Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two MURC Favorites Dominate Academy Award Nominations

Two MURC Favorites Dominate Academy Award Nominations

The two most talked about films in the Soap Box, Gladiator and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, garnered a total of 22 Oscar nominations between them. The wildly inaccurate (but very entertaining) Gladiator led this year's nominated films with twelve, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actor. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon made history with ten nominations, the most for a non-English language film, including best picture, best director, best adapted screenplay, and best non-English language film.

Steven Soderberg became the first director since 1938 to win two best director nominations. If the Soderberg vote is split, this could bode well for MURC favorites Ang Lee and Ridley Scott.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

And does Gladiator really deserve 12 nominations?? I don´t friggin´ think so. Cool movie?? yes! Oscar material?? definately not.
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Definitely Oscar material. It's a great telling of an epic.

CTHD on the other hand, I didn't think was worth that many nominations. It's beautiful, with good music, but the plot is so-so, and isn't much more than a high-budget kung-fu movie that's light on the kung-fu.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I still don't get the "." post thing...
          <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wombat:
            Definitely Oscar material. It's a great telling of an epic.

CTHD on the other hand, I didn't think was worth that many nominations. It's beautiful, with good music, but the plot is so-so, and isn't much more than a high-budget kung-fu movie that's light on the kung-fu.
            </font>
            Just a shame they are telling the wrong epic And they also got the bonus section of the DVD wrong - they had a clip of a football disaster (Hillsborough) and claimed it to be violence in sport. This is completely wrong and is completely ignorant and insensitive to those who were affected by this tragedy.

I was planning to buy it, but now I am boycotting it until something is done about it (maybe they have already, but I haven't heard).
            <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cerb:
            I still don't get the "." post thing... </font>
            Look at the dates closely

Paul.
            Meet Jasmine.
            flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I think Oscars aren't worth a thing. They don't mean a thing anymore. Espesially when Kim Basinger got an oscar in the movie ... damn forgot the name, with the same actor as Gladiator.

It's all show lately, I see oscars given to the worse actors ever, just because they didn't get one in a long time, or any at all.
              Gladiator was great, especially oscar material just because it was a good show. That's wat oscars are all about. Not awards for best this and that. Just for the audience and the entertainment.
              In case it's a harware problem:
              PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
              Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

That movie would be L.A. Confidential, another awesome flick.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, I think Oscars suck ass... It's all about money and showbiz and noone really cares if the movie is really worth anything. Remember the English patient... That one sucked...
                  On the other hand, Gladiator is not a bad movie at all. I liked the camera

Comment

Working...
                  X