Misrepresentation of fact!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misrepresentation of fact!

happened to notice this on the back of a Belkin ATA66 retail ide cable pack.

Notice the writing in bold : Using this cable with an Ultra-33 Drive can increase performance by up to 90% when compared with a standard IDE cable!
    I wonder how they can make such a "bold" statement with obvious misrepresentation of fact.

I'm guessing they meant Ultra66 and are just stupid.

Although one could argue that the crappy 40-pin cables won't allow anywhere near 33MB/sec. throughput so these WOULD help U33 drives.

Of course then we also are overlooking the fact that even the fastest Ultra100 drives nowadays only burst at 25MB/sec.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

exactly Jason. They proably mean with a 'regular IDE cable' one that is very bad quality, and suffers enormously from interference. They don't state what the chance is that you're using such a cable right now however!

Comment

Up to 90%? Hell I figured I could find a couple examples of where I have attained 1000% improvement in performance. Really.

Rags

Comment

Hey Gurm,
          I think you'd better check out IDE again:

http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/...sk/ds75gxp.htm

They quote 37MB (35.3 when you correct to a true MB) sustained, and I bench at 24MB/s under linux, and that's with the drivers running at UDMA33 (working on compiling new drivers for the 686B chip).
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

2xIBM

------------------
            Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

All extremists should be taken out and shot.
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Guess what happens if you conect a UDMA66 HDD to a UDMA33 mainboard through a UDMA66 cable?

Answer: Corupted data!

This happened to me once.

The Stupid Quantum HDD thought that it could transmit at UDMA66 and that did'nt my Mainboard like!
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'm not so sure that it was the HD's fault. The drivers can limit transmission speed, and in your case they seem to have failed.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                X