Matrox hates us Hardcore Mystique 220+RR Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox hates us Hardcore Mystique 220+RR Users

Ya...I know..I feel like the middle child that parents forget about when the new baby comes along. I have a confession to make:

I am using a Matrox Mystique 220 with Rainbow Runner Studio addon.

(Yes, old school compared to you guys with the G400 AGP whatever...)

The reason I'm bringing this up is that Matrox has pretty much forgotten about us down here at the bottom. What has it been..almost a year and a half since the latest Mystique 220 drivers been out? Previously, I didn't care much that the driver was outdated. It worked fine for me and I even rigged it so that the Rainbow Runner Studio would work in Dual Monitor mode with my ATI Rage 128 AGP (something that Matrox insisted could not happen .. or "did not support") But now, I've upgraded to Windows 2000 and well, I'm using the generic drivers that came with Win2K. (The old drivers for Mystique 220 98 and NT didn't work) But now, I can't use my Rainbow Runner Studio card.

Pretty much, Matrox doesn't care about us down here.

So, lately, I've been seriously considering the unthinkable. I've been thinking about...(gasp) trading my Mystique 220+RRS in for a ATI All-in-Wonder under the ATI trade-in program. In effect, I'd be giving up my bundle for under $40, but at least over at ATI, they care about me. (At least that's what I think now..)

I've been hearing talks about how the Win2K drivers will come out this week for the G400..any inside news about the "Old School Cards?" Should I just dump it for something else...Pretty much now, it's just sitting there sucking up electricity...

What are your thoughts about this? Are their any other "Matrox Orphans" around? Am I the last person to be using the Mystique?

I'm still using the Mystique220/RR-S, too. However, I won't be changing my OS from Win98SE anytime soon, whether I go to a different analog capture card or not, since the main purpose of that machine is NLE. I don't know of anything that I would switch to for analog capture/playback at this time that would work on Win2k, and if it DID, then it'd probably be stuck with some poorly implemented Macrovision crap. The trouble with the way Macrovision is handled with some of these newer cards is that you can't even capture some of your OWN stuff!

Comment

Me too. I have a Mill2 + RRS with MSP 5.2 (Full) & i am more than happy. I wont be moving to anything just yet. The only time i will is when i eventually buy a DV cam but my trust Sony TR2000 is still plugging away.

If it aint broke why fix it.

Martin

Comment

Same boat but we can't bitch yet. There are no video editing drivers for win2000 for ANY matrox product. Yes we will see them first for the rt2000 and marvel first. Then if the lord shall shine his light, on the rrs.(Ya right) I don't have much confidence that we will see new drivers for the rrs even though the hardware is essentially the same as the G series & marvel.

------------------
        Damnit Jim I'm a film maker, not a systems tech!

Comment

Hang on a minute.

The Mystique220 and RR-S combination was on the shelves how long ago ? Like when Windows 2000 was no more than a glint in Bills spectacles ? You gonna complain that BeOS and Linux don't give you drivers for RR-S too ?

Get real here. Most folks change their whole PCs every 2 years - how are you expecting a hardware company to future proof against operating systems that don't even have defined boundaries ?

You mentioned AIW, how long has that been at market in it's current form ? Do all the older variants support Windows 2000 ? Have you done any research on what an AIW will do for you ?

My friend, either you want to be in the ratrace and spend, spend, spend, or you need to take Martins advice seriously. You have a great card, it works well with your O/S. Don't bury your roses with the bullshit.

Comment

Sorry to be the jerk here, but those things are antiques.It might be time to get a new video card. There has been some pretty interesting stuff happpening in the computer industry in the last couple of years, you should have seen it!
            P4 1.6A @ 2.24 ghz
            MSI 645 Ultra
            256 Samsung PC 2700 DDR
            Matrox Marvel G200
            etc...
            ect....

Comment

Is there any advantage in having a slightly newer capture and/or display card for anyone who does not play computer games? With all the problems regarding the macrovision implementation on the newer cards, I'm quite happy with my Mill2/RR-S combination.

Comment

Antiques! It's the same thing as a RRG. but plugs into a different card. Same chips. Now I don't think having all us RRS users upgrade to a RRG when they plug it in and they find out it is the exact same thing but uses different drivers! Now I don't think it is smart to spend the cost of a new graphics card and a new RR just so I can run new drivers, from a company that will stop making them for me as soon as their next product comes out.

Comment

Once bitten, twice shy... so goes the phrase. It took somewhere in the neighborhood of a year after first purchasing the Mystique220/RR-S before I could confidently do a project without having to do everything over more than once. It was due to the exceedingly slow issuance of various bits of software/drivers that finally made the now obsolete package actually work as advertised. It's a dinosaur in my machine, now, but the fact is that it works very well for analog video, it's predictable, it can be set up from scratch without any more problems, and it doesn't have any Macrovision 'protection'. Honestly, that's really the only reason I never swallowed the hook, the line, OR the sinker on Matrox's newer 'improved' consumer level cards. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. And, judging by the continued complaints on the board concerning their latest and greatest, nothing has changed at Matrox. They have continued to 'release' to unsuspecting beta buyers.

Now that I have some semblance of IEEE-1394/mini-DV functionality alongside my Mystique220/RR-S, however, it's only a matter of time before I finally take the cherished hardware out of my machine, box it all back into the original packaging, and humbly offer it to some poor, unsuspecting rubberneck newbie who has gotten it into his head that he might like to do some kind of video editing on his computer...

Chris, my esteemed moderator, you MUST remember the hours and hours of hard won technical information that came out of that original RR-S experience. Indeed, the message board, itself, would probably have never come to even exist had it not been for the problems that you and so many others had with the RR-S after it first came out. But that long evolution from new and unworkable to old and reliable was something that might never have happened, were it not for this forum.

Here, more than any other place on the web, the RR-S needs to be given its due. It has become the 'old standby', that one component in the NLE arsenal that ultimately came to be reliable, the 'tin lizzy' for the low end common man who, for a mere pittance, might actually begin to edit video on his desktop computer.

(sheesh! this is beginning to read like a eulogy!)

Well, I suppose that this trusty old Rainbow Runner has finally begun to see its match in the IEEE-1394...

Until something cheaper and better comes along, I've always said, my Mystique220/RR-S would never come out of my machine. But that day is just about here.

Hmmm. Perhaps when my RR-S finally does get removed and boxed up, maybe I'll donate it to the NLE museum.

Comment

Well said Jeff B.

------------------

Comment

Isn't it so easy to be misunderstood ?

I was not attacking the RR-S, it's the card that I started with and as a capture card is still one of the best analog workhorses around. Of course I remember those days. On the other hand, wasn't the RR-S an easier card to live with than the G-series (unless you needed NT4) ?

No, what I was trying to say was that when a card (any card) is put on the drawing board the designer can't be expected to design-in compatibility with a future operating system. In the case of the Rainbow Runner, this would mean planning for Win2K sometime back in 96, maybe 95. Haig gave the forum a whole lot of clues way back about the problems of integrating RR-S drivers with W98.

Comment

U da man, Chris!

I'll use ANY excuse to sit and type long posts, first thing in the morning!

Comment

Working...
                        X