Clear All

• Aurora Borealis ALERT

Space Weather News for April 24, 2000

An interplanetary shock wave passed by NASA's ACE spacecraft at 0400 UT
    (midnight EDT) on April 24. The solar wind velocity jumped from 420 to 520
    km/s and the interplanetary magnetic field turned southward. These
    conditions are likely to create geomagnetic disturbances on Earth and
    possible displays of aurora borealis at middle latitudes. Sky watchers are
    advised to be on the lookout for Northern Lights near local midnight.

That means Monday guys'n gals!

For more information, please visit http://www.spaceweather.com

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 24 April 2000).]
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Oh!!No!!

Not another one of those "Mass Emissions Flashback" thingies.

I just hate that when everyone up North is having "Flashbacks" and seeing all those colored lights and we don't see that way down here. Don't you hate that??? I just hate that...LOL

Paul

Mike was just waiting for me to trash his thread...Don't you just hate that....LOL
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Well bugger it it's cloudy again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It's clear here, just hope to see a lightshow like last month

Pauly: just watch the video... someone will put it on the internet

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

It's getting darker but so far I can only see some stars and some bats.

Comment

Hunsow perhaps you could use your Webcam?
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Good idea, if something is showing I will try and make a picture, maybe even live pictures.

Comment

a quick question guys, is the aurora borealis(northern lights) a mirror image of the australis borealis(southern Lights). i remember seeing it on some doco(pretty cool doco too).
                cheers.

------------------
                Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.03, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @733, 160M pc100 sdram, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,
                Win98SE 4.10.2222A, DX7a.

Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,

Comment

Cancer Yup the same thing.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks Pit & this is very weird phenomenon but interesting none the less.
                    Cheers.

------------------
                    Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.03, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @733, 160M pc100 sdram, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,

Aopen HX08 full tower case, Asus P3V4X bios 1.04beta, P!!! FC-PGA 550e @770, Swiftech MC370-3 peltier cooler 256M PC133 Crucial 7E SDRAM, Matrox G400MAX bios 1.4 PDesk 5.52.015, Seagate 28.5G Ultra ATA66 7200rpm HD, Pioneer 103s DVD 6X/32X drive, SB AWE64 Gold ISA sound card, SMC pci ethernet adaptor, Castlewood Orb 2.2G media drive, Nortel 100 cable modem, Mitsubishi 1995 19in monitor, occasionally use dualhead for dvd on a Sony 80cm Wega TV, MS natural keyboard, MS Intellimouse Explorer,

Comment

Living in southern Finland I saw my first aurora borealis last winter. It was just awesome. The whole sky was colored with green and yellow 'waves' with red here and there. It cannot be captured on film. Now I really understand those Japanese tourists that come to Lapland from the other side of the globe to watch the sky. They even have one guide whose only duty is to watch the sky at nights and wake everyone up.

I was in the army at the time. They were so spectacular I actually didn't mind leaving the warmth of the tent and my rugsack. I'll remember that night for the rest of my life, standing there on snow covered rocky plain, brisk wind blowing, orienteering by the lights on sky.

(Just to make all you feel a bit more bad for not seeing Aurora Borealis
                      (0,1) Just my two bits.

Comment

why cant it be captured on film?
                        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I assume he means the 'atmosphere' cannot be captured on film.

------------------
                          Cheers,
                          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I hope so Steve, as I found the following four pics of Aurora Borealis and Aurora Australis:

I sure hope those are pictures

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jord (edited 28 April 2000).]
                            When I chose to go out
                            I always leave the light on
                            when I have to stay in,
                            you always find me by the phone.

My friends tell me that I'm lucky,
                            now that I'm living on my own,
                            and while they've never been more right,
                            can someone tell me when will love come home?

DJ Jean,- Love come home.

Comment

Space Weather News for May 1, 2000

A coronal mass ejection (CME) from a small sunspot group was recorded
                              by the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory on April 30, 2000. If
                              material from the eruption is heading toward Earth, as animations
                              of the CME suggest, then the shock wave will probably arrive
                              late on May 2nd or sometime on May 3rd. Forecasters estimate a
                              30% chance of active geomagnetic conditions at middle-latitudes
                              on May 3, 2000.

For more information, please visit http://www.spaceweather.com

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X