Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone here superstitious of a lunar eclipse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone here superstitious of a lunar eclipse?

I'm only asking because a total eclipse of the Moon will take place on 9 January and that will be seen in Europe, most of Africa, and all of Asia.

what's a lunar eclips? when the earth is exactly between the sun and the moon? doesn't that happen once a month already?

sorry for being ignorant

Comment

Find your answer here dZeus:

http://encarta.msn.com/find/Concise....2&ti=761568140

------------------
      Andrew
      Carpe Cerevisi
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Specifically:

If the earth's orbit, or the ecliptic, were in the same plane as the moon's orbit, two total eclipses would occur during each lunar month, a lunar eclipse at the time of each full moon, and a solar eclipse at the time of each new moon. The two orbits, however, are inclined, and, as a result, eclipses occur only when the moon or the sun is within a few degrees of the two points, called the nodes, where the orbits intersect.
        ------------------
        Andrew
        Carpe Cerevisi
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

so a lunar eclips is a full moon that looks like a new moon (i.e. it's full moon, but you can't see any reflected light from it, because the earth is blocking it's way)?

Comment

Yup

------------------
            Andrew
            Carpe Cerevisi

Comment

ayoub:

Yes, I'm extremely suspicious about a lunar eclipse. Especially this one, as it is the warning herald for a much more important event... the great planetary alignment.

There will be massive earth changes on that day, when all 5 planets line up in a row and...

Oh, wait. There are 10 planets. Sheesh! Silly me! And they won't really line up. D'Oh! And it happened last year already! Oh crap!

Honestly though, I think any eclipse is a good excuse to start a shooting spree. Where do you live again?

- Gurm

P.S. Yes, TEN planets. Do the math, folks. You know that asteroid belt? Yeah, used to be a planet. That must've been an ugly scene a few epochs ago, huh?

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by Gurm (edited 03 January 2001).]
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Hmmm, "used to be a planet"? That implies that it's no longer a planet? So, uh, why would you still count it? I used to be a child, so should I still get child rates at the movies? Cool...

------------------
                Andrew
                Carpe Cerevisi

Comment

For the purposes of the so-called "Earth Changes" and "Planetary Alignment" which are supposed to be caused by the gravitational pull of the planets all lining up.

Although the asteroid belt hasn't been a planet for millions of years, it retains the mass of a planet and the gravitational pull of a planet, albeit not a single-point pull.

That's all.

- Gurm

P.S. My suppositions are based on certain laws of planetary mass which state how many planets there should be and what distances they should maintain from the star.

------------------
                  Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by Gurm (edited 03 January 2001).]
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                  I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                  I would still get screwed

Comment

quoted from Gurm : "Honestly though, I think any eclipse is a good excuse to start a shooting spree. Where do you live again?"
                    I'm really Guru in disguise & live in Borgå,Finland. you'll recognise me by my rotating tie rack with a light which I got for christmas!!
                    just kidding & no offence meant Guru

Comment

thought I'd bump this up as tonight, the moon should go red with the eclipse. for those in UK, it should start about 18-40 & end around 22-00.

Comment

Looks like it's going to be clear from the Midlands upward so we should get a good view.

Comment

Are you afraid of Red White and Blue

Ahum, no, I'm not afraid of the crushing effect of the allignment of 5 to 10 planets. And I'll be watching the start of the eclipse from my car tonight, as I'll still be underway from work by then

Jord.
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

dZues look here... http://science.nasa.gov/
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Greebe...

quote from article:
                              A Total Eclipse of the Sun -- on the Moon!
                              hmm... anyone care for a second total solar eclipse? I'll arrange the trips to the moon

Comment

Working...
                              X