Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eminem - Agree? Disagree? What is your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminem - Agree? Disagree? What is your opinion?

How do you feel about Eminem's lyrics?

Should people be able to say what ever they want? Is there a line for Censoship that should not be crossed? Do youthink Eminem promotes hate? Would you let your 12 year old listen to the music? what if he/she was 16, would you let him/her listen to it then?

Enquiring minds want to know....

Dave

------------------
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I've never really listened to his lyrics, but have heard a few songs. As an artist, he should be free to express whatever he wants, but I think his lyrics go too far, IMO.

Comment

>How do you feel about Eminem's lyrics?

Who? Let me guess some stupid rapper?

>Should people be able to say what ever they want?

Yes

>Is there a line for Censoship that should not be crossed?

No

>Do you think Eminem promotes hate?

No, censorship promotes Eminem

>Would you let your 12 year old listen to the music? what if he/she was 16, would you let him/her listen to it then?

I listened to the same sort of crap that age, didn't make me worse, in fact it could have made me better.

Comment

The problem with censorship is where do you draw the line. If you go to far you end up like little tin pot dictators who think they know how you should think and act.
        The thing you've got to remember is that no one is forcing you to listen to it and if you don't like it switch off. If you must protest stand outside his concerts and wave your placards but don't resort to violence.
        The University where I work at the Students Union have banned him from concerts and there own radio. They will also throw anyone out wearing his t-shirt. This last bit is a little bit extreme I think.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Helevitia:
          How do you feel about Eminem's lyrics?

Should people be able to say what ever they want? Is there a line for Censoship that should not be crossed? Do youthink Eminem promotes hate? Would you let your 12 year old listen to the music? what if he/she was 16, would you let him/her listen to it then?

Enquiring minds want to know....

Dave

</font>

First off, I should say that we can see all Eminem's video's and listen to his lyrics without any problem, without any censorship on the Dutch TMF video-music channel (whereas MTV Europe does do Censorship on his video's and lyrics... the BEEEP).

Isn't America the land where everyone has a right to say what he wants to say?
          And doesn't your censorboard censor out anything that is too much for the society? (I do wonder how much minutes were left of Hannibal, if the censorboard could've laid their hands on that movie... )

I don't think Eminem promotes hate. It's just that a lot people don't like his texts. Would I therefor let my 12 or 16 year old kid listen to his music? Yes, I would. If s/he doesn't listen to it at my place, s/he will go to a friend who is allowed to listen to it, by her/his parents. You can't stop the youths, you know?

Just go back in your own youth, Dave. Wasn't a certain pop-group or rock-group that you liked too much for your parents? But did they let you listen to it? Or did you go to friends, to listen to it?

Our general Dutch radio (3FM) plays lots of songs uncensored. As do many of the commercial stations. If you want to censor Eminem all over the world, you have to censor all other rappers as well. Wouldn't it be cross to let a non-white rap fvck fvck fvck, and censor the white rapper who does the same?

Luckily, we have our own Dutch version of Eminem's latest song. And what the public goes against here is a guinea-pig that drowned, after the main figure went into a lake with his bike, the guinea-pig and the tape. But that's just something you have to hear

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Didn't some poeple once say you Shouldn't listen to the Rolling Stones or Led Zepplin becuase if you play it backwards you get messages from satan?
            Oh and were these poeple the first rappers???
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

No, Bob Dylan had the first rap song

Rags

Comment

Well there are extremes everywhere. Some american people view Eminem as a hero, some (the minorities that he sings about) hate him.

And yes MTV does filter almost everything out, except for those rare nite shows. Viva II is much better and also not 100% mainstream music channel.

Strange land, the America. You are hard pressed to find a violent videogame, because they want to ban them altogether so that kids aren't inspired to go kill each other, yet the same kids have no problem getting a real gun, because there is no ban on guns. I guess guns are safer that videogames. Same with videos, apparently.
                Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the "free Market Place". If there is a market for it (and it doesn't hurt anyone or anything), let it exist.

The people out there protesting Eminem are just beating their heads against the wall. All they are doing is bringing MORE attention to him. If they had just left it alone he would have been gone in about 3 months. As it is they have just added to his popularity.

I have absolutely no use for that genre of music. I think it is a little too crude, and choose not to listen to it. If you want to listen to it and feel that he is the kind of guy that deserves your hard earned money, more power to you and more power to him.

I'll just sit here and listen to my
                  Zamfir: Master of the Pan Flute.

[This message has been edited by Kindness! (edited 23 February 2001).]

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Strange land, the America. You are hard pressed to find a violent videogame, because they want to ban them altogether so that kids aren't inspired to go kill each other, yet the same kids have no problem getting a real gun, because there is no ban on guns. I guess guns are safer that videogames. Same with videos, apparently.</font>
                    Impact you must be wonderful at touch typing, cause I can't figure out how you would otherwise be able do it with your head that far up your arse!
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Check

Comment

[list=1][*] I think it's kind of unfair to be slamming impact that hard. Not to start a side-conversation, but though his conclusion may be wrong in your opinion, it's not so out there given some heavily-publicized incidents.[*] Eminem? An interesting artist, but I'd even rather have lunch with Kim, who I think must be fascinating. I'd also like to hear some of his earlier stuff, as I suspect he's "mellowed" in some ways.[*] Censorship? No. People can't <u>do</u> whatever they want, but they ought to be able to <u>say</u> whatever they want. For one thing, I myself like knowing who and where my enemies/dangerous people are, and censorship would restrict my information in that regard. Also, creative change and growth can't occur if people can't speak and spread new ideas.[*] Does he spread hate? Not right now, afaik, but he might have in the past. My impression is that he was much angrier in the past. But angry people don't create hate, or "spread" it. They only increase it among people who already felt hate, and that's not Eminem's fault, or his problem.[*] Would I let my kids listen to him, or other "offensive" things? It might be hard, but I feel I would have to. My job (as I see it) is to understand my kids, and I can't do that if they don't have the freedom to be themselves, at whatever age. I would talk to them and ask what they like about whatever, and whether some of the "offensive" things bother them, and I would tell them what bothers me, or might bother others. I expect to talk kind of incessantly when I have kids.... but that seems like it's kinda my job too, to transmit the information about the world that I spent my entire life figuring out.[/list=a]

Just as a side-note, I think people take Eminem a bit too seriously. I think he thinks so too, which is what "Stan" and "The Way I Am" are about... when you have a character saying "But I didn't slit her throat, see, I'm not like you," you ought to realize that anyone who thinks that the man has a backyard full of corpses because he had a song about doing major evil to his wife is not tracking. And so fine, he doesn't like gay (men). Really finds them chilling. I may not like that, but who the hell is Eminem and who the hell cares what he thinks???. Unless he comes out with a baseball bat and starts bashing, he's just a guy who thinks what he thinks. If he even really thinks that and it's not just a media ploy to increase his name recognition.

It's kinda like the time that I heard on Entertainment Tonight that Tom Cruise was shooting blanks (was infertile, if you don't know that phrase). I felt bad for him, as it's gotta hurt not to be able to knock up a woman like Nicole, but I felt worse for him that it was on ET!!! I mean, my God, why do we have a need to know that about celebrities? Can't we just let them do their job, enjoy their work (or not) and leave it at that? Why are people's lives so barren that they need to take some artist's work and make it their psychological foundation???

-------------------------------
                        Holly

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Kindness typed: I'll just sit here and listen to my Zamfir: Master of the Pan Flute. </font>
                          Kindness, I just hope it isn't the same guy that is on the speakers at our local doctor and dentist. It always leaves me wondering what the original artists were

Although I did find the palm flute version of Dire Straits' "Private Investigations" very ingenious

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 23 February 2001).]
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden, that was a lame attempt at comedy. To be honest I've never even heard any of his "music". I was just looking for the polar opposite of Eminem. It was a toss up between Zamfir and Boxcar Willy.

My musical interest are more toward the really hard stuff. Bands most people have never heard of. Give me a heavy, steady guitar riff and a lightning fast double bass beat and I'm a happy dude.

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

Hmm...I think I have seen some messages about that - playing Led Zepplin's music backwards. I actually listened to some samples, and there are some strange lyrics if you play it backwards.

I don't think Eminem is promoting hate, but I don't like his music. If you don't like the music, then don't listen to it. I myself don't like rap either. As for my musical interest, remember that rock music thread from sometime last year? ...Ahh, here it is: http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000761.html

Comment

Working...
                              X