Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The prettiest OpenGL demo I've seen yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The prettiest OpenGL demo I've seen yet.

http://www.glexcess.com

Go there NOW amd amaze your eyeballs. This may make Matrox cards puke at higher settings, but this is such a QUALITY demo that I had to pimp it here. I swear 3DMark 2001 is gonna be a letdown visually compared to this one.

Bart
    Bart

Try also the VulpineGLMark demo ( 55.6Mb) .
    And how about this Wonder of programing the Fr-08 (64Kb) that uses dX8.....
    Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">System Requirements:
      --------------------

- Pentium II or higher (Pentium III recommended)processor

- 64 MB RAM

- Any video card FULLY (when I say FULLY I mean no Matrox cards please...) supporting OpenGL acceleration

- Sound Blaster 16 or compatible audio card (SBLive! with 4 point speakers recommended)

- 40 MBytes of free hard disk space</font>

Now, I think it runs good enough on the G400 (for a demo coded ONLY on and for Nvidia cards), but it´s not flawless. I´m seeing missing polygons on several parts of the demo, specially on those sea scenes. That is with 5.51 Win2k. 32bit z makes no difference.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">nVidia owners: For best visual quality please select "Use
        -------------- block transfer" as "Buffer flipping mode"
        in your OpenGL Settings. This will prevent
        your screen from flickering on some scenes.</font>
        hehe, and he's talking about Matrox cards
        System 1:
        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
        Epox 8K7A
        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
        SBLIVE 5.1
        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
        3Com Hardware Modem
        Teac 20/10/40 burner
        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

the funny thing is that the demo will flicker with Matrox cards in Block Transfer mode, and if you switch to Page Flipping/Always On, it will not flicker any more

It's the fade-mode bug (or whatever the official name should be)

Comment

The Vulpine one isn't as nice (but still looks great), but it does allow you to benchmark, which is always a plus for the boasting nerdiness in us all. Now if only I could find an SMP-enabled one.

Bart
            Bart

Comment

yeah, looks awesome !!!

http://www.vulpine.de/ also just released a new OGL demo, check it out !

Cheers,
              Maggi
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
              Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
              be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
              4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
              2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
              OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
              4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
              Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
              Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
              LG BH10LS38
              LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Gee, the Vulpine demo runs like sh*t with the G400. Pretty, but something like 2 fps at highest settings

Comment

UPDATE: an FPS counter has been added to GLexcess for the benchmark horny.

Bart
                  Bart

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The Rock:
                    UPDATE: an FPS counter has been added to GLexcess for the benchmark horny.

Bart
                    </font>
                    Great !

not that it makes me horny though ...

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                    LG BH10LS38
                    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Just thought I'd let you know that S3 savage 4's can't even run the demo (but Savage 2000's and geforces run it perfectly with no missing polygons... )

------------------
                      Cheers,
                      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Unfortunatly, GLexcess was developed on Nvidia cards, but there's a blurb on the web site about Matrox cards:
                        <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I found a new driver at matrox homepage (v 6.50) and I just wanted to tell you it fixes almost every bug, the flare scene problems and the blending looks much better, thou there's still some problems w/ the scene w/ water and the heightmap scene. Still very slow on wireframe rendering, else all other scenes ran very well.</font>
                        And another Matrox related one:
                        <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I run an older driver set, but a new OGL ICD. Pain in the a** to set up. Ya gotta install PowerDesk(Matrox driver set) 6.10, save the G400icd.dll, uninstall (with matrox uninstall to make sure you get rid of it all) re-boot, set up default drivers 640x480x16colours, like in safe mode. Then you install powerdesk 5.52 and copy over your saved 6.10 ICD to your windows/system dir. 5.52 is a lot faster in D3D than 6.xx. But if only OGL is your concern, then just uninstall whatever driver you have now, (with matrox's uninstaller) and install latest powerdesk.</font>
                        Too bad this thing wouldn't work properly on Matrox cards, as its some seriously sweet eye candy. Almost makes me glad I gave up my G400 for a GF2.

Bart
                        Bart

Comment

Working...
                        X