Alice and It's Appeal to Woman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice and It's Appeal to Woman

There are even plans to make a movie of American McGee's Alice. Rumor also has it that Natalie Portman wants to play Alice =)

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650
    256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
    40 GB storage from WD
    Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
    SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
    Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

While were on topic of Alice.
    I played the game, but I'm stuck at the underwater-swimming part. There I get a BLAZING framerate of 2 fps!!!! Even with all the settings down!
    Anybody have the same problem? I'm going nuts here.
    Thnx

------------------
    In case it's a harware problem:
    PIII-800@897, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
    Win2K drivers: 5.20
    In case it's a harware problem:
    PIII-500@560, 256 MB, G400 MAX DH on, ABIT BH6, MX300
    Win2K drivers: 5.52

Comment

Liz here, I was wondering how was the game itself? Not, that just cause I'm a woman and I'm drawn to it. We had downloaded 2 trailers for it a few months back. We were going to buy it as soon as it was released. Well, purchasing the PS2 set us behind a bit In our plans.It's becoming that time again though, so how do you boys like it? Is it worth buying? and if there is a post somewhere discussing it then lead me to it. I'm not one to search topics to see if i find it previously. Sorry
      www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Alice and It's Appeal to Woman

My roommate threw a birthday party for me over the weekend. The people who showed up were all in their thirties and forties. All of them had some experience with computers and gaming, although none of them were remotely hardcore.

I demostrated Alice, and the women were all drawn to it. I generally don't associate violent Quake 3 engine games with middle-aged women, but they seemed to find running around Wonderland, hacking (presumably male ) card guards to pieces appealling.

I guess the familiar story line and all that eye candy didn't hurt. I'm wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar with their wives, girlfriends, daughters, etc.

Maybe "Barbie's Dreamhouse of Pain" won't be far behind.

Paul
        paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 18 December 2000).]

Comment

I'd buy it!.....but then again I used to pull the legs of my sisters barbie dolls.

What does that say about me?
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Women drawn to violence, and identifying with a girl going around with a knife in hand, seems about right to me.

As for the card guards, talk about flat "chested".

[This message has been edited by Himself (edited 18 December 2000).]

Comment

Faran,

According to one of the guys from Rogue (over in the gaming forum, you can check it out), the fix is in final test over at EA and should be available any ol' time now.

Liz,

It's pretty good. The fighting is too hard, though. Or maybe it's just that it's not fast enough on my G400. Nah, that can't be it. The dual P3-700's and 512MB of RAM should more than compensate...

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Liz, it's very entertaining. Not a lot of shooting (so far), but plenty of knife play, bludgeoning, card throwing, etc. I've only played it on a very fast system with a very fast videocard, and gameplay has been very good.

It appears to need a patch for the G400 to prevent that slowdown FaRaN mentioned. It's a game bug, Rogue Entertainment is aware of it and what the problem is, they have said they will fix it, and apologized for the delay.

It's really nice to look at, Liz, but it uses the third person perspective. It's plot driven as well, with lots of jumping puzzles. I'm not sure what a competitive Unreal Tournament player like yourself might think. Maybe some of the serious FPS gamers (as opposed to a rank amateur like me) might give their perspective.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Performance is fine on a V3 so it can't be too bad on other cards.

Comment

Thanks Guys.. I think I might go buy myself a Christmas present in the morning! hee hee
                    I was hoping this game would be good!
                    I'm just not all about UT boys, (although I'm drawn to it every night when I get off work).. I play other games too. Deus Ex is a favorite, I've been playing a little of Diablo II. I'm a huge fan of C&C.. wish I played it more often though. I think I'm going to like Alice a lot.
                    i just like talking shit about UT.... have to keep them boys on there toes! haha
                    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                    X