Cleaned My Keyboard with Vodka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned My Keyboard with Vodka

I spilled half a shot of Absolut vodka on my desk and wiped it up with a paper towel. I noticed my Microsoft Unnatural Keyboard was getting a little funky, so I wiped it with the vodka moistened towel.

You know, it worked fairly well. The areas I wiped are clean and it didn't leave the sticky residue Windex does.

I'm not recommending anyone try this, but if you do, I'd recommend a top shelf brand like Absolut. I prefer drinking Stoli straight. However, Absolut is not bad straight up, is very good in mixed drinks, and appears to work well as a cleaner.

It should be noted that this is *not* a cost effective solution.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Maybe not cost effective but safer; now there is no danger of confusing the cleaner from the libation.

What about the stuff in the spun aluminum bottles, Danka was it? Can remember drinking that straight many years ago.
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

paulcs, hope you weren't tempted to lick it dry after cleaning!

Comment

Do NOT smoke while wiping with Absolute, or your Unnatural keyboard could end up being a cremated keyboard as well

Or is that flambeyed?

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Originally posted by RusCoder:

It's more affordable here, too ($2 a bottle).

Do you take mail orders? 0.5l in Finland ~14$

------------------
          Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

All extremists should be taken out and shot.
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

2 Guru:

Sorry, C.I.F. only.
            Computer Revolution makes it possible to substitute educated slaves for ignorant ones. (V.I.Arnold)

Comment

I will try Stolichnaya tonight.

Paul
              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

You guys should try "Iceberg" vodka; from Newfoundland Canada..made from the water of real icebergs...very very nice...recently rated number 2 in the world..great price too

------------------
                "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker. And every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger. "

ABit BE6 II UDMA 66 w/ PentiumIII 500mhz
                Matrox G400 DH 32 meg MAX
                Maxtor 13gig UDMA66 7200 Seagate 9gig UDMA33 7200
                SBlaster Live Mp3+ (with gold connectors and robot voice
                Aureal Vortex SuperQuad2500
                19" PF790 Viewsonic (superb flat screen)
                19" Samsung 950p (amazing quality for the price)
                Panasonic 7585 CD RW 32x8x4
                Pioneer DVD 114 10x40x
                USR V90 ISA everything modem
                3COM ADSL HOME CONNECT WarpMODEM
                One big case fan and standard retail CPU/HS cooling
                MicroSofty Optical IntelliMouse Explorer (sheesh, who would have thought a mouse could make such a difference)
                ACK 580 crdless k/b

Comment

Hm... i had nasty expirence cleaning Sun keyboard with alcohol.
                  I even used special one, for cleaning...
                  Problem was that I used too much, and it got inside, and didn't evaporate, so I had to wait for some time (2-3 days) for all buttons to start working again...
                  Right now I use some spray I got from Office Depot (entitled Endust). It's pretty cool for keyboard and monitor... it's antistatic, so people who get static electricity walking on our carpets and try to touch my precious monitor surface get a nice shock Oh, and I use special tissues too.

[This message has been edited by Arsa (edited 29 December 2000).]
                  Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

I've tried "cleaning" computer equipment with various flavours of alchohol over the years, I don't recommend rum or sherry, very sticky.

Comment

Arsa, you should spray that on the carpet so nobody looses equipment! (or do what I do and mix up a weak solution of laundry detergent and water... it's about the same effectivness!)

Add Schnappes and Yukon Jack to the non compatability list!
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It's been proven many times that Stolichnaya is an unmatched cleaner for keyboards, monitors, and Gx00 videocards.
                        My Cherry water-proof keyboard personally prefers it to Absolut.

It's more affordable here, too ($2 a bottle).

------------------
                        Merely this, and nothing more
                        Computer Revolution makes it possible to substitute educated slaves for ignorant ones. (V.I.Arnold)

Comment

Working...
                        X