Explain this to me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain this to me...

Ok I smiled a little, but only because I think it's just bad translation, and therefore cute.

But what's this "All your base belong to us" thing. I saw the gif animation somewhere here, Stile had it on his site, now everybody talks and laughs about it. But I just don't get it. Do people laugh because it's probably bad translated, or does it have more I just missed?

I DO have humor, but I just missed this one. And I like to know.

I have a friend (dutch too) who saw it on a site, and said he found it extremely funny. Then I asked: "Why? Explain?"
    And he couldn't.. he immediatly dropped his smile and said:
    "euh....., well eeuh... because... I don't know.. ahw forget it".
    Now THAT was funny! )

Maybe it's because everybody thinks its funny, but nobody knows why?

Who dares to explain this to me?
    In case it's a harware problem:
    PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
    Win2K drivers: 5.52

do you have the URL for the GIF?

Comment

Dammit, can't find the gifanim anymore.
      But I think it wasn't especially the gif, but the use of that sentence... very strange
      Someone here used it too, so the answer will hopefully come to us soon!
      In case it's a harware problem:
      PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
      Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

http://www.somethingawful.com/forums...ML/009136.html

Don't know if this link still works but it is the one from [H]ard Forums where this got out of hand...LOL

They apparently had a field day with the translation.

Here's the Thread a [H]ard Forums
        http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=68088

Paul

[This message has been edited by ALBPM (edited 29 January 2001).]
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

FaRaN,

I'm glad you posted this. I figured I was the only one so un-hip as to not get it. And to correct you, as indicated in Paul's link, it was (is?) "All your base are belong to us" Hmmm......

And we won't ask why you're hanging out at Stile's site. Certainly a devoted MURCer would never go there to see if Amber is live on her cam!

John

[This message has been edited by Johnny Ray (edited 30 January 2001).]

Comment

Now what's with this "LIVE CAM" stuff????

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

LOL! That is the funniest shit I've read in a long time. I only made it through the first 30 pages though. Then I jumped to the end to see how many pages there are. 76!!! That has got to be some kind of record. And don't forget, All your base are belong to us!!!! lol

Dave
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Great thread.. this one's my favorite:

Comment

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!

The [H]thread is hillarious.
                  Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Is this the gif from SomethingAwful? But then what's the whole "seal/dog" clubbing thing about on H(ard)OCP??? I'm quite lost....

http://64.209.141.232/showthread.php?threadid=10820?

Comment

This is the explanation.

It's from an old game. The [H]thread, they just took the badly translated lines and built on them, creating some really funny pictures. The thread has 70+ pages... I only read the first twenty, then jumped 20->30->40 etc then read the last ones, and I can tell you it's hillarious.

"Look at the man, what is he gonna do to the cute little doggie?"
                      "That't not a doggie man, it's a baby seal!"

WHAT YOU SAY!!!

Comment

Now to stay on topic, could someone explain this to me...

What does FWIW (netspeak for For Whats It's Worth or so I am told) mean? How would you use that in a sentence or how to say that in other words?

[This message has been edited by impact (edited 01 February 2001).]

Comment

I guess that will have to do. I think I know what 'FWIW' means, I just don't know how to translate it.

Thanks anyways.

Comment

For What It's Worth.

Comment

I think I got it.

err, imagine a hypothetical situation, where your wife bought you and installed a brand new expensive nvidia card (yup, very hypothetical); you, matrox user come to the PC, turn it on, check the blurry image on the monitor and say "FWIW I don't think it's crisp enough"

does that make any sense?

Comment

Working...
                              X