unlikely they'll adopt a PowerVR solution.

But it'd be cool it they did.
    P3 650@897 | Matrox G400 32mb SH @ 175/233 | 128mb PC133 | SB Live | winME

Comment

since they'll be releasing/announcing their next card by summer (at least they say so ) i doubt it would be a kyro II, IF it was a powerVR chip it would be the next one...

but i don't think a third party chip is likely going to happen again... matrox makes a good living on business sales, the gamers market isn't too big so not much would be gained and they'd severely damage their reputation...

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I hope it'll remain a speculation!!!

Comment

Why? Let´s assume Matrox has completly shifted towards 2d features, leaving the R&D for ultimate gaming chips.
          Kyro II is a fine budget chip, and it performs around 2x-3x faster than a G400Max, the fastest card matrox has available. Except for dual-head, it has everything that the G400 has: excelent 3d quality, EMBM (plus dot3, FSAA, S3TC...).

Matrox has the contacts, for sure. They sold PowerVR before. Yes, it sucked badly. I had one

It would be interesting, but I think it´s not going to happen...

Comment

i'd rather hope matrox will buy powerVR and use their tech to make a chip using matrox 2d & dh features and a mix of matrox and powerVR 3d features

AZ

Comment

I personaly wouldn't like that, but it is a cheap way to catch up with the competition...

Hope Matrox doesn't take that road...

Comment

I don't think they will be doing that sort of thing again. And who says that Matrox is only going to release one card this year??

Joel
                Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

They won't, be assured of that fact.
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

it was a joke goc

i hope they just develop something that won't make them smash the competition, but compete on an equal level (in terms of speed, price, and 3d features, while still maintaining the lead in 2d quality - i'd be willing to pay a little more for that)

AZ

Comment

Working...
                    X