Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday DVD's, anime and movies.

Here's my list of things to watch over the holiday if you got the time:

Princess Mononoke - If you watch this and can stand subtitles, watch it in Japanese with the literal translations as subtitles. The DVD transfer is flawless, and the movie is great. This is another of the "animated movies". It's not a cartoon, it's not show, it's a movie that is animated.

Titan A.E. - Awesome space/sci-fi animated movie. Cool sound track, beautiful animation and well done story.

Cowboy Bebop - If you haven't seen this anime series yet, shame on you. Go get it right now!

Chicken Run - Closing out the 'animated' portion, this film is funny! It's "The great Escape" done with claymation chickens and it's a riot. If you haven't seen The Great Escape you may want to pick that up, too. Also a very good movie.

Unbreakable - If you liked The Sixth Sense watch this. Just pay very close attention to the movie. It has some slow parts, but if you keep up with it you'll like it.

Dungeons and Dragons - If you like ultra campy action movies, watch it. Otherwise stay away.

Gladiator - If you haven't seen this yet, bang your head on the nearest hard surface until you knock some sense into yourself. The DVD is wonderfully done and the movie is superb.

X-men - Probably the best sci-fi movie this year. Even people who don't care for the comics have liked this one.

Gone in 60 Seconds - "What do you think is more thrilling, sex or stealing cars?" Need I say more?

There's more, but I don't feel like typing anymore. I'll post my thoughts on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon once I see it tonight. Fell free to post more if you wish.

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650
    256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
    40 GB storage from WD
    Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
    SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
    Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I bought Princess Mononoke a couple of days ago. Such a great thing from animation's 800 pound gorilla.

Miramax did a fine job. I chose to watch it with the original dialogue and English subtitles (big, yellow, very easy to read), but it looks like the folks at Miramax spared no expense with the English track.

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

>X-men - Probably the best sci-fi movie this year.

X-men as a sci-fi? Best sci-fi of the year has to be Frequency.

Comment

One more addition to my list:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Man was that a great flick! It's more of a love story than an action fest, but there is fighting...a lot of fighting, but not in the action/chop suie sort of way. Very good movie. I'm glad they kept the Chinese dialog. And whether you believe me or not, I think the women at the theater enjoyed the movie more than the guys. Which was kind of odd for a Hong Kong flick.

So grab your girlfriends (or boyfriends) and go see it if it's in your town.

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I got both the X-men and Titan AE for Christmas. I have already seen the X-men at the theater. From the little I watched of Titan AE last night it looks like it going to be a pretty good movie.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Working...
          X