Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No cure for cold ?

I've come down with a cold, and I hate it

Anyone got any good (or amusing) suggestions for getting rid of it ?
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Apparently the only active anti-viral ingredient in cold/flu remedies is alcohol...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Mega doses of vitamin C seems to shorten the usual time period of the virus infection.
      2-3 grams/day usual recommended dose!

Comment

Vodka and juice it is then

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Add some honey to the cocktail.
          When laid down with cold I usually get 10oz/day (well, with hot tea not vodka) and the flu disappears much sooner.

PS Is it really cold in the state of Denmark?

------------------
          Merely this, and nothing more
          Computer Revolution makes it possible to substitute educated slaves for ignorant ones. (V.I.Arnold)

Comment

No where near as cold as in Russia, we've got around 0 degrees C at the moment and still no snow

Might try hot tea and rum though, heard that should work as well

Comment

Take it as you will, but I find that some homeopathic (as opposed to alapathic) remedies do work. If you can find some Echinecea or some Coloidal Silver you might want to give them a try. Chances are there is a natural foods or remedies store somewhere near you.

Edit: Forgot to add some more common sense things. I always drink lots of water when I get a cold. Avoid drink pop/soda/coke (whatever you want to call it), syrup based carbonated beverages, particularly those with caffeine in them. Also avoid coffee (that may be hard for some people). The last thing you want is to become dehydrated.

[This message has been edited by HedsSpaz (edited 18 January 2001).]
              Primary System:
              MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
              120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
              Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
              Seccondary System:
              Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
              3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
              Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
              Tertiary system
              Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
              Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

Orange Juice, or other natural vitamin C liquids.

NyQuil before you go to bed.

And lots of lotion facial tissues.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Getting laid ... just don't tongue snog too much when you feel the hard-bit-saliva coming up
                  Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jammock, I'd love to get my hands on some Niquil, unfortunately isn't not available in Denmark.

Anyone ever heard Denis Leary taking about niQuil ? Damn, that's funny

'Are you drunk ?'
                    'No, I have a cold. Same cold I've had for 3 years, I just can't seem to shake it. I'm high as a kite and my teeth are green'

[This message has been edited by CHHAS (edited 18 January 2001).]

Comment

The one thing that always works well for me is V8. Yes, the tomato/vegetable juice. Always speeds things along, and I feel better after drinking some. It also seems to taste better when I am ill.

Rags

Comment

n,y,BIG F***IN' Q.

Anyway. I can't really see all of these alcohol ideas helping much. I mean, there are few things that dehydrate me more, and that's what really makes my colds suck.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Still, this hot tea with rum is quite tasty, yumm

I might feel even worse tomorrow, but maybe the hangover will overshadow the cold

Comment

IMHO, most of the suggestions mentioned here help to alleviate the symptoms of common cold, as there is no medicinal cure for it!
                            As it is said- If you treat a cold, it will go away in one week, if you don't treat it, then it will go away in 7 days!!
                            Cheers and get well soon Chhas
                            Ovi

Comment

Working...
                            X