X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The home becomes the network

http://www.planetanalog.com//story/OEG20000728S0019

Comments please!

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

While most of us on this little forum group may be able to apprecitate the uses and conveniences of this stuff, the big thing is something caled "future shock"....a well known text that most of you should be able to find....it defines the idea that most humans can't deal with a tech level too far above that which they already inhabit. Hence the much defamed idea of planned obsolescence....if people could handle it, it wouldn't be planned to be obsolete so darn fast....most of the theory for the chips we use now was created in the late 1800's...it's just the manufacturing techniques that we have been slow on, and that is for good reason....Imagine some poor sap in the 1910's that ran accross a dvd player and the display devices associated and required by it...pure culture shock.
    Just imagine the rest that we aren't ready for yet.

Comment

I just moved into our new home November 30th. While the house was being built, I ran Cat 5 (for phone and LAN) and RG6 Video to every room except bath. Most rooms have outlets on three walls using the Leviton Modular receptacles with phone, video and LAN outlets.

While any type of "wireless" would have been easier and less expensive, don't they only run at up to 10 Mbits/second presently? Correct me if I am wrong but I have been out of touch with any technology news for over six months.

All wiring converges at one box in basement where LAN hub will be installed. Alot of work but I can connect anything just about anywhere in house.

a little work to do yet though....

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 28 December 2000).]
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

For most home users the 10 Mbits/second would be OK for printer sharing etc...

ScompRacer, has the right idea though. To pre-wire the house so you can have the 100 Mbits/second for gaming and more bandwidth intense functions. You have the RG6 for video as well. Damn, you have the basis for a home Lan/Security system all in one.

Nice!!!

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

What about security on a wireless RF LAN? Wouldn't it be pretty easy for someone to pull-up outside your house, scan for the frequency and then access your network? Assuming, of course, they knew you had an RF network, and they also had the equipment.

Also, what about interference? That'd kinda suck during a LAN game.

amish
          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Working...
          X