As advertised...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As advertised...

I want to start a thread here - one about products that work as advertised.

I'm not talking about products that are worth buying. I'm talking about products that claim to be "all that", and really are.

I'll get started with a couple, and people can add to it.

I'm eventually gonna make a website about this stuff.

Oh, and please forgive me if I've already done this before. Humor a forgetful curmudgeon.

-----------------------

DynaMat - This is a nifty substance with rubbery goo on one side and shiny silver metal on the other side. It is supposed to reduce vibration and cut down noise. I decided to try it on my computer case (which as some of you recall was VERY loud). This stuff ROCKS. When I upgrade my car stereo I'm DEFINITELY lining the trunk with this stuff.

Norton Ghost - This program is AMAZING. I've put 2GB worth of system data on a single CD. 50% compression is nothing to sneeze at, especially when it can replicate 10 gigs in about 10 minutes!

BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine (tm)

(Yeah, I just had to slip that last one in...)

- Gurm

P.S. Oh, also Nyquil.

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

how about norton speed disk!

Comment

Gurm,

Dynamat work wonders inside noisy computer cases, too. It has saved many an overclockers ears in my area

Ghost - Wonderful fun and every tech's best friend.

Speed Disk - Good for defragging FAT32, but not that great for NTFS.

DisKeeper 6 - Works wonders on NTFS partitions. The only defragger I know that has a defrag on boot option so it can clean up your NT/2k pagefile, MFT and most system files.

Klipsch Promedia v. 2-400 - The best PC speakers ever made. They know it, they say it and everyone who has one believes it.

Jammrock

------------------
      Athlon 650
      256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
      40 GB storage from WD
      Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
      SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
      Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
      Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

ahh... talking about software that rocks:

my personal favourite is a combo:
        Nero Burning ROM, CDRWIN and CloneCD
        with those 3 you can burn absolutely everything (if you're CDROM/CDwriter is suported by all these programs), except for packet-writing, which I don't use anyway.

Razorlame (i.e. GUI for) LAME the best and one of the fastest MP3 encoder there is.

Internet (email, ICQ and browsing): Opera 5.0 + Webwasher while Opera is far from perfect, I recommend this program above all other solutions already. Once all the bugs are sorted out of this program, it will really rock the world

oh, and can I say the words 3Com, Adaptec and Plextor too?

Comment

Let's see...Products that work as advertised. Here is a list off the top of my head:

Plextor SCSI Burners (all of them), I have always got the speed as advertised, and they work great.

Sony floppy drives, the package says fast and quiet, and I agree.

Valentine One Radar Locator (detector), just like the advertising says, it's the most sensitive, and does tell you how many and where the radar is coming from.

The Eclipse Mod It worked like mr. Mike said it would

The Geo Metro. It does get awesome gas mileage, and it's easy to park

Snap On screwdrivers. They say they work better and last longer than other screwdrivers, and I have to agree.

Snap On butane soldering irons. These things work as advertised and kick ass.

When I think of more, I will post them

Rags

Comment

I second the Valentine One thought. I've been saved from easily a dozen tickets since I bought one.

Now, my wife asks me why I have gotten 2 tickets. But one was a cop pacing me with no lights on at midnight (no radar involved). And the other was a cop FAILING to nail me on radar, so he pulled me over and gave me a ticket for "obstructed view" (the radar detector itself). Grand total of $40, no license points.

- Gurm

------------------
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Hey Gurm, why not use the conceiled display kit? How cool is that?

Rags

Comment

Litestep the fast shell option for Windows
                Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

IBM disk drives

Lexus (though the new ones are ugly)

The Oracle database engine.
                  A moron once turned a server off that
                  was posting tax payments in a program I wrote.
                  The data came back up perfect. Not one thing
                  out of whack. Amazing!

Chuck
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Rags,

I have the concealed display unit. But in New Jersey the cops will nail you for so much as a hang-tag on your rear-view. Real ass-masters.

- Gurm

------------------

Comment

yes, I realize that, they are that way here too. But I just mount mine up next to the RVM, and then wire some telephone cord around to the dash and use my conceiled display down there. No case for the pricks then

Rags

Comment

Working...
                      X