Matrox = slow on the draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox = slow on the draw

uh, lose your train of thought there Rags? LOL.

Seriously, It's not a case of "getting over" anything or taking a "DosFreak" stance ( whatever that is) with regard to the cards I choose to purchase. It's simply a case of me wondering why Matrox hasn't at least TRIED to speed up their product release cycle A LITTLE BIT. I'm not advocating for them to participate in the nvidia madness of releasing a card every three months, but is it too much to ask to maybe have a new model, say once a year or so? Maybe I should have entitled the thread topic........"My, doesn't Matrox take a long time between product releases !" So as not to offend anyone who is enamoured with their business model.

------------------
    AMD T-Bird 900 @ 1.1 GHz / K7 Pro / Matrox G400 Max
    AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHz @ 1.333 GHz / Abit KT7A / ATI Radeon 64MB DDR ViVo
    900 T-bird @ 1 GHz, K7 Pro, G400 Max, IBM 20.5GB, 20" Sony, 56x Afreey, SB Live X-gamer

1.33 T-Bird @ 1.53 GHz, Iwill KK266R, Radeon VIVO, 2 x 30GB WDs (RAID 0), 19"Sony, 12/10/32 Plextor, Toshiba 16x/48x dvdrom

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">uh, lose your train of thought there Rags? LOL. </font>
      ?

Rags

Comment

To answer the rest of your post, I didn't say that I was okay with their business model. Read again.

If you really don't know why there is a product delay at Matrox, then you really should search around the forums the reason has been discussed quite a few times.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 16 February 2001).]

Comment

Whatever Matrox's reason for such a lengthy delay between chip generations their silence does seriously impact on consumer confidence in them. We all know Matrox are the strong silent types and prefer to woo their bizniz customers rather than the general consumer but surely at some point the lack in consumer confidence is going to spread to their loyal bizniz punters. I know not what if anything Matrox have up their sleeve, I can only continue to be disappointed with each passing month

Comment

I'm not so sure that consumer confidence is really even a factor to people purchasing video cards. I mean look at ATI. They have continually put out crap after crap, and they are still selling the Radeon okay

As far as impacting business customers, I don't see any real correlation between the enthusiasts and the business market. It would be nice if there were, but the fact is they are pretty much isolated from one another. And besides, who knows what M is saying to their OEM and business clients?

But I agree, I am becoming more and more disappointed at the delay as well. Maybe they will release something spectacular that will surprise everyone.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 16 February 2001).]

Comment

Yes but ATi have a new card out and its getting good reviews and it performs by all accounts

Comment

That's my point Ant.

By this example, they could slack off for however long they like (I mean ATI has for the past decade ), then could release a card that is a world beater or real contender and they would be back in business. The idea that they will die because they missed a product cycle or two in the retail market is rather flawed IMO.

But it is still irritating, right?

Rags

Comment

I'm sure that all the people with Compaq's are very happy with their ATI cards.....if they even know what a video card is.

oh and Rags. Can I use your name as an insult too?
                  C:\DOS
                  C:\DOS\RUN
                  \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

It wasn't an insult It was an accurate description.

Now if I were to say that I am scared because our country's defense is in danger because you are part of it, well, that would be an insult

See the difference?

Rags

Comment

Actually DosFreak, I had a Compaq at work with an ATi in it. It was giving me eyestrain so when no one was looking I switched it out for a G200 that was in another Compaq. My eyes have been thanking me ever since.
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Matrox = slow on the draw

I think it's about time that Matrox woke up and smelled the coffee. While I've loved my G400 Max as much as anybody, I don't see how they can just sit idly by and watch ATI absolutely SMOKE their entire product line within the span of about 4 months, and not have even a "hard" rumour about any upcoming model that can truly compete. Are they really THAT enamoured with the business market share?

With the introduction of the Radeon VE w/ dual display capability, I just can't see the rationale for anyone paying the current price for a G400 Max, when they can buy a Radeon instead? I've used 3 of the Radeon models ( 32 DDR, AIW, and now a 64MB DDR ) and they are all superior to the G400 Max IMHO.

This is not meant as a put down of the "Max". I still have mine and it has been a loyal soldier to say the least. My bone of contention w/ Matrox is that they have seemingly missed a window of opportunity to compete in the 3D graphics arena as well as their usual loyal "biz" market.

While the question of when the G800 will be released is ever prevelant. It's my opinion that it is already out. the problem is, ATI is the company that released it.

Just my 2 cents, which I'm sure many will find is worth considerably less.

Bad S

------------------
                        AMD T-Bird 900 @ 1.1 GHz / K7 Pro / Matrox G400 Max AMD T-Bird 1.2 GHz @ 1.333 GHz / Abit KT7A / ATI Radeon 64MB DDR ViVo
                        900 T-bird @ 1 GHz, K7 Pro, G400 Max, IBM 20.5GB, 20" Sony, 56x Afreey, SB Live X-gamer

1.33 T-Bird @ 1.53 GHz, Iwill KK266R, Radeon VIVO, 2 x 30GB WDs (RAID 0), 19"Sony, 12/10/32 Plextor, Toshiba 16x/48x dvdrom

Comment

I don't get all of these bad feelings towards Matrox for not releasing a card, or leaking information on what they are doing. If you were a shareholder or partner, I could see being concerned. But as for an end user, you have choices in what equipment you are going to buy. If the Radeon is what you want, buy it. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head. Get over it and move on. Just because they don't release something the moment that you feel the need to upgrade doesn't give you full reign on kicking dirt at them. They haven't overhyped any upcoming products. They haven't even lead on as to what they are up to. If you have followed Matrox for any time, you would see that this is just the way they are. I guess I can understand frustration to Matrox "loyalists", but I say let it go. They have always done this. There is no news, nothing really has changed in this respect. The funny thing is that it didn't stop you or the many others who bought a G200/G400, from buying them. I suspect that with their next gen card we will see a whole new following once again. Well, maybe not if everyone takes the DosFreak stance on things and believe their video card is their denomination.

Rags

Comment

Relocated to The Soap Box forum.
                            Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                            X