X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is TRULY amazing!

I just found a program that is unbelievable! It is called
    Download Accelerator Plus v4.0.0.2

I was scanning through ZDNet and this was on the top ten. It caught my interest so I went ahead and downloaded it. It said that it would boost the download speeds of any connection by 300%! I thought "yeah, right!" I am on AT&T @Home cable so I already have pretty good rates, but I thought what the heck. I downloaded it, installed it, and went out to find a really big file. I went to TUCOWS and downloaded Netscape 6.0 (hey, it was the biggest one I could find). God as my witness I downloaded 24 meg in 59 seconds! Coulda knocked me over with a feather! This is amazing!!!!! I don't know what it would do for dial ups, but it is definately worth a shot! Give it a try and see what you think! (NO this is not a paid advertisement)

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stori...,,000ZGG,.html

Edit- Just did a little test. This time I downloaded an IE file that was 19.2 meg. Without the Download Accelerator running I did it in 3 min flat (not too shabby). With it running I downloaded the same file in 50 seconds! This rocks! I need a bigger hard drive. (your results may vary)

[This message has been edited by Kindness! (edited 20 January 2001).]

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Jetcar/Flashget is MUCH better in my opinion.
    C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Say what you will, I use to average 130 kbps on the BEST day. I just went out and SEARCHED for a big download to really try this thing out. I found a "NoEscape" game demo that is 100.2 meg and got it in 3 min 22 seconds (thats 1 meg every 2 seconds)!

I don't usually rave about programs, but this one IMO is worth mentioning. OH, did I mention it was FREE???

Comment

Kindness, I would bitch to @home if I was only getting 130k on average. Lately I've been sustaining 600k+ downloads.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

btw-I clicked the link and this is something some of you might be interested in:

"Note: This free software contains advertising technology that will occasionally use your Internet connection to receive and display ads."

That pretty much killed it for me.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

H: I know that we don't get the speeds that a lot of other cable users get. I don't understand why some people get 600 plus and I could only get 130. Let's not even talk about UPLOAD speeds! It takes me a few seconds to download a song, but it takes a week to send it to a buddy. We got capped at 128 up for some reason. Oh well.

As for the advertising thing:
            It's just a little banner at the top of the control panel that opens when you download something. It doesn't pop open windows or take control of your system. The box that opens is similar to the one that opens when you usually download something. It has the size of the file, speed of transfer, amount remaining, ect, and it ads a little banner across the top. It is only there while you download (which doesn't take long). I was so amazed by the speed of the download I never even noticed it. Besides, if they want to put a banner on their program while I get quadruple the download speed, I'm not going to complain. You should check it out! If you are already getting 600 it would REALLY rock!

This is a screenie of the program. This isn't what opens when you download a file, but it is similar. The one that opens automatically when you download a file shows a lot more info and is about half this size (banner is smaller too). BTW, if you want to, you can make it your default download manager (which I did) or it can give you the option of downloading it with the DAP (the fast way), or the IE default way (the slow way).

Comment

I have been using this program for over a year and I think it "rocks"! It won a d/load prog test at www.tweak3d.net last year!
              A month ago when I was d/loading the new live ware for my sb live I only got ~2.5kb/s whith IE but when I tried it whith DAP I got ~35Kb/s (256Kb ADSL line)

------------------
              Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

All extremists should be taken out and shot.
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Two thoughts:

1. Any program with Aureate ad technology is from Satan, and will never grace my hard drive. Sorry.

2. Do any of these programs actually increase your download speed past the native theoretical max. of your connection? For example, @Home is theoretically capped at around 3.5Mbps. Your speeds don't seem to have gotten past that, just gotten TO that. My brother ALWAYS gets between 3 and 4 Megabits, so this wouldn't help him.

Another example - my 640k DSL connection is always pegged out at 640k (between 65 and 70 KB/s downloading). Would this program somehow mystically enable me to get 100KB/s, making my connection more like a 1Mbit DSL?

- Gurm the skeptic

P.S. I fully admit that for people with substandard connections this is indeed a great program. No arguments there. But those of us with an already optimized connection?

------------------
                Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Yes, it pushes your connection harder. It takes a file and breaks it up into pieces, then it downloads all of the pieces at the same time. I am downloading way faster than I should be able to with my connection. I am averaging over 500-700 kbps from the good sites now. I am getting almost 1 meg per second at times(don't quite know how that works).

I kinda feel like I am looking at a beutifull sunset, and you are standing there with your eyes closed (refusing to open them) as I try to describe it. JUST TRY IT! Nobody is going to come kick your door down and hold ads in front of your face while you use the program. It is a little banner that sits on the control panel. It isn't imbedded into your IE browser or floating on your desktop. It is there while you download something and that's it.
                  I have already introduced a few friends to it and they all agree that the little banner is a SMALL price to pay for the benifit that you get from the program. Besides that, if you want to actually PAY for the program you can get the key to turn off the banners all together (or someone will come out with a key-generator for it).

Comment

Under the connection Tab in the options you can set it to super acceleration speed which multiplies the download speed with 7, not "only" four. I only have DSL and im not getting above 100k but it is still a useful program, been using it for years now (although it did close to nothing with isdn except giving you the resume possibility)

Comment

It espesialy helps on sites like (what was it called) Tranze demo(?)! A demo site thet was posted about 2 weeks ago on this forum! The max d/load speed per file I was able to get was 36Kb/s (If I d/loaded multible files at a time(4) I would still get over a 100Kb/s but with DAP I got 130Kb/s´!
                      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I would jump for joy if I got 130KB/sec. My DSL line maxes out at 125KB/sec (both ways though ). If you already are at the theoritical maximum for your connection, DAP does squat. AFAIK, this is how it works: It assumes you have, say, x amount of bandwidth. But the file you are downloading is only going at x - 100 bandwidth. So then it will open another connection to the server so that it uses x bandwidth. But, if your connection is already going at x bandwidth, there will be no improvement. And, since it opens multiple connections to the server, it takes up more resources and tends to piss of the admin.

Comment

Ahh...

Ok, a couple points:

1. I don't care if the ad technology "seems" innocuous. Have you ever been to GRC? (Gibson Research Co.) That ad software embeds itself into your system and has the capability to send ALL your personal information to the manufacturer. It's EVIL EVIL EVIL.

1a. You can probably BUY a version of the software without the ads. Most ad-equipped programs work this way.

2. I already use GoZilla, and I manage my own downloads. Under LeechFTP I peg the servers all the time anyway. This program does NOTHING for me.

And Liquid Snake has a really good point - don't try to use this program when downloading from a private server. You may find yourself banned for life!

- Gurm

------------------
                          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Yep. Same reason I don't use those "web accelerators." Unfair for the other users, it steals available resources from others. If the server is too slow, I'll download from somewhere else.

Comment

Hey, if it's out there I want it. If I CAN download at 700 kbps I want to download at 700 Kbps. I just thought the program was cool, I didn't know that this would turn into a moral thing. Who cares if others can't download as fast when I am sucking up my files. I'll be out of there in 5 minutes (tops) anyway.

I don't really know what the top speed for @Home is supposed to be, but I have never been much over 200 kbps (not sustained, just bursts). Now I am getting 700 kbps. So it is probably true that if you are using ALL of your bandwidth this wouldn't help (I thought I WAS using all of my bandwidth).

If the ad thing on the program really is some vast right wing conspiracy to peek in on my system, so be it. All they will see is a bunch of games, lots of forwarded crap e-mail, tons of music, and a guy downloading stuff really, REALLY fast. I personally don't buy into the notion that some geek in his basement in Idaho came up with a banner ad that can take over my life. If they get by a firewall and Norton they are trying way too hard to steal my vast collection of 80's music. All they would have to do is e-mail me and I would send it to them (although it would take forever SINCE AT&T CAPPED OUR UPLOADS!)

Basically save the conspiracy theories, and don't use the program. It makes no difference to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X