Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice demo rocks, get it now!

http://www.avault.com/pcrl/demo_temp.asp?game=alice

It's based on the Q3 engine, so it's OGL, but it has great gameplay. Shades of the Nightmare before Christmas and Indiana Jones. This is a game I'd like to see get just a few more polygons, perhaps some bump mapping and some FSAA to make it perfect. Performance shouldn't be an issue, on my system it is smooth all the way up to 1600x1200 with max visuals turned on, quad sound at 44KHz, etc.

I'd post this in the games forum, but I don't read that one.

go on, be a devil & read the games forum!

Comment

Let me bring this into the realm of opinion...

NEEDS MORE NUDITY!!

Last I heard, this demo was to be uploaded on December 5th. You have to like a company that delivers early.

I walked into an Electronics Boutique (or whatever they're called these days), and they had a display set up with rows of game boxes. Empty game boxes. It had to be the most annoying display I've ever seen.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Well, I haven't played it yet, but I just d/l'd it.
        Choose the ftp.ea.com site to get it from...that server ROCKS
        It just set a new personal record for my cable connection for d/l speed .

78.6meg in 3min 25sec!!
        Ave. x-fer rate of 393 KB/s, peaking at 512 KB/s.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

paulcs,

The cat and the rabbit are nude, well the rabbit is nude from the waist down, the insects are also nude. The dwarf isn't but I can do without that, thank you very much. As for Alice, she's too young, only a sick person would want to see her nude.

Sort of makes for an interesting filter list on the RSN feature. Anybody can implement RSN, but can they implement AI to tell it not to render ugly or inappropriate subjects
          nude?

Comment

Forgot the cards and chess pieces, I guess they are nude as well. If you made the cards nude, you'd really have to read 'em and weep.

Comment

My DSL line maxes out at 105KB/sec, and this DL was right up against that limit the whole way through. Damn, I want my cable back. I used to get 250KB/sec in my old apartment.

------------------
              Andrew
              Carpe Cerevisi
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I've just finished the demo... very cool game... (and very weird, but that was expected ).

However, there are some scenes that slow down my system to a crawl... maybe you need a TnL card to play this game smooth?

It's the scene where you get the potion that makes you smaller (the room with the clockwork and the chemistry-set), and the scene where you jump into a hole in the ground, where you have to run to stay ahead of a ball. The last scene only is slow for the first 5 meters into the hole, and with slow I mean 1 frame or less per second

Also the game crashes when I move the console box with the mouse in the settings menu.

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 04 December 2000).]

Comment

I love that sequence, if this demo is any representation of the game it's a must buy. Took me an embarassing long time to figure out what to do though.

Can't say I noticed any slow downs here at all, but I am using 16 bit of course.

Comment

so was I, and I am also running at 800x600. Q3A runs at 70 fps in the timedemo (demo1) with those settings. I don't understand why the demo slows down so much in these areas.

It certainly is not my CPU (Coppermine @933MHZ) for sure

Comment

One difference between the V3 and the G400 drivers is the V3 hardware TCL emulation. There really shouldn't be much difference in speed outside of drivers and possibly options like trilinear or something which the V3 doesn't support and that eats the fillrate of the G400. You should get on Matrox's case to do something similar as the geometry assist on the V3, I'm sure code paths are being optimised for hardware TCL, just having the ability to use those paths probably helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X