BitBoys Ride again..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BitBoys Ride again..

The biggest problem with Glaze 3D was "a lack of forethought," Long tells <A HREF="http://www.gamers.com/news/499791/">Gamers.com</A>. Other problems included a lack of geometry engines and DirectX 8 support. "It could have shipped by now, but it would not have been a home run."

Bitboys' primary focus now is on its "Xtreme Bandwidth Architecture." Few details are known about it, and Bitboys is trying to prove it has learned from the past by not talking. "We've just shut down the PR machine. We're not talking to anyone," Long says, but did add that the chip based on XBA is close to silicon [i.e., production]. "Once that happens, we'll start talking."
    We're not talking to anyone, right. Glad to see John Carmack back them up that way too.

hmm... let's assume that John Carmack did make a comment on Slashdot once that Matrox would have found a solution to the whole memory bandwidth limitation (although I can't find the comment anywhere, but several people have said they've seen the comment on Slashdot, long before this article was written).

With this in mind, read the following:

"What separates an XBA-enabled chip from those on the market today? "[With current chips], gamers have to make constant compromises, [such as] lower resolutions and lower texture detail," Long says. An XBA-enabled chip will let players run their games with at a high resolution with at least 75-100 frames per second, he adds. "[id Software's John] Carmack has seen it. id is behind [XBA]."
    UPDATE: "id's Carmack contacted us to inform us he has never seen any Bitboys demo, and he does not endorse the chip maker: "I have never had any contact with Bitboys. I have never seen chip specs or demos.
    I did do a bit of work with the original unreleased TriTech chip many years ago, which had (I think) Bitboys heritage, but I don't know a thing about Glaze 3D."
    Could this be the answer that Matrox _did_ license XBA from BitBoys, and that this is the thing both John Carmack and the person interviewed on Gamers.com were talking about?

Comment

Anything is possible, but I think that is cutting it pretty thin.

I have my doubts about XBA, aka embedded frame buffers, if it were really feasible economically and yield wise today then everybody would be doing it. Matrox doesn't come across to me as a company that likes to take large risks, far out technology leaps of faith seem out of character.

Comment

God help us Matrox fans if Matrox has paid any money to BitBoys.
        The G800 could come out in 2010, if ever!

chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Wait...wait...hold on...oh! Nope, wasn't surprised.

Jammrock

------------------
          Athlon 650
          256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
          40 GB storage from WD
          Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
          SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
          Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
          Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

All right. Who was it that bet me that THIS time BitBoys would come through? Someone from Finland, as I recall. You owe me some money, pal!

- Gurm

------------------
            Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I think they run out bullshit for the vapourware. These guys should be politicans.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
              X