• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love English

Please fill this out for me:
    I have a matrix.
    I have 2 ??????.

My best guess would be matrises, or matricies (as with index -> indicies). Matrixes would be too easy..?

_
    B

Ok, thanks for replies..

I just happened to hear that it's 'matrices'..

_
    B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 31 January 2000).]

Comment

Matrixi?

cjolley

I didn't want you to feel you were being ignored.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Yes, yes, theoretically that is indices and matrices and the lot, but these days also what used to be the uncivilised forms (indexes and matrixes) are also considered grammatically correct.

At least before the Americans wake up...

M.
        year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

No no, just one spelling:

Matrix...Matrices
          Nemesis...Nemeses

It's from LATIN.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I don't tink that my english will be helpfull.
            My concern is with growth. You must grow to become one, to become whole, to become sane. I am not going to force sanity upon you. Rather, I am going to bring out your insanity. When it is pulled out completely, throw into the wind, sanity will happen to you, you will grow. You will be transformated. That is the meaning of meditation

Osho
            --------------
            I will try to use a dictionary when I can't
            (Corrected by Robert&Collins dictionary)
            Credit Card numbers Visa expiration date 2005 N:5125 1548 6548 please dont steel

Comment

What ever do you mean space7! You got the best learned english i knows. hehehe

Comment

Space is a poet: the Bard of MURC.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

One other thing, is can you use both 'indices' and 'indicies'? (and 'matrices' & 'matricies')
                  Are there 2 'right' ways to spell them? Like colour and color, although ppl from the old country don't seem to use the latter

_
                  B

[This message has been edited by Buuri (edited 31 January 2000).]

Comment

Yeah Americans tend to fsck up proper spelling (color for colour, center for centre, maneuver for manoeuvre etc)
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

I've always wondered about the American tendency to "anglicize" (for lack of a better work) the spelling of words rooted in French and a British tendency to anglicize the pronunication of certain French-rooted words (i.e., fillet).

I suspect we do what we do out of sheer expediency. I suspect British motives are more complex and rooted in history and an odd dynamic between the two Entente Cordiale partners.

Paul
                      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Ok, its **** up, not fsck up. Only the hardcore linux geeks over at /. say fsck up.
                        Asus K7V
                        Athlon 700
                        128mb PC133 HSDRAM
                        Matrox Millennium g400max
                        Adaptec 2940U2W
                        IBM 9gb U2W
                        Plextor 8/20 cdr
                        Diamond MX300
                        3com 905b-tx

Comment

Interesting point, Paul. Such weirdness..
                          Gurm is right, by the way.. matrices is correct for some odd reason.

For those of you who actually want to learn English (this might not mean you, space ), you'll probably have to read a lot to do it.. it's just too idiosyncratic to try and learn rules..

------------------
                          Kind Regards,

KvH

Comment

Rools? wot rools, no1 plays by da rools ne more m8!
                            Look, I know you think the world of me, that's understandable, you're only human, but it's not nice to call somebody "Vain"!

Comment

Agent31,

Come on now, That's not fair, there's no way that others are going to understand Ozzie as good as u an me.

(And no, i don't mean the ostrich)...
                              ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X