What a stunning film!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a stunning film!

I just watched Gladiator on DVD - the best film I've seen in yonks!

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

where in heavens name is yonks?
    couldn't you watch it at home??? lol

Comment

that must be some film festival.

Gladiator is kickass, though. Saw it twice in the theater, have the soundtrack, and hope to own the DVD.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

We watched the DVD twice this weekend. It is definately one of the best movies I've ever seen. I'd put it on my top 5 favorite list. The sound is really incredible, the story is engaging from beginning to end and the special effects are almost flawless.

Great flick!

(The artist formerly known as Kindness!)

Comment

And the 2 CD box set is nice too!

Hows the addiction going Steve?
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

quoted from Paddy[MU]:"Hows the addiction going Steve?"
            judging on the assumption that this is another new dvd he's purchased, I would say his problem remains unabated!

Comment

Gladiator GOOOOOD!!!

I ordered the Sig edition (2 disc set) but I accidently got 2 movie discs...I mean, only got the movie disc. I guess I'll haft to return it.

Watched X-men on DVD last night, too. Good movie. The extra scenes are pretty cool, too. For those who own it you can go to the Trailers and TV spots in the additional features. Then push left on the first trailer, a rose will get highlighted. Press enter and you can see a cut where Spiderman runs on set. It's funny.

For you theater going fans, check out Unbreakable and The 6th Day. They're both good.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Jammrock, I'm not sure I'd agree with the recommendation of Unbreakable. It's a full 2 days later and I'm still trying to figure out what that movie was about. Perhaps more exactly, I'm still trying to figure out why there wasn't an ending and how they could have added an ending that made sense.

Most of the movie was very good. But the ending, or lackthereof, just irritated the hell out of me. It made what I would normally consider a very good movie into only a mediocre movie. And then there was the opening sequence. Granted, that did make sense eventually, but it could have just as soon been left out.

Oh well, I geuss everyone will just have to make up their own mind about it.

Ian
                Primary System:
                MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
                120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
                Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
                Seccondary System:
                Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
                3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
                Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
                Tertiary system
                Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
                Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

AHA!! YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!! HAHAHAHAAHA!!! I borrowed the DVD off my brother <font size="-2">although, I might still buy it...</font>

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Unbreakable comes out here on Thursday and it's definitely high on my "must see list"

What Lies Beneath was one of the best movies I've seen in recent times - up there with Gladiator.

Interesting fact: Nutty Professor II: The Klumps comes out on DVD in the US before it comes out in the cinemas here. I'm thinking I might order the DVD - only a couple of dollars more than the cost of the tickets for my girlfriend and I.

Cerb
                    <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

Just wanna put in my 2 cents.....

Yup Gladiator is a good movie. Not "Shawshank Redemption" good, but definately the feel-good movie of the year for me... nice action sequences!

And now a warning.... watched "Space Cowboys" last night, and I have to say, do not go see this movie. If you must see it wait till you can rent it!
                      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Jammrock, I was waiting for Spiderman to show up. He always had the X-men's number.

Paul
                        paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Chris B: Yeah, Space Cowboys was the let down of the year for me.

Cerb
                          <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

I thought Space Cowboys was pretty good...oh well.

HedsSpaz,

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!
                            THE FOLLOWING POST CONTAINS INFORMATION ABOUT THE MOVIE 'UNBREAKABLE' THAT MAY SPOIL IT FOR YOU!!! DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE!!!

I don't know about you, but I used to be a big comic book fan, so the ending made perfect sense to me. If you think about it, the movie is a live action comic book. In comic book-dom, the villian or hero is typically created by his 'arch-nemesis'. For example, the Joker made Batman because of what he did to Bruce Wayne's parents. Had the Joker never killed the Wayne's, Batman would never have existed. Just like if Mr. Glass had never done what he did, Sentryman (or whatever he's supposed to be called) would probably never have existed.

The movie was only made to look like the real/normal world to trick you so you wouldn't see the ending coming. If you think of the movie as a comic book, then everything else falls into place. That's why that spiel about comic books in the begin was put there. If anyone wants to discuss this further, fire me an email.

END SPOILERS HERE!!!

paulcs,

Of course Spiderman has the X-men's number. He's got more style than they do. He could even kill vampires if he wanted to (inside joke about vampire movies...Now a days it seems the only thing you need to kill a vampire is style).

Jammrock
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

As a Cinefil i still think Breaveheart is MUCH better than Gladiator and i give this film(Gladiator) 6.5 out of 10.

[This message has been edited by alessandro (edited 28 November 2000).]
                              Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x---&gt;6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X